The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Displaying Rice's Mis-Made Flag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I recently found what I consider a real collector's item; A Rice's Mis-Made Flag in very good condition at a swap and sell. I would like to display it in my office / magic room but do not want to expose it in such a way to cause the silk to deteriorate or fad the colors. Any suggestions? There may not be a way to display the silks the way I want to without causing damage to the silks. Still, I would love to display it because I consider Rice's silks works of art.

Any suggestions?

David
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Try e-mailing Rice and ask them for advice - they have a good website. I bet they have a way of displaying their goods in this situation as so many of their silks are collectors items.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5288 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Most framing studios/shops have UV glass. It prevents UV rays from damaging the artwork displayed under it. It is pretty standard for quality prints.

When mounting silk or any cloth glue white felt to the back board. The silk flag (or whatever) is simply placed on the felt then the glass is placed directly on the cloth. Every thing is then mounted inside the frame. The white felt keeps the cloth from sagging or sliding down in the frame. It's an old trick used in museums to preserve old flags and flat fabric objects (such as a silk magic trick!).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Harry,

Once again you have come through. What a great suggestion.

Thank you,

David
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Don't just thank Harry, David!

...send him your Rice flag in a true show of deep appreciation!!!! Smile

Just kidding. Smile Harry Murphy would be one of the very last one to seek remuneration for his sage suggestions and advice.

Keep your flag and display it proudly (as per Harry's suggestions) --or better yet,:light: perform the effect at least once for a live audience and "then" mount and display it on your wall proudly. It will not only serve to pay tibute to the beauty of an authentic Rice Silk, but also provide you with a wonderful and "magical" memory each time you look at it and remeber the fun you had peforminging with it! Smile Smile

With best regards, Smile

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Jonathan,

I really like that idea of performing with the silks before displaying it. I have a show this weekend which would be perfect for the mis-made flag.

Thank you,
David
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
The Forth of July is also coming up, David. Might be fun to put on a show then, even if you don't have an official booking. Perhaps for family and friends.

You could even play the stars and Stipes anthem in the background!

Just a thought.

If budget allows, you could also have a back projection screen with the sounds and sights of fireworks shooting off in the nightsky while you perform th effect to rousing applause.

OK, I beleive I'm getting a bit carried away.

Perhaps using it in your show this weekend would suffice.

... But Obama may wish to hire yo uto take this one effect on the road --Or McCain.

But lets not get political on this forum.

I have a show this weekend in Canada (Montreal area Golf Club) and will be performing my Mis-Mad Canadian Flag routine that night since it's Canada Day coming up. I will shoot white streamers out of my Cannon as I change the mis-made glag into a ten foot long(by one ft. high) red and white banner that has giant red Maple Leafs on each end and says: "O Canada" in the middle (the first two words of our national anthem!). Hope to get the guests signing in the aisles.

Even if they don't sing, it should be fun.

Best wishes David.

Let us know how your show with your Mis-Made Flag goes.

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
...did I say Mis-Made Glag"?!

Now there's a new twist on an old effect.

I meant Mis-Made Flag of course! lol

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Did you perform your mis-made flag routine David? Or might you do so tomorrow on the BIG day... July 4th!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Jonathan,

Yes, this last weekend at a family reunion I was hired for. I talked about the history of the flag and this Rice flag, the way it was made by Harold Rice, a mistake he made with the blue, etc.

It went very well. I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday to have it mounted and now it is retired.

Thank you for asking and a double thanks for the suggestion.

David Williams
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
You are most welcome David.

Congratulations for following through with this recommendation and for making the experience memorable fo rboth yourself and your audience.

BTW,, I have always noticed tha the Rice Flag "Blue" is more of a "purple" in color.

I am guessing that this is the mistake he made... is that right?

How much (in US dollars) might you estimate the market value of these Rice flags to be? Just curious, as I own two of them.

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Displaying Rice's Mis-Made Flag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL