The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » My "Other" Car is an Abrams (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Ok, I've finally had a little time recently to fool around with some personal visual effects. I always felt that magic and visual effects are very close, which is one reason I like both so much. In both, you are creating an illusion of reality that doesn't exist.

I've wanted to post something like this awhile ago, but couldn't due to NDA. So I went outside my house and filmed my empty street and created this.

[img]http://www.reelsinmotion.com/video/...... to play

Let me know what you think! Its just a little project I did for fun. There's no sound yet, since I'm still working on tweaking the video.

Scott
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
374 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
That is awesome! How hard is it to learn how to do that?

Nick
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Thanks Nick! I appreciate your comments.

How hard is a relative term, I think. It is so much like magic, which is why I posted it here. Like magic, you can spend a lifetime perfecting your craft. I've been doing this type of stuff for several years and still see nothing but flaws in my work.

But what you see is actually several steps and programs combined:

1. Shoot footage with imaginary tank and animation in mind
2. Load into computer and "matchmove" to get a 3D representation of the camera
3. Animate the tank
4. Use the matchmoved camera in the 3D program to render out several 'passes' of the tank
5. Composite (or 'glue') the pieces together in a compositing program (I use Shake)
6. Add audio and color grade for the final look

Also, I've updated the above link with a new version of the video with audio.

Scott
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
724 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Nice job ! looks pretty darn realistic to me.
Bob.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Too bad there wasn't someone riding a bicycle. Would love to see someone knocked off the bike, that would be funny. Not funny in real life (since I am a cyclist) but funny in a make believe way!

Thanks for sharing, Scott!
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Thanks for the comments, Bob.

Justin, I just visited your NYC by Bicycle page. Nice. How long have you been biking?

Scott
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
All my life Scott. But I didn't become serious untill 1989 when Greg Lemond won the Tour de France. A little while after that I got my first hi-tech road bike; A $1,200 Carbon fiber Trek. Since then, it's been 100 mile rides!

Call me when you are in the city, I'll take you for a spin.
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
That was awesome Scott! I wondered what you'd been up to! Saw Randy and Francis at Bob Little's a couple weeks ago. Hopefully we'll all hook up this summer! My best to the family!
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Thanks Ben! I wanted to make it out to Bob's but was too swamped with video editing work.

We'll have to touch base soon. Give me a ring sometime.

Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » My "Other" Car is an Abrams (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL