The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Refrigerated butter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Should butter be refrigerated?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Everyone knows the answer to this.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Then why won't they tell me?

Sure, if I asked about the origins of life, or global climate, people would be all over this. But proper food storage???
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2448 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Yes, to avoid rancidity - on the other hand I never have a problem keeping a plastic-wrapped dish of it at room temp for a day or two (I ain't dead yet and I have detected no tendency to go rancid).
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 22:59, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Should butter be refrigerated?

Land O Lakes says:

Once I open the butter carton, how should I store the butter?

Once opened, refrigerate butter, in its original container in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the refrigerator door. To further protect butter, store in a resealable plastic food bag.

Fresh butter should have a delicate cream flavor and pale yellow color. Butter quickly picks up “off” flavors during storage and when exposed to oxygen. The FlavorProtect ™ Wrapper , found on LAND O LAKES ® Salted and Unsalted Butter, is specially designed to keep the creamy taste you love in and other flavors out. However, for further protection, store butter away from foods with strong odors, such as onions or garlic.

How long can opened butter stay in the refrigerator?

It is best to use the butter by the code date stated on the package to ensure quality. However, under optimal storage conditions, butter may be suitable for use beyond this date. This determination is up to each individual consumer.

Can I freeze butter?

Butter can be frozen in its original carton for up to four months from the time of purchase. To protect the delicate flavor of butter, wrap the carton in aluminum foil or in an airtight, resealable plastic freezer food bag before freezing. Once the butter has been thawed, it should be used within 30 days.

Is it safe to keep my butter on the kitchen counter so it is always soft?

We recommend that you follow the “Keep refrigerated” directions printed on the butter packaging. This follows USDA and FDA guidelines that state most dairy products should be stored in refrigerated conditions. We also recommend butter be used by the date stamped on the packaging

You may also want to use LAND O LAKES® Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil. It is easy to spread - no need to soften! You can use it right from the refrigerator.

http://www.landolakes.com/common/Faqs_pr......goryID=5
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Reading this made me think. Is it REAL butter? In a carton? I've never anywhere found real butter in a carton, always in a foil wrapper. And yes, I mean REAL butter, not some composite. Am I to believe REAL butter in a carton is available in the good old US?
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
My butter comes in a wax paper wrapper.

I eat it with a spoon. Storage isn't an issue.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
For several thousand years people used butter that had not been refrigerated. We recently stopped using maragarine and switched to butter. We had to look far and wide to find a glass butter dish in local stores. It's kept on the table.

Many "refrigerate after opening" directions are nonsense.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Josh, butter should definitely NOT be refrigerated. It makes it too hard to spread on that mushy white bread you use to make your ham and cheese sandwiches.

Germans, in general, are BIG butter eaters. My wife goes through more butter in a day than I do in a week.

We do keep it refrigerated in the summer. We just take it out a few minutes before we eat. I don't see the difficulty. I think the big issue is that wimpy bread you Americans tend to eat. Speaking of which, I smell a new thread in the oven!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Yes, cooking/baking butters (stick) should be refrigerated.
No, table butter should not be refrigerated, but, it should be fresh.
Margarine should be tossed in the trash.
Why would you buy crappy butter to spread on toast. If you've ever used delicious, salted, creamy butters from Europe, the UK, or organic dairies you'd never use brand name stick butter for anything but baking.
POOF!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
My grandmother kept her butter on the table, and I've known several chefs who keep a pot of drawn (or clarified) butter on hand at all times. I've never seen anyone die from it. Naturally, it should be covered to keep "things" out of it. Watch out for contaminates from the knife, spoon, ladle, brush, etc. used.

Salted butter has a tendancy to keep longer than unsalted, but unrefrigerated butter in general will definitely have a shorter shelf life than that kept in the fridge, or freezer. Climate should be considered a factor, too.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Some of the archaeological finds in Ireland are barrels of ancient butter, buried in the bogs. In 1817, the Norsemen, the Finns, the Icelanders, and the Scots had done the same: they flavored butter heavily with garlic, knuckled it into a wooden firkin, and buried it for years in the bogs‑for so long that people were known to plant trees to mark the butter's burial site. The longer it was left, the more delicious it became.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Speaking as someone who lives in Las Vegas, butter should most definitely be refrigerated.

Of course, we have to refrigerate just about everything in this town that can melt. There's a reason why Las Vegas is not the ice sculpture capital of the world.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Butter should be AVOIDED. Use Olive Oil instead.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Tolja
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Ajlot!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2448 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2008-06-07 14:08, Justin Style wrote:
Butter should be AVOIDED. Use Olive Oil instead.

Well, for good bread (no, REALLY good bread) a little puddle of extra-virgin olive oil some chiffonaded herbs, maybe a dash of salt ... mmm!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-06-07 09:42, stoneunhinged wrote:
Josh, butter should definitely NOT be refrigerated. It makes it too hard to spread on that mushy white bread you use to make your ham and cheese sandwiches.

Stone, I eat brick heavy bread. Spelt, when I can get it. Ham, Butter and Cheese? Why not throw some crab on there and eat it during Yom Kippur. My dad would dig his own grave, jump in, and roll around.

As far as the rest of you, it goes in the fridge! How dare you agree with my wife. This survey will be cherry picked and ignored.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I like to keep mine cold, I feel better about it.

But nothing beats nice heavy, fresh bread with butter and a bit of sugar sprinkled on it.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL