The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The French Drop...grrrr (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
The muggles thing makes me smile every time I read it. Smile
This is my sig until I can get photobucket to work right Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
One thing to do is to not do the sleight, but actually take the coin

That right.
The FD should be done casually. Preferably not as a stand alone trick but as an unimportant part of a routine.

If you need to take a coin. or anything for that matter, from your hand to free up that hand, how would you do it?
This is something we all do normally but once we start thinking magic the simplicity of just taking an object becomes a studied move.

Quote:
One thing to do is to not do the sleight, but actually take the coin

Good luck,
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Hey Will,
Keep perfecting the FD, however as you investigate coin magic and maybe purchase some of the books recommended, you will probably find a better coin vanish (one that will seem more natural to you).
Good luck, thanks,
Bruce
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Yeah I'm going to get one of the coin books probably next week. I'll just keep practicing until then.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
I love the retention vanish. Nothing fairer than that I think. But it needs to be stressed, that after you make the pass, make it look like you are doing it for a reason... also, wait a few beats before you show the coin vanish... Instant vanish Points the spec to the method... a Little time and distance obscures the method.

Make a magic gesture, snap the fingers. it really sells to the spec when the magic happened. What I do sometimes is after I make the magic gesture, I act all flusterred cause the coin is still there... I then do the gesture again with More emphasis... this misdirects the spec to when the magic actually happened.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 19:13, Preston68 wrote:
Relax would be my first suggestion. Remember, you're doing this for fun. Maybe STOP practicing it for a while, and then go back to it.

This is really, really good advice. For some odd reason, I can practice something for hours or days, and I just can't get it. I give it a break for a few days or a week or so, then I try again, and it's a LOT easier to get. And this holds true with my magic, my drums, and my guitar. It's a really funny thing. Good luck!!!

I also suggest to slow down. Get the motion correct, and then pick it up once it falls into place, no pun intended.
The method is not the secret.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Dai Vernon addresses this sleight in his book "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic" by Lewis Ganson. It is the example he uses when he explains his theory of being" natural". This helped me out tremendously when I learned the sleight many years ago.
Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
I think my FD is (slowly) getting better. I still have to work a bit on my timing and motions but it's a lot better than yesterday.

Revolution, on the other hand, is godly. A friend of mine let me check out his DVD and it's great. It seems a little angly but I'm sure I'll learn them in practice. But I can't see building a routine around just because it would seem to "finalize" your coin routine. It might just be because I'm still learning and haven't really thought about putting together a routine yet but the way it ends just makes it seem like there is no more coin magic to be had for a while. But the skill is still very useful for smallish objects.

I plan on working on my FD this weekend since I'm off. I'm probably be picking up J.B. Bobo's book also.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
The best thing about the FD is it's applicability. You can use it with coins, with sponges, with crochet balls for the C & B routine... etc... basically anything small enough.

I remember once a friend asked me fi I can do some magic, I was coin-less... so I looked around , found a 9 volt battery.. I did a coin flurry with a 9 volt battery.

So keep up the practice.

As an aside, there is value in getting a good night's sleep, and practicing just before sleep. your mind keeps working on the practice even as you sleep. This includes Motor skills. Secondly, a day's break from time to time actually improves your rate of learning.

lastly, don't burn yourself out. Keep it fun. The moment you think of FD practice as a chore, leave it be for a day or so.. do something else..

keep us posted Smile
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
wackyvorlon
View Profile
New user
Sarnia, ON, Canada
72 Posts

Profile of wackyvorlon
I find I have trouble keeping my fingers from flicking when I do the secret move in the french drop. It takes a lot of practice to get it natural.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
What has worked for me is lining up the pinky of my left hand so that it covers the finger tips of the right hand...giving those fingers some cover. the Pointer of the left hand covers the thumb of the right hand... work hard to NOT move the fingers of the right hand. The ONLY finger that should move is the thumb of the right hand.

The finger placement provides cover for any unnecessary finger motion and flash. I used to flash a lot, and I still do from time to time. So that is one of the things I am always practicing.

Always remember as you pull the left hand away, make a big gesture, while looking at the left hand... This covers other things going on by directing attention. Move the fingers of the left hand to reposition the coin comfortably in the left hand. Wait a couple beats... Then make a magic gesture, a snap of the fingers works very well, as it does a few things at one time. The magic gesture, does a lot to psychologically convince the spectator of the situation. It cements in their mind when the magic takes place. if anything is unclear PM me.

Just a few thoughts...
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi Will,
Also known as Le Turniquette drop.
Practice without the coin first. As many of the coin moves should be done that way,simply to help coordinate mind and hands. Once comfy with that you can start using the coin. I'm a right handed so here goes. Placing the coin in position by r. thumb and first fingers ( it looks like a big C)both hands are in same position. The right hand thumb on top,the left hand thumb on bottom by the right palm almost touching.I'm sure you know how anyway.The Move to practice: The left hand moves away from you towards it's left, the right hand moves toward you. The left hand makes a grabbing motion to take away the coin in close palm. practice this meny times.
Respectfully DonRodrigo
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
I'm a righty too but doesn't the coin start in your left hand and "ends up" in your right hand?
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
What always made the French Drop problematic for me was a tendency for the left hand to "clutch" as the sleight was being performed, which was a bad "tell" and a dead giveaway. Also, I was always leery of the angles, which can be a little dicey. Finally, the whole idea of taking a coin in your fist never seemed very natural to me.

I tried all sorts of fixes, using Arthur Buckley's alternative (and creative) hold on the coin, and then taking the coin at the fingertips instead, etc. Finally, I decided all that effort was better used for different sleights that were easier and simpler for me to execute, and that didn't have so much baggage.

Remember, you don't have to learn every sleight in Bobo; if you can just handle one or two or three well, you will be fine. I think you can still become a member of the Magic Castle without having to do the French Drop! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 08:35, Will DThrill wrote:
I'm a righty too but doesn't the coin start in your left hand and "ends up" in your right hand?

It should appear that way but NO, not really.

Quote:
Posted: Jun 6, 2008 11:02am by Seth:
Finally, the whole idea of taking a coin in your fist never seemed very natural to me.

I agree. Be relaxed and casual. 'Taking' the coin with the thumb and fingers seems to be best.
--
Here are some tips:
The move shouldn't be focused on or even looked at. It's done casually and without hesitation.
People will follow the movement. As the RH 'takes the coin' it moves to the next segment of the routine and the LH relaxes.
Follow the hand that's supposedly holding the coin with your head and eyes.

I like to move my LH, which is holding the coin, to the right and to my RH. RH continues this 'flow' taking the coin and moving to the right as the LH lowers and relaxes.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Anyone else think that we are discussing too much on an open forum? Describing what the move is?? I really think we should take a few steps back, and remember that any Curious Tom, Dick, and harry can come around and read this.

While I know that this information may be " out there" does not mean we have to spell it out for the spectators and exposers... I realize that someone MAY end up breaking into my house for example...does not mean that I help him find My hidden cash stash, and Gift wrap my china...

Know what I mean?
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
I understand what you're saying. I think I have a better understanding of the move and I don't want to be responsible for any major exposure so I'll shut up Smile
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Will, it was not only directed at you... It just seemed to snowball, and everyone adding their handlings etc.. I think that secret sessions is there for a reason. I remember only having 1 or 2 posts, and wanting those 50 posts to come ASAP. I just waited, read, asked pertinent questions, made comments I felt were appropriate, and 50 came pretty quick.

I just hate handing out the silverware ... You'll get to 50, then we can discuss french drops or whatever to our heart's content. I did not intend it to be directed only at you. So no need to shut up... We just need to be judicious about what we discuss in the open area...
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
I know it wasn't directed at me. I was just making a joke. But I did feel a bit responsible since I was the one that asked the question.
Kit
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Kit
Hi Will,

The best piece of advice which keeps popping up, especialyl with coin magic is to leave it for a while, take a break. I remember when I was first learning how to coin roll, it took me about 3 months of solid practice before getting it down remotely well.

Like you, I became frustrated and almost gave up learning the flourish all together. Someone told me to relax and to leave it alone for a few days, when I came back to it I had made more progress in the first hour than I did in the entire last week before the break.

As for the FD itself, another good tip that helps it look natural is to keep the index and thumb holding the coin motionless. Once you "steal" the coin the finger and thumb should still be in the same position for a split second.

Stick with it, but have a day off every now and then, you will find it comes easier that way.

Kit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The French Drop...grrrr (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL