The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Lightning - from Magicsmith (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Check out the new offering called Lightning from MagicSmith. Looks like a perfect tie-in with their Big Bang effect. It appears you can make any light bulb flicker and you don't even have to be touching it.

Retail is listed as $60 and it starts shipping on June 21. Looks like another winner from Chris Smith!

Lightning

** Bill **
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Wow, this looks very en-lightning. Actually it looks very good, but so do most demo videos, I'll have to wait on some reviews, but I hope they are favorable.
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
I am very interested in this. Hopefully the effect can be seen at a distance.

One thing that I noticed throughout the demo was the fact that the performances were done at night. I realize that you would want to enhance the effect rather than take away from it. It makes sense to put out the most impressive demo possible. A dark background would aid in this.

My question is, will the lit bulb play well in a lighted palour or stage application? Is the effect bright enough? Or is closeup the best working environment?
MagicSmith
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of MagicSmith
Hi Echomagic,
Thanks for your interest. Yes, Lightning is effective for a lit parlour environment (like the Magic Castle's). In the demo, though filmed at night, there were some pretty big video lights on Christian and the lightbulb, yet it still showed up well.

The first units are shipping 6-18, so perhaps someone will post a review up here at the Café shortly.

Cheers,
Chris
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
MagicSmith,

Thanks for your response.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Very cool!
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
M.Allen
View Profile
New user
Portland, Oregon
60 Posts

Profile of M.Allen
Lightning Curious,

No need to wait for a third party review of MagicSmith's Lightning, here are the inside details of this tiny gem.

If you're wondering why I already have the skinny on this, the reason is . . . MagicSmith hired me to injection mold the first batch of enclosures for this professionally produced microprocessor.

First, the enclosure for the unit contours around the batteries and then encloses what little remains of the IC Board. I could give you the exact dimensions of the tiny thing but all I will say is that you could put it in a TT (not that you would want to do that).

The units power voltage is such that it really makes the thing illuminate. Eventually the batteries will die but the housing design makes them very easy to replace (no tools needed).

The Lightning unit has two built-in programs and handles all of the timing for you. It does that by the built-in prompter (it's crazy). Think about it . . . You know exactly when the visual effect will start and exactly when it will stop. Perfect timing . . . Every time! All you need to do is good acting.

Another fine detail is how the unit is activated. All you really need to know is that it is sure fire and ULTRA EASY!

My last little note: I did the first molding run of the Lightning enclosure with equipment that is mainly intended for prototype work. The molding-run I did for this project was just to rough on my expensive equipment to do it again. Chris only has a limited number of housing units before he must go through a timely process of getting more enclosures made. Trust me, when I say . . . Mold tooling often takes four to six months. When I shared this thing with my closest magic bud, he was one of the first on the reserve list. Lightning is the real deal! Do yourself a favor and browse over to the MagicSmith website and check out the Lightning video.

Yours truly,

Mark Allen

If you need this . . . http://www.magicsmith.com
magicmike30
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of magicmike30
This looks really cool, count me in for one;)
Nice very nice indeed.
Entertainer
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Since I have bought BigBang I had to put an order in for Lightning.
Can't waite till they arrive and will post a review in a few weeks on how they work together.

Eric
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I placed a order for this, along with big bang. I don;t do much of this kind of effect except for in october, which is when ill likly use this. in either case it looks like a fun magicians toy lol.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3623 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I just ordered it as well, looksl ike it is not in stock right now, but should be soon.
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
This looks great. I am, however, a bit skeptical of the "don't have to touch the bulb" bit. Perhaps not but I'm not sure how practical that would be in actual performance.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

I still have not received mine but from reading the rest if the ad copy id say that means, once activated you do not have to touch it =D
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Im sure the "gimmick" needs to be touching the bulb. Im hoping the gimmick will be relativly small and camoflaged.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone received it yet?
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Its in the mail, should be any day now
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
I too have confirmation that it is on it's way.
You will probably get yours first Joshua since mine is coming in on a dog sled.
lukasz
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of lukasz
Hay, can you do it with any bulb? And if it's not a secret, can you do it instantly with a bulb from a lamp? I'm just not sure if gimmnic is separate form the bulb. Ok, I hope I didn't make to many mistakes:)
web
View Profile
New user
Roanoke, VA.
25 Posts

Profile of web
I received mine yesterday. Quite well made, and yes, can be used with any bulb. I've had success unscrewing them and using it without setup. Gotta be a bit careful with the angles though.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Received mine today. Does indeed have angle issues but nothing I can't handle.

It is really about the delayed timing in the program that sells the various effects.

The light itself seems to struggle to come on and that is very dramatic.

The gimmick is what I somewhat expected and while we could certainly accomplish the same effects with various other devices... THIS little thing has a nifty programmed delay and creates a nice pulsing fluttering ghostly light. I like that.

The delay gives you distance from the light effect and that is key and quite enjoyable.

I don't perform Big Bang myself... but if you do...you will want this.

Think outside the light bulb for various uses...that is where I am going.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Lightning - from Magicsmith (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL