The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The turtle want to say something. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Guys. I think I'm going to go away for awhile.

I knew I was never as good as you guys. I never would be. But I was happy with what I was doing. I seemed to be making people happy and getting a couple of bucks in the process.

I had a couple of good crowds tonight, but nobody (I mean NOBODY) dropped dime one into the bucket! On top of that, there was a guy who just casually blew me out of the water. (He wasn't even trying. He was just showing a few things to the guys who I'd just finished with.)

I don't feel really positive right now.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3169 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Meh...

just get back out there.

Don't sweat the guys who are better than you. I've just been to New York City and they ALL EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM INCLUDING THE CHILDREN WHOOPED MY BUTT. I was quite bummed by this until I realized that they never busked before. NOT ONE OF THEM.

I, like you, Ed, do not do this full time. And recently "not at all" time, as work and play and being a newlywed has gotten in the way of the "holy art of street performing".
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24266 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ed:

Don't give up. One guy...ONE GUY...does not necessarily a magician make. He may have known some stuff, but does he know how to get out in front of the crowds every weekend and work in the bad weather, the good weather, and make people laugh, smile and put money in the hat? Probably not.

We all have off days. Put this one behind you, and don't let it get you down.

There's a book you should read. It doesn't have anything at all to do with magic, but it has everything there is that you can imagine to do with being successful. It's called Psychocybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.

I read it when I was in college. I still read it from time to time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3169 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Also, as an aside...
If you ever encounter guys who decide to upstage you and do tricks on YOUR OAK after YOUR show, clap loudly, and then don't hesitate to pass the hat around again.

THEN KEEP THE HAT.

You double your take.

99/100 times they've never busked before -and they will not understand what you've just done nor will they question it if you just move along and just start up again like nothing ever happened. If they challenge you just get louder. MUCH LOUDER. If they persist, threaten violence.

9/10 of even THOSE jokers will stop...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
cenafreak0709
View Profile
New user
Memphis
59 Posts

Profile of cenafreak0709
Ed, just get out there and do it. It might take you longer to learn about all of the sublties (spelling) and how to perform- no offense, I haven't seen you perform, Ok Ill shutup now Smile
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Ed, each and every one of us has had something very similar happen. Our only response is Oh nuts, tomorrow will be a better day. And is always is a better day.. Heck ask Danny, Jimmy, Koz, any busker if that hasn't happened to them and you'll get a "Yes" from every one of them.

Get back out there on the street and go to work!

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Ed, Don't be a wienie. Get your stuff and go back out there. The reason I've always known weren't a turtle is because you went out and did it. It's what you do that counts! You take the good days with the bad and keep going, man! DO NOT QUIT!!!
What would Wavy do?
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
Ed,
I have a good friend that once told me "Bad shows, I'm all about them". His point was that you can't learn as much from a good show as a bad one.

Sounds like you experience was a big set of lessons. You mentioned you had a couple big crowds. You must have done something right to get them and if step one is getting your butt out there and step two is getting them to stop and watch then you don't have far to go to get to the payoff.

Most important, more so than anything else. Were you having fun?

If you are having fun there is no other measure for success.

As for the "magician"....no true magician would step on anothers toes so treat him as any good busker treats a heckler...Sonny Holiday is a great busker...he carries a hammer.
sir real
View Profile
New user
I've been tied to
85 Posts

Profile of sir real
Last May the first few weeks were sort of "light"for me and I was coming up on a due date for a hefty bill.I wasn't worried as we were heading into "the biggest weekend",then hopes were dashed after friday was just a bunch of rude,ignorant atitude and a whopping 38 bucks, and it was my sole income at the time.The next day I got up and filled my tank and started heading 500 miles home with my tail between my legs.Within 20 miles I pulled over for coffee and decided I would go back and JUST HAVE FUN.Force myself to let all roll off my back,if they gave me money Id be better off,if not,Id still have fun,and if the ******s peed me off,Id leave.2 days later I had the biggest day Ive ever had busking.The bill got paid and so did I in more ways than one.Fat hats to ya Ed.
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Ed:
Stop kicking yourself and keep following your dreams. Obviously you are getting crowds. Work on your hat lines. Don't go into anything with a poor attitude (everyones' better than me, I must be doing something wrong, etc.) You got to fall down a few times before you can walk. You are the best that you strive to be. No one can take that from you. Don't be intimidated by another "magician". If it makes you happy, keep doing!!!!!
JK
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I thought of this today. I am going to buy a cheap used accordian.Sit in a chair with a sign "Put money in the hat if YOU DON'T WANT ME TO PLAY."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Get right back on that turtle Ed!

Take a deep breath and shake those bad feeling off.
Reevaluate what you do and try again.

If not...then magic is still a wonderful hobby and does make people happy.
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Hi Ed,

don't quit!! We all have crappy nights and sometimes, through no fault of yours ( or mine) people are cheap, you may have noticed that gas prices are skyrocketing and I have to admit that my hats seem slightly down this year... am I getting worse or are people tipping less? Who knows/ Who cares?

I also had a bad night this weekend. Figured the weather was going to be great so there'd be lots of people out so I got out and hit the pitch early... just wanted to be there first... first come, first served right? So I start back to backing my shows... working on a new show right now and loving the "live action practice". After about an hour the human staue with attitude turns up ( I absolutelly hate crate slugs, and they hate me... that's fine by me!), she walks up to me and explains that she's been working this pitch for six years and that she should therefor have priority (!!!). So what do I do? I roll over, capitulate and give the pigeon dodger "her" pitch. Then I realise that the far end of the pitch isn't working as well so I set up about twenty yards from the silver surfer ( hey it's a tiny square) and get back to work... she storms over ( thought they couldn't move!) and threatens me with the cops (tells me there's a law and you can only work any pitch for one hour... a lie, and I've never seen her leave a pitch anyhow!!!), I tell her to go forth and multiply. Then I'm about to build a crowd and a wino starts hassling the statue in a quite intimidating way... so being a gentleman ( an idiot) I intervene and the bum tries to beat the excrement out of me. Eventually I get back to work and build a crowd... except I can hardly hear myself speak cos the ***ed statue has taken exception to me working and is drumming very loudly and for an extended time ( she drums everytime someone gives her money... and people pay for this, go figure).. frankly she's trying to disrupt my show. Of course I respond by cracking jokes about pigeons and how noone pays me for doing nothing ( and my crowd respond by heckling her... lovely). Finally a street trader finishes off my great night by telling me that I can no longer work that pitch as my crowd treads all over his pictures and, since he pays to trade on the street, he has the right to tell me not to work there ( amazingly he's a friend of my stationary nemesis). I pack up and go home with Jimmy Talksalot's advice ringing in my ears... noone minds until you start making money ( and I did, a sh#t load more than any half *** painted lady!)

My point... you can have bad nights with good hats, and bad nights with bad hats... but learn from the experience, tighten up your show and next time go out and entertain them so that they feel obliged to tip ( actually if they watch my show then I don't consider it tipping, it's payment for services rendered... and they should, subtly, be aware of that). I know next time I'll go out and work, wherever, and whenever I feel... in fact next week I'll be busking in Britain, can't wait!

Keep at it Ed...oh, and as for the other "magician", if he had even the slightest trace of style he wouldn't have upstaged you. That's not cool!

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24266 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you really want to have some fun with a crate slug, stand facing it and mirror their actions. You don't have to stand close. Just face them, and mirror them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I like turtles!

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Ed,

Only one question. Do you enjoy going out and sharing your show? If the answer to this question is anything other than no, then go do your show whenever you can.

Tony
...the magic that creates Memories!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thanks guys. That helped. I intended to go back out this weekend. I'm hoping for better. I'll try to have a good attitude.

Thanks for the support... even you Danny.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Hey Danny.

are you "Turtle-ey enough for the turtle club" ?

Joe H
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
When I started for at least 6 mounths I was a disaster, I could have given up in every show. I was a mess, I don't know how I became so stuburn but I kept at it. One advantage I had was in the city I worked their was no other acts just me.

Even the other week I had a flat weekend by the end of it I thought I lost my touch, perhaps I have but I an determand.
Mario
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hi there a little while a go I wrote a post called ‘I feel of my bike’ were I explained that I lost my never and was pushed out by the big guys. The post and support I got back were great and I got back out there. So good to hear your dusting of and getting back out there just think you make a buck or two and things are on the up. I don’t know what act you do but have you any thing you can repeat as people go past or something quite mobile so you move about and squeezing.

One thing I kinda of do is if there big shows with loud speaker and stuff. Let one start when the edge is big go a little near and Diablo or juggle or just play about. And the kids and people that cant see the big show watch and fingers crossed tip you. Also as he finish I try and catch a few people as flow of people come past. Then by then the guy down the other end has is edge while on the show so I wonder down there. All the time I do this iam a wear that if people are watching his show that good for them and him. So in don’t nick his crowd but if people want to be entertained and cant see his show I like to thin k a bit of time with me is also worth a bob or two.

But what stands out about you is you can pull a crowd keep going.

( don’t become a silver crate hugger )
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The turtle want to say something. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL