The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practice mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jaylynch68
View Profile
New user
Orlando, Florida
56 Posts

Profile of jaylynch68
How many tiles do you guys use? I saw "3 tiles" above. I take it they are arranged horizontally? Anyone use more?

Great idea; Thanks

Jay Lynch
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3207 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Avoid the flimsy thin glass full length mirrors you'd buy to hang on a wall if possible, the distortion can be quite distracting if they're not hanging singly, and secured to the wall...

Go with thicker glass.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi Mud,
Sorry but to me an audience is not a looking glass, and in my opinion it's bad habbit. I've carried this idea from my theatrical magical teacher.
Example:
Quote:Drama like conjuring, is an art of illusion. What relly happens is that an actor repeats a carefully rehearsed routine before a obviously artificial setting. The audience, however, will misinterpret this as a series of exiting events. But were is the magic and the magician.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3207 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-11-13 03:36, donrodrigo wrote:
Hi Mud,
Sorry but to me an audience is not a looking glass, and in my opinion it's bad habbit. I've carried this idea from my theatrical magical teacher.
Example:
Quote:Drama like conjuring, is an art of illusion. What relly happens is that an actor repeats a carefully rehearsed routine before a obviously artificial setting. The audience, however, will misinterpret this as a series of exiting events. But were is the magic and the magician.

He's talking about advice for practice time, not for an audience. You can have the best acting skills in the best theatrical setting, but if your technique sucks, your audience isn't going to be impressed because they'll see the coin in your other hand and the "magic" becomes merely a trick -and one done badly at that...

Also, when you hear the audience whispering "It's in his other hand!" it throws off your blocking and all the lighting cues, too! Smile

A practice mirror is "A Good Thing".

All the best to you!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
You're already got some good suggestions here. I'll just add this.

A video camera is also a great tool. Not only can you watch it in real time but you can also review it. You won't believe how often I've done then and intentionally came up with something cool that I wouldn't have noticed if I couldn't have actually watched it in the play back. A camera will also allow you to watch and review yourself at different angles.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
amprice99
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of amprice99
I believe there is a three way mirror sold at Elmwood Magic for around $45. I like the three way mirrors a lot.
trevelyan
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of trevelyan
A webcam is good for practice as you can either watch your self on your PC as you perform or record it and play back to see what you can improve on. If you aren't in the market for that, head down to Wal-Mart or Target and you can pick up a mirror pretty cheap there.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Sorry guys,if it works go for it. Perhaps I miss-understood. Close up may be different than the theatrical presentation to wich I use . I apologize if it went the wrong way.Respectfully Don.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I second a cheap webcam... technology has dropped in price to where you could setup a recording lab for dirt cheap.

Watch yourself as others see you - mirrors do not allow that.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
trevelyan
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of trevelyan
For theatrical I would stick to a Webcam or Camcorder then. Thought it was more close up you were looking for.
Huffheinz
View Profile
New user
Kansas City, MO
1 Post

Profile of Huffheinz
I'll have to try the mirror tiles...sounds like a great idea!

Don't forget that most digital cameras nowadays have the ability to capture movies...and some of them do it quite well. A cheap $20 tripod would be a good investment so you can check out the different angles.
- Huffheinz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practice mirror (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL