The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 120,000 year old ice found to harbor life. Simply amazing! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Research presented this morning at Penn State on the discovery of a new, ultra-small species of bacteria that has survived for more than 120,000 years within the ice of a Greenland glacier at a depth of nearly two miles. From the psu.edu announcement: "The microorganism's ability to persist in this low-temperature, high-pressure, reduced-oxygen, and nutrient-poor habitat makes it particularly useful for studying how life, in general, can survive in a variety of extreme environments on Earth and possibly elsewhere in the solar system. This new species is among the ubiquitous, yet mysterious, ultra-small bacteria, which are so tiny that they are able to pass through microbiological filters. Called Chryseobacterium greenlandensis, the species is related genetically to certain bacteria found in fish, marine mud, and the roots of some plants."
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
LIFE is amazing. I can't wrap my mind around how ANYTHING could survive such conditions!

Imagine what will be discovered tomrrow? Let alone next week, next year!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
That's nothing. Once when I was drinking a scotch on the rocks, I found a fly in my ice cube.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 10:36, Dannydoyle wrote:
LIFE is amazing. I can't wrap my mind around how ANYTHING could survive such conditions!

That was my sentiment when I found this article. My mind was simply blown away bythe seeming impossibility of it. Here's to life! Smile
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
I thought the world was only 6000 years old?

(Sits back, puts feet up on table and rubs hands in anticipation..)

Mods - Only kidding
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 14:43, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 10:36, Dannydoyle wrote:

That was my sentiment when I found this article. My mind was simply blown away bythe seeming impossibility of it. Here's to life! Smile

Yea if we can manage to keep the "how life began" debate subsided at least for this thread, it is impossible to me NOT to marvel at its majesty! No matter HOW it began it is just beyond words the concept.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Ok Danny, couldn't help myself Smile It is beyond my imagination to understand how a living organism can survive so long. I doubt there is much even of the physical world that survives to this day as it was 120,000 years ago. Phenomenal.

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
You all know what this means, right? The bacteria will spread out of control, killing the vast majority of the world's population, while at the same time resurrecting Charlton Heston, who creates the only known vaccine, and spends the next few years trying to find the leader of the plague-affected survivors, a former news anchor in Los Angeles named Matthias. Matthias heads "The Family", the non-Italian group of plague-affected survivors, who are all intent on killing Heston.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
120,000 years??? Questionable but still interesting.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 17:01, Chessmann wrote:
You all know what this means, right? The bacteria will spread out of control, killing the vast majority of the world's population, while at the same time resurrecting Charlton Heston, who creates the only known vaccine, and spends the next few years trying to find the leader of the plague-affected survivors, a former news anchor in Los Angeles named Matthias. Matthias heads "The Family", the non-Italian group of plague-affected survivors, who are all intent on killing Heston.

Charlton Heston?

It's Will Smith old man.

:) Smile Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Next you'll be telling me Charlton Heston landed on the Planet of The Apes and not Marky Mark!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 17:39, GlenD wrote:
120,000 years??? Questionable but still interesting.

Penn State is a pretty reputable research institution, and I don't have the equipment to test their findings. I'm willing to both take them at their word, and/or have the integrity to state so if their findings ultimately come up short. SHeeesh!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 18:09, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 17:01, Chessmann wrote:

Charlton Heston?

It's Will Smith old man.

:) Smile Smile

Will Smith is right on....but Chuck Heston is THE MAN! :^)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
. . . and they know the ice is that old, how?
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
They added up all the snowflakes

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-06-05 18:07, Dustin Baker wrote:
. . . and they know the ice is that old, how?

probably by Cesium 4 radiotype dating.... Amongst the dozens of other scientificly founded methods of determining the bloody age of permafrost ice.

I heard that they rattled some bones and chanted before they published the paper, if that's what you're getting at.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
In the words of one archeologist,
Quote:
As soon as I saw it, I knew it was at least 5 million years old.

That's all I have to say about that.

Quote:
On 2008-06-06 01:05, gaddy wrote:
I heard that they rattled some bones and chanted before they published the paper, if that's what you're getting at.

More like they spread their legs, squatted down, and pulled a number from where the sun don't shine.

Unfortunately, so much of the scientific community is full of BS these days. Actual science doesn't matter anymore, just getting the next grant check.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
They counted 120,000 rings...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3248 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 01:27, Dustin Baker wrote:
In the words of one archeologist,
"As soon as I saw it, I knew it was at least 5 million years old."
That's all I have to say about that.

Quote:
On 2008-06-06 01:05, gaddy wrote:

More like they spread their legs, squatted down, and pulled a number from where the sun don't shine.

Unfortunately, so much of the scientific community is full of BS these days. Actual science doesn't matter anymore, just getting the next grant check.

riiight.... It's a big conspiracy to get beople to think that little bugs live in ice! Haha! The checks will be rolling in when we pull THIS one off!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1298 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Science is corrupt, that's all. Not that it is all bad or of no benefit. You just got to keep in mind that so much is politically/financially driven that it makes sense to try to see beyond the latest announcement and also see what legislation is ready to get incorporated from what "the scientists" are now saying.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 120,000 year old ice found to harbor life. Simply amazing! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL