The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Magic on Britain's Got Talent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
Hi I really wanted to ask this and hope I've posted this in the right place. We are now well into the Semi finals for Britains' Got Talent. So far all the magic acts haven't got any further with judges being rather rude about them. I think one got booed off too.

The magic tricks they did were rather old hat stage magic tricks e.g. producing items between figures and making an !@#istant appear from a basket on the stage to a balcony elsewhere in the theatre.

The audience seems to warm more to singers and dancers. Are traditional stage magic tricks losing its appeal with today's audience or is it a case that BGT chose awful acts to go through to the semis? It seems the likes of Derren Brown or dramatic magic from Blaine is the only magic that gets people excited now.

Is it still worth studying tricks that we saw in the 80s with the likes of Paul Daniels or when considering a stage act does the magician have to think outside the box more?
James Luff
View Profile
New user
Eastbourne, UK
74 Posts

Profile of James Luff
To be honest if you put Derren Brown up in front of those judges, he wouldn't last 30 seconds. It's a sad fact that the BGT judges and audience want instant gratification, you can't do anything on that show that doesn't give an instant pay-off. That's very hard to do in magic.

As I mentioned in another thread my friends Vizage are on tonight. Their quick change act might just be enough to see them through without getting buzzed off by the judges. You do get that instant wow factor with the costume changes, but it just depends what motives the shows producers have. I would obviously love to see them make the final, but I'm not sure they will get the public support needed. It seems you can only win if your under 10 years old or a singer!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

- Gregory Benford
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
Oh they are the singing quick changers? Fingers crossed I love quick change acts. Phil Blackmore, whose a friend of a friend, unfortunately didn't make it on Monday - he was the guy that juggled and balanced machetes and BBQs. He's also a magician.

Its just seems extra tough lately to do well on stage to a generic audience.

I don't know if things changed this year but I heard that BGT are usually looking for a singing act to win anyway.
James Luff
View Profile
New user
Eastbourne, UK
74 Posts

Profile of James Luff
I've also worked with Phil Blackmore, he has a great act. Shame he didn't juggle with the chainsaw really. I'm guessing the producers probably had an influence on what he did though.

The programme is produced by Simon Cowell, he is in the music industry so what he would like is someone he can make an album with and make money from that way. Do you think it's a coincidence that the winner last year was a singer? Or that the winner of America's Got Talent was also a singer? For all the talk about variety that the judges spew, they really don't care as long as they can exploit it to make good TV. Then if Simon gets his singer at the end, he'll be happy.

I would love to proven wrong, but I just don't see it happening.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

- Gregory Benford
davemajor
View Profile
Regular user
UK
184 Posts

Profile of davemajor
I completly agree with James, I to have worked with Phil Blackmore and his chainsaw act would of been better than the fire but on the other hand the judges really did treat him badly, saying stuff like "all you did is balance a bbq on your chin" ! lol I would like to see them do it,

also most magic acts on the programme are treated badly,
so I think the only way to win is like you say and be under 10 or a singer
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
To be fair if all the magic acts were so "bad" then why did they make the semis to be insulted by Simon and co? Phil is brilliant my guess why he held back on the chainsaw was maybe he needed it for the final if he made it in. They seem to expect you to raise the bar every time.
davemajor
View Profile
Regular user
UK
184 Posts

Profile of davemajor
Why did a guy with a key board make it to the semis, its to make good tv that's all. I didn't mean that all the magic acts were bad, ive seen vizage several times live and they wre better when doing the illusions, also ive seen deans do the chandelier act and that is etter then what they did in the semis

Phil is very good and what the judges said about his act was just plain nasty, and yeah I guess he did hold the chainsaw back till the final, but on the other hand he did drop back a level from his audition act. which was a shame
Dave Major M.M.C.
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
I know you didn't mean all magic acts were "bad". Sometimes its tricky getting a point across in a typed message. Maybe they were nervous or required to change their acts to tv/competition requirements in some way and had to tweak their acts to something toned down compared to what they would have done to a paying stage audience. I get mildly irritated that the final has so many singers in it. A lot more peeps can sing than do magic. (my view)
davemajor
View Profile
Regular user
UK
184 Posts

Profile of davemajor
Yeah I agree, if it was my show then singers wouldnt be aloud on it as they have their own shows like x factor that's why the other night I was hoping that the guy with the football would get through instead of the young singer, but I guess its what the public want,
maybe that's a bit far (no singers) but I think they should have a judge from the variety world rather than a ex - newspaper editor
Dave Major
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Magic on Britain's Got Talent (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL