The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practice mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mud
View Profile
New user
Western NY
66 Posts

Profile of mud
Can anyone suggest a good, preferably cheap, practice mirror? I'm learning coin magic and it's really hard to always practice in the bathroom (plus, there's bad places for the coins to fall).

I was hoping for something that can be put on a table, maybe one with bends so I can get 3 different angles or something.

I'm not sure where to look for something like this..no real life stores around me have anything promising. Any ideas?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Just sent you a PM
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Yeah I've been looking for a good one as well. Not too expensive but one that will help me get my handling and angles down.
This is my sig until I can get photobucket to work right Smile
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
There's a lot you can do with some 12" mirror tiles and duct tape.

(Probably the same info Mickey PM'd you.)

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
wackyvorlon
View Profile
New user
Sarnia, ON, Canada
72 Posts

Profile of wackyvorlon
That's a good idea, Stanyon. I know I've been looking at a practice mirror. I had been thinking of one of those mirrors used for putting on makeup. But, mirror tiles can work far better.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Great minds Steve, great minds!

Mick
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I made mine over 15 years ago and it's still going strong!

3 mirrored tiles with some duct tape to "hinge" them together and you're good to go.

Mark.
mud
View Profile
New user
Western NY
66 Posts

Profile of mud
Yeah, I just got back from the store and implemented Mickey's, and others' recommendation. Works great so far, this is perfect (the tiles I got are like 14" I believe, seems like a good size). Mickey also recommended something called Gorilla Tape, which I've never used before but seems to work well (I think I ripped off some skin, that stuff is hardcore Smile ).
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Glad it worked out for ya Mud! Yeah that G Tape is some tuff stuff aye!
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
So where can I find those tiles? Like Home Depot?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 16:00, Will DThrill wrote:
So where can I find those tiles? Like Home Depot?

Home Depot is one place for sure.
Lowes and possibly Target or Walmart as well.
Will DThrill
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Will DThrill
Awesome. Thanks a lot.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
When making a practice mirror, make sure to tape the edges of the mirrored tile for protection. I also taped the backs in case they broke to prevent glass from getting everywhere.

Then, when taping the mirrored tiles together, leave a small gap between them, maybe a 1/4 inch, so you can fold them over on each other to make it flat for storage.

This works great. Plus it's cheap! If it breaks, just make another one.

Mark.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Cool tip on taping the back Mark! I made one with mirrors that have a bevel around the edge that I think helps them to fold flat as well. I just put a piece of felt between the tiles when folded flat but I'm gonna add the tape for safety and extra protection!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Smile

Mark.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I just use the missus full lenght mirror but you can see all the moves under the pack but don't think layman ould see that as they would be looking down at the cards not along
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Sorry friends, contrary to what is said here please don't be upset at me. My Theatrical teacher was against (mirrors)as a rehersal. People are not reflections. Some minds become dependent on such. Honestly speaking, I never have used one. I've been in this field now for better than 30yrs. But then again, to each his own. Regards Don.
mud
View Profile
New user
Western NY
66 Posts

Profile of mud
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 02:27, donrodrigo wrote:
Sorry friends, contrary to what is said here please don't be upset at me. My Theatrical teacher was against (mirrors)as a rehersal. People are not reflections. Some minds become dependent on such. Honestly speaking, I never have used one. I've been in this field now for better than 30yrs. But then again, to each his own. Regards Don.

I'm mostly using it for basic sleights that are pretty visual in nature, like retention vanish and shuttle pass. I need to make sure it looks good from audience perspective and that I'm not flashing the coins all over (in the case of shuttle pass, I generally am Smile ).

When I get the sleights down pat, maybe it won't be so important.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Elmwood magic sells a nice practice mirror.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Take a look at their $45 close up mirror and then head on over to Home Depot.

You can make the same thing for under $10 and still have money left over to buy even more magic!

Mark. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practice mirror (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL