The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The turtle want to say something. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1080 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Buddy, that´s why we turtles have hard shells!!

Man, you did it! You flopped! OK!!,..What DIDN`T work?, and WHY? Man, use this experience!; Learn from it!. You´re sitting on GOLD!! REFINE!!! That you had the BALLS to go out and go for; really speaks for you. Don´t stop now. Suck it up and go for it again!!! Concentrate on SMALL improvements, small steps. Small steps bring you far,.. but don´t compromise your balence as much. Suck it up, and go for it again,... and again,... and again.

solidaricshe,
gallagher
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 00:03, ed rhodes wrote:

Thanks for the support... even you Danny.

Turtles NEVER quit! and quitters NEVER turtle! Smile

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 07:04, Joe Howard wrote:
Hey Danny.

are you "Turtle-ey enough for the turtle club" ?

Joe H

I'm a shell back from way back! Smile

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I was the worst street performer in the world for A LONG TIME! It isn't about being bad...we were ALL bad. Anybody that says any different has blocked the painful memories from their brain. It isn't about being bad YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO BE BAD!!! it is about getting better.

NOBODY can walk on to a major league ball field and knock one out of the park without having many YEARS of striking out under their belt first! You can't hit homers if you've never struck out.

I have a lot more respect for those who have the steely nerves to actually go out and be bad (like WE ALL DID) than those who pontificate about it without ever daring to actually get off the couch and do it. The law of averages and history of the art all say that the more you do it the less bad you become. These days even I, the worst street performer in the world, approaches average on a good day! Smile

Take the lumps, that's what the shell is for!

TURTLES!

Best,

Dan-

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Where do you pitch up lately Danny?
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I ain't sayin. Fanny Hall got ruined last time I opened my mouth.

johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 19:57, tom hughes wrote:
Hi Ed,

don't quit!! We all have crappy nights and sometimes, through no fault of yours ( or mine) people are cheap, you may have noticed that gas prices are skyrocketing and I have to admit that my hats seem slightly down this year... am I getting worse or are people tipping less? Who knows/ Who cares?

I also had a bad night this weekend. Figured the weather was going to be great so there'd be lots of people out so I got out and hit the pitch early... just wanted to be there first... first come, first served right? So I start back to backing my shows... working on a new show right now and loving the "live action practice". After about an hour the human staue with attitude turns up ( I absolutelly hate crate slugs, and they hate me... that's fine by me!), she walks up to me and explains that she's been working this pitch for six years and that she should therefor have priority (!!!). So what do I do? I roll over, capitulate and give the pigeon dodger "her" pitch. Then I realise that the far end of the pitch isn't working as well so I set up about twenty yards from the silver surfer ( hey it's a tiny square) and get back to work... she storms over ( thought they couldn't move!) and threatens me with the cops (tells me there's a law and you can only work any pitch for one hour... a lie, and I've never seen her leave a pitch anyhow!!!), I tell her to go forth and multiply. Then I'm about to build a crowd and a wino starts hassling the statue in a quite intimidating way... so being a gentleman ( an idiot) I intervene and the bum tries to beat the excrement out of me. Eventually I get back to work and build a crowd... except I can hardly hear myself speak cos the ***ed statue has taken exception to me working and is drumming very loudly and for an extended time ( she drums everytime someone gives her money... and people pay for this, go figure).. frankly she's trying to disrupt my show. Of course I respond by cracking jokes about pigeons and how noone pays me for doing nothing ( and my crowd respond by heckling her... lovely). Finally a street trader finishes off my great night by telling me that I can no longer work that pitch as my crowd treads all over his pictures and, since he pays to trade on the street, he has the right to tell me not to work there ( amazingly he's a friend of my stationary nemesis). I pack up and go home with Jimmy Talksalot's advice ringing in my ears... noone minds until you start making money ( and I did, a sh#t load more than any half ass painted lady!)

My point... you can have bad nights with good hats, and bad nights with bad hats... but learn from the experience, tighten up your show and next time go out and entertain them so that they feel obliged to tip ( actually if they watch my show then I don't consider it tipping, it's payment for services rendered... and they should, subtly, be aware of that). I know next time I'll go out and work, wherever, and whenever I feel... in fact next week I'll be busking in Britain, can't wait!

Keep at it Ed...oh, and as for the other "magician", if he had even the slightest trace of style he wouldn't have upstaged you. That's not cool!

tom

Hey Tom, you're still having problems with that silver lady, hahahahaha! I thought that you had 2 hrs on a pitch? Tell Russel the love muscle I said HI!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Got ruined in what way? When did you work Fan Hall?
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 08:42, Chance wrote:
When did you work Fan Hall?

I never said I did.

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
So... got ruined in what way? what are you afraid of happening at your current pitch?
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
If you are getting beat up every time out maybe you need to try another venue. I don't mean to be cold, but some guys just don't have it on the streets. I know of some magicians who were just painful to watch. They just NEVER improved. Try another venue or field. Watch those singers on TV. More time and experience WON'T improve some of their voices. Why does everyone encourage marginal acts while supposedly desiring to improve the art??? If your magic isn't enough to make them throw down some money something is wrong. I've had people throw in money after 1 trick. If you can do a whole show and not make a dime. . .well???? Everyone has days where they don't do very well. That comes with the territory but making nothing??? How about vacating the spot for another act???
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I never said I was being beaten up every time out. This was the first time I made _nothing_ whatsoever. That's why it was such a shock. Usually I make about $30-$40. Chicken feed to the people here who depend on this money to survive, but perfectly fine for me who was only out for a few hours at a time. (This night I actually stayed out from 2:30pm to 9:30pm (not counting travel time TO Roger Williams Park and later travel time to Thayer Street.)

Incidently, there aren't all that many acts in Providence. Nobody's hanging around my spot saying; "C'mon, let me work here. You had your turn!" Most of them hang around the Waterfire, which I haven't had the nerve to do yet.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Chance he may be worried about to many people asking to many questions. Any how I saw you at fan hall a few times. You should have a read on the situation.

ATG
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I have, and I do.

The problem isn't that a pitch is too well known and has a lot of acts; I've been to pitches where 15 acts wait their turn every day without any hassels at all.

It's been proven time and time again, that when we all work together we make each other stronger, we all have fun at what we do, and we leave the audience with the best feelings possible. Good feelings = good hats!!!

Unfortunately not everyone sees it this way, and there are always a few wild cards that throw their weight around and try to intimidate, and try to boss the whole pitch so that they always get the best time slots, or some other type of special favor.

I've heard every excuse by now -- and they all make me sick -- but the bottom line is that they want to blow out the pitch so that no one makes more money than they do. THIS is the problem at Sam Adams Square, NOT that there are X number of acts wanting to play there.

Danny did nothing to make this happen; there have been shows working that pitch, and that pitch was world famous, since before Danny started busking.

What caused that particular pitch to go bad was, like I said already, a few bad apples that demand to make more money on that spot than anyone else. And since they come in groups they feel like they can act all tough and scare everyone away.

But all it would take is 3 or 4 acts sticking together, not running away at the first sign of physical confrontation, and within a week that pitch would be back to it's old ways! Why? Because even so-called tough guys will change their attitude when they realize their hats are down by 90%, that's why!

But what's really a shame is that it came down to this in the first place. If the locals had stuck to their guns and had enforced pitch rules from the start of any signs of trouble, then we wouldn't be talking about a spoiled pitch today.

Regardless, Danny didn't cause this by bragging about his hats from there.

Personally I'm all in favor of taking that pitch back. Anyone else got the heart?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 01:03, cenafreak0709 wrote:
Ed, just get out there and do it. It might take you longer to learn about all of the sublties (spelling) and how to perform- no offense, I haven't seen you perform, Ok Ill shutup now Smile

No offense taken, you phrased it well and I've always considered myself the Soliari of magic! I'm adequate, I'm better than some, but I'm never going to blow people away the way some of you do.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Look what wandered up in my yard today!

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Did he pass the hat?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It's amazing how many busking bullies are out there. I think that's what Danny is talking about. The construction around Harvard Square has made things worse in that area, I don't think anyone is making much money in Cambridge these days.

I was doing some ring things outside of the theater where the local IBM ring was doing a show. Maybe it's what I look like, but I was surprised to see people actually cross the street to avoid getting near me. I was just trying to pull some folks into the show and to entertain some folks who were waiting for the show to start.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I could have sworn I posted on this thread. Nice turtle Jim. Maybe the turtle was so slow, the hat passed him.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 00:10, marty.sasaki wrote:
It's amazing how many busking bullies are out there. I think that's what Danny is talking about. The construction around Harvard Square has made things worse in that area, I don't think anyone is making much money in Cambridge these days.

I was doing some ring things outside of the theater where the local IBM ring was doing a show. Maybe it's what I look like, but I was surprised to see people actually cross the street to avoid getting near me. I was just trying to pull some folks into the show and to entertain some folks who were waiting for the show to start.

Well wtf do you look like eh???

Did you shave?
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The turtle want to say something. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL