The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hayfever (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1021 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Surgery will not correct any allergies as the problem is an immune issue. Enlarged adenoids, polyps, hypertrophic turbinates, a narrow sinus drainage system can be corrected by surgery as these are anatomical issues, not the genetic driven immune responses to allergens in the environment that is the driving force in allergy sufferers. If anthing, surgery can worsen an allergy sufferer.

Yes, the correct term for "hayfever" is allergic rhinitis. The best approach is flushing out the allergens in the nose, daily use of nasal cortisone spray, or allergy shots to desensitize (but not always effective)
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5833 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2010-06-25 12:41, stoneunhinged wrote:
This year I can't hide in my room suffering, because I have a new dog who needs his walks. I usually take him on 2 2-3 mile walks per day.

So much for going out and exercising.
Smile Walking isn't really exercise. Unless your dogs are taking you for a run, you have not really gotten out and gotten the exercise required.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
What! You mean you think I should do something heavy on the cardiovascular side, breathing deep lungfuls of pollinated air?

My goodness.

Not even my hippy leftist vegetarian peacenik healthnut wife has suggested I do that.

But you may have a point.

Next time I have a real fit, I'm doing fifty miles on my bike to see what happens.

Uh, but next year.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
So,exercising in the great outdoors cures hayfever.
What have the doctors been doing all these years?
I'm also gonna stop walking now that I've learn't it's not real exercise.The hours I've wasted!
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Are you sure it is hayfever and not asthma? I am dying from a variety of problems starting with asthma, and this point in time it has me full blast in breathing difficulties.

BTW, I never had allergies or asthma until I turned 60.
Dennis Michael
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5833 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes Stone, get real exercise in the environment which harbors the offending element. It'll do you good.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
George, I don't have allergies, when they straightened my nose the doctor said it flushed more effectively so less colds etc. If ya wanna argue with him let me know and I'll give you his name and number.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2010-06-26 01:45, GeorgeG wrote:
The best approach is flushing out the allergens in the nose, daily use of nasal cortisone spray, or allergy shots to desensitize (but not always effective)

I used cortisone spray when I was a lot younger. It didn't really work- my nose was too stuffed for it to get up in my sinuses. When it did get up there, it wrecked my sense of smell (except for strong (or tasty) odors like bacon.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1021 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
MagicSanta...it's what I said any - anatomical issue can be corrected with surgery. In your case, you must have had a significantly deviated septum that the operation, called a septoplasty, must have corrected your problem. Some surgeons will also perform what is called turbinate reduction, that will also further improve air flow through the nose when the septoplasty is done.

EsnRedshirt...cortisone nasal spray should work, unless 1) it's not an allergy problem or 2)there is so much allergy inflammation in there that there isn't enough cortisone in the spray to ever reverse it, so a very high dose is needed to bring the inflammation down to a manageable level. This means a cortisone injection (Kenalog or Solumedrol) or cortisone pills (Prednisone or Medrol) for 5 to 10 days.
jesse_james_mcguire
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jesse_james_mcguire
Got some Allegra D and you will be fine.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dats what I had! A septoplasty.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doctor GeorgeG
The 10 mg of Loratadine that I do every morning no longer works. My eyes water, nose runs, and I sneeze a lot. My wife tells me to ask my family doctor for generic Alegra 180mg. I need the generic because of the price, and the Loratadine no longer works for me. Could I have a free diagnosis please?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1021 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Antihistamines "mask" not heal allergies...much like cough medicine helps with the coughing in a bronchitis, but does not heal the bronchitis. This is why they eventually fail to help in the long run, as the allergy inflammation continues to progress. Antihistamines were really designed as temporary relief, not for long term management.

IF you have to continue with an antihistamine, try rotating every 6 weeks. Loratadine and cetirizine (generic for Zyrtec) are available with NO prescription. These two can be taken twice a day, if needed. Chlorpheniramine 4mg (older and cheap, over the counter antihistamine) is especially great for runny nose, postnasal drip, or throat clearing due to a property called "anticholinergic" that is not found in the newer antihistamines. It comes in 4mg tablets and can be taken 1-2 at bedtime, but can cause daytime drowsiness and not recommended if you have an enlarged prostate.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
George,what's your opinion on Toms,running round in a field full of pollen,cure?
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Thank you very much Doctor George.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hayfever (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL