The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » D'Lite Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dustin_The_Magic_Kid
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Dustin_The_Magic_Kid
Just out of curiosity, would D'Lite go good in a dusk street magic show or would it be better left to restaurant and table hopping parties? I have mixed feelings. I recently purchased my second D'Lite. I have been performing with one for too long Smile and I was thinking about adding it to my street show. Tell me what you think.
It's like that? I guess it's like that! OH YEAH!!! YEAH!! - wait, what are we talking about?
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2129 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I think D'Lite works anywhere - bad light, good light you name it.

Add to it a street show - that would be great - might draw people from far away - like a magic becon!

:D
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I use D'lites outside in the dusk, and the dark all of the time. I use them as an alternative to fire, and sometimes in conjunction with a flash shooter when real fire will add to the overall effect (Which I think is most of the time), but everywhere isn't safe for real fire, so in those cases, D'Lites make for a great attention beacon.

You won't believe the number of natural natural lines and pun opportunities you will have with them in a crowd at night. ;-)

Some people actually think it is real fire. So just keep it moving and have a good routine. And like moth's to a flame, they will be drawn to D'lite!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
MagicAL47
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of MagicAL47
Yeah...D'Lites really are an attention getter. It just really catches their attention. Smile
~Magic-Al~
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
If you can scare up the 'lite-up-ears' gimmick, it's very easy to throw together a 30 second routine that gets people's attention - well.. because people's ears just *aren't* supposed to light up, dangit!

(I used it at the local Dickens Xmas fair, going 'trolling for double-takes'...)
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I agree with mplegare, the fire ears gimmick is a great complement to D'Lites.

Another technique is to use a red laser pointer handled by you (or better yet, helper) that throws a light at the wall or something near you, or even on you, that you grab off, with the D'lite.

And if you are miked up, (it helps based on the crowd size) you can make a buzzing sounds that all can hear as the light from the laser dances around on the wall, way up high, and back down, and then you grab it! And the buzzing goes to anyother stramge sound you choose.... and now you have opened for the D'lite efffect in a way that builds the foundation for routine instead it just being of a couple of quick gag moves it.

Having another partner, or even the same one, that also has the d'Lite and can toss the light, etc. can make this little gem into a 10 minute act that plays big on the street or on stage/parlor venue.

BroDavid
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
That's a great idea! Plant someone in the crowd with a D'lite. Then anytime you want, you can just toss the light into the crowd, and your friend catches it (looking very suprised, of course), and tosses it back to you. I think that would play amazingly well!
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Just a few ideas:

1) D-lites are great when you pluck the little red light from the flash indicator on someones camera.

2) For a neat ending, ask them if they want to see it a little better. Have a sponge ball of the same color as your d-lite in your left hand and shuttle pass(? best way to describe it)the light into the ball. it looks as though the light became the ball and makes for a perfect lead in to a sponge ball routine.

3) Rocco makes a white d-lite that are about 5x brighter and have an incredible glow to them. It also opens you up to more possibilities (<--- to think i once won the spelling bee) of where to produce it from. they are bright enough to be used in daylight and still be seen.
Rich Fredeking
View Profile
Regular user
Jacksonville, Florida
147 Posts

Profile of Rich Fredeking
The Dlite video is a great companion to DLites
Rich Fredeking
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
This would definitely be good for street. Easy to use and small. Great for kids too.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
A funny gag to do with d'lites in a resturant or banquet setting is to "steal" the light from a coffee urn. When you reach over just turn off the red light and it magicially appears at your fingertips.

(Just don't forget to turn it back on before you finish your show or people will get grumpy over the cold coffee) Smile

I think d'lites would work very well in a street setting too, as the others said, would immediately attract attention.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Quote:
On 2003-04-06 14:29, RandomEffects wrote:

Rocco makes a white d-lite that are about 5x brighter and have an incredible glow to them. It also opens you up to more possibilities (<--- to think i once won the spelling bee) of where to produce it from. they are bright enough to be used in daylight and still be seen.

Matthew,

I haven't seen the white D'lites around do you know where I can find a couple?

Thanks!
Tony Chapparo
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean Dill just started to market a KILLER item to go with D'lite... it is a necktie that has a picture of a lightbulb on it with a little chain. You pull chain and light on the tie goes on and off... and combined with a D'lite you have a terrific routine.

Not cheap, $100.00 -- but beautifully made. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3139 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I use the d'lites in dim light conditions only. Seems like the effect is stronger! You can see your thumb glowing through the light!
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
I've used double D'Lites, a glowing concert wand from Radio Shack, and Lite Flight (a floating and animated, spinning red light) in a street routine.

The lights are definately an attention getter, and one guy I met didn't want to see anything else after that display...

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Has anyone heard of the color changing d'rose???

Is it good?

How bright is it?

Help here would be appreciated

Thanks
Smile

Is there anyway of making a d'lite brighter, by altering the tt in some way!
Smile Smile Smile
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Yeah, D'lite would be great at dusk, or anywhere where theres a bit a darkness. Becuase the d'lite is bright, it is distracting to people, so they look over and are atracted to the strange thing. I saw one dude, who was in Spain and he was doing the dlites at dusk. He wasnt very intusiastic, but he still pulled a crowd.
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein
smile4wandini
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of smile4wandini
only my opinion; D'lites are great fun at a night time party, or dusk is good to. I have used them to help me gather a table together at a party for a photo op. Keep your bit not to long and they will watch for them use them too much and they lose there magic.
:goodluck:
www.smilephoto.com
The Great Wandini
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
Is there some way that we can mark questions that have yet to be answered?

Smile

You're such a bright bunch (forgive the word choice), and I'd like to see - Café wide - points followed up, or marked by somebody as unanswered.

Ashkenazi The Pretty Good
------------

We could have been practicing!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Interesting idea Kurious.

Some questions go unanswered for good reason, but most of them have already been asked and answered and can be found with a search. The archive here are rich with answers to questions which keep coming up.

Other questions are asking for more than can/should be given in public view. In those cases, they simply will not be answered.

However, it would be interesting if the content here was indexed in some way, to allow a "drill down" to the messages, rather than a search.

But all in all, more questions get answered, than go unanswed here. That is what is so great about this place. Magicians Helping Magicians.

BroDavid
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » D'Lite Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL