The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What to do in Columbus? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
I arrived in Columbus, Ohio today. I'm with my wife who is attending TNNA (some knitting and needlepoint wholesale convention or whatever). Anyone know of anything interesting or magical to do in Columbus for the next 4 days?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
There are at least 2 magic shops listed in the Yellow Pages, or at least there were about 2 years ago, but I never got a chance to check either of them out.
Good luck!
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Visit the Jack Nicklaus museum:

http://www.nicklausmuseum.org/

Can't say if it is worth it or not. The one time I was in Columbus, the museum had yet to open.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Things have probably changed a bit since college, but here are a few ideas:

One of the magic shops was, at one time, U.F. Grant's. Don't know if its still open, but if it is GO! It was a classic old fashioned magic shop and a wonderful place to while a way a free Saturday.

The Center of Science and Industry is a great place to visit. I believe they still have their historic Nickelodeon running with classic silent films. It's sort of an enhanced hands-on family museum kinda place. Dave Thomas' Wendy's #1 is...was... right across the street but I hear they've since closed it. Sad thing, that. The riverfront has some great shopping, dining and a few great tourist spots.

If you like German food and drink hit German Village about a half mile from downtown. It used to be the place to go...if you don't mind polka music. In fact, when I was at OSU in the 70's, German Village had the only polka discoteche I've ever seen. Oompah! Smile

Columbus has a great zoo and aquarium about 10-12 miles out of town. You might be able to catch a great old fashioned baseball game with the Columbus Clippers. Check the schedule.

Short North Arts District is right downtown. It's sort of the Greenwich Village of Columbus. Great galleries, restaurants and street Cafés.

The Botanical Gardens about two miles from downtown have greenhouse displays covering nearly every U.S. temperate zone. A fun place to walk and think, especially on a hot or rainy day.

If you have the time and love roller coasters, Cedar Point theme park is about a 90 minute drive north. I grew up in Sandusky about a half mile from the Point.

If you're having trouble sleeping, visit Marion about 20 minutes north of Columbus. Marion has two claims to fame: Pres. Warren Harding's home, museum and tomb are there and Marion Power Shovel built the Cape Canaveral Crawler that transports the rockets and space shuttles to the launching pads. If Marion doesn't put you to sleep, nothing will.

If you're into airplanes, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and Air Museum is about a 90 minute drive south. Home of the Wright Brothers. The museum houses the world's largest collection of military aircraft.

If all else fails, I'll send you my uncle's address. He'll talk your ear off and his darling German wife will stuff you to the gills. Smile

Enjoy the visit!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
Thanks for the tips and ideas guys! I'll be checking them out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What to do in Columbus? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL