The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Taking care of nails for human blockhead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Harley, if you have potty in your mouth you're gonna need all the enzymes you can find!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That's potting it mildly. Shall we can this one, before it overflows?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
It's his potty, and he'll cry if he wants to.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Here we go on a royal flush!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Saliva is the watery and usually frothy substance produced in the mouths of humans and most other animals. Saliva is produced in and secreted from the salivary glands. Human saliva is composed of 98% water, the remainder of which includes electrolytes, mucus, **antibacterial compounds**, and various enzymes.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva

Saliva contains Antibacterial compounds including thiocyanate, hydrogen peroxide, and secretory immunoglobulin A.

Yes Saliva contains a lot of bacteria, but not a lot of bacteria that would be considered harmful to a human, the vast majority of this bacteria exists to help break down foods, this is unique in the sense that most mammal digestion does not start until the food reaches the stomach, ours however starts immediately. Little or NONE of the bacteria found in a humans saliva under normal circumstances is harmful to humans.


In ancient Egypt the wounded would have dogs lick their wounds, some people say that this quickened healing because the dog's mouth is cleaner than the humans, and although the dogs mouth does have less bacteria than a humans... this is not likely to be true. Another hypothesis to the speedy healing is a substance found in a dogs saliva called "NGF" or nerve growth factor which has been proven to speed healing when Saliva is used on the wounds of the same species. The bottom line is that a dog has substances in it's Salvia that are infectious to humans and the Egyptians having dogs lick their wounds likely only helped because it removed dirt and foreign substances from the wounds.


Quote:
On 2008-06-17 08:31, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-16 16:18, erikkloeker wrote:
Saliva has anti-bacterial properties and licking the nails removes a lot of dust and dirt on the nails.


Nope, still wrong. Each persons saliva has ENZYMES that are beneficial to each ones own wounds. That's it. Spit will NOT kill bacteria, matter of fact it actually provides what is referred to as a "reservoir" for bacteria to live and multiply. Saliva also contains the HIGHEST concentration of bacteria found anywhere in the human body. Be careful what of you say without knowing what it is that you mean to say.
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of trey
Store your nails with a stick of chalk. In a small zip lock bag. Try to get most of the air out before you zip it up. The chalk will absorb any moisture that gets in.

Trey
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Erik, I have no idea why you desire to keep this going. You're young, so I'll cut you some slack. Regardless of Wikipedia (which is NOT based on textbooks, but relies on whoever contribute information), I have over a decade of experience (15 years to be exact) with the biomechanics of body fluids and superficial wound healing and stand by my "based upon experience" professional opinion that saliva is NOT antibacterial, in fact it would be close to impossible for it to be, if it were we would all be dead. Cut copy and paste is NOT research, I have multiple certification for BBP and CPR, learn by doing not reading. Yes, the bacteria in your own saliva is harmless to you, but if it is introduced into ANOTHER persons system it can wreak havoc. Look up "trenchmouth"... this is why we do not share toothbrushes and used floss. Making out is risky business which is why teenagers are at highest risk for mononucleosis. You have a cut or wound in your mouth? You can get/transmit HIV and Hep B and/or C. I'm not trying to flame you here, but I notcied that each and every time you posting something, you are saying WAY inaccurate info... to the wrong reader, this could be deadly.

I'm waiting for Jeremy Sweiss to comment as he has a doctorate... BTW, what certifiactions do YOU have Erik? Diploma? GED?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Keep nails shuved into hard sponge for transportation and absorbtion. When I remember which is not often, dip them into dissinfectant before use,,,lick and shove it in.

When doing this for a living the niceties of the job are forgotten.

Ken (Qualified B.U.M.) British Underground Magician !!!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
BUM? You shouldn't store your nails THERE!! It would interfere with the potty.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
It's his potty and he'll. . .

. . .oh my life is soooo empty.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Nippulini,

I'm not seeing where you are going with this... I'm glad you have a decade of experience piercing... I'm not coming from that background. I am coming from the background of common sense and a working performer who performs the stunt in question over a 1000 times a year. That being said I do believe I am qualified, regardless my age, to comment, give suggestions, or even teach (which I don't) the stunt in question. Furthermore what I am saying is not as you put it "WAY inaccurate info" I have infact said absolutely nothing inaccurate. I don't understand how you can sit there and say that Saliva "in your professional opinion" has is not antibacterial, when I just stated that Saliva DOES have antibacterial agents in it and gave you those specific antibacterial agents.

Please remember I mean no harsh regards, and to all who are reading I could careless if you take advice from me or not, that is your personal desicion. I will not however sit here and be called wrong by someone who does not even perform the stunt professionally.


Quote:
On 2008-06-17 14:58, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Erik, I have no idea why you desire to keep this going. You're young, so I'll cut you some slack. Regardless of Wikipedia (which is NOT based on textbooks, but relies on whoever contribute information), I have over a decade of experience (15 years to be exact) with the biomechanics of body fluids and superficial wound healing and stand by my "based upon experience" professional opinion that saliva is NOT antibacterial, in fact it would be close to impossible for it to be, if it were we would all be dead. Cut copy and paste is NOT research, I have multiple certification for BBP and CPR, learn by doing not reading. Yes, the bacteria in your own saliva is harmless to you, but if it is introduced into ANOTHER persons system it can wreak havoc. Look up "trenchmouth"... this is why we do not share toothbrushes and used floss. Making out is risky business which is why teenagers are at highest risk for mononucleosis. You have a cut or wound in your mouth? You can get/transmit HIV and Hep B and/or C. I'm not trying to flame you here, but I notcied that each and every time you posting something, you are saying WAY inaccurate info... to the wrong reader, this could be deadly.

I'm waiting for Jeremy Sweiss to comment as he has a doctorate... BTW, what certifiactions do YOU have Erik? Diploma? GED?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Deja vu.

Didn't an argument about spit come up a few years back?




Brett.


Oh and let me add to the praise of Nips Nails. "They're great!"
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
_________________________________________
E-mail:
BrettELoudermilk@gmail.com
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Perhaps this is just a tomato/tomahto kind of thing--

From World Anatomy and Physiology:
"Because saliva contains an antibacterial lysozyme that lyses bacteria (ruptures bacterial cells), adequate amounts of saliva in the mouth also reduce the amount of bacteria in the oral cavity."

From Pathophysiology of the Digestive System:
"Saliva also contains lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses many bacteria and prevents overgrowth of oral microbial populations."

Sounds like saliva contains an enzyme (like Nipps said) that destroys bacteria, and is therefore antibacterial (like Erik said).

So you're both right! Isn't that great? So, hug it out, guys.

Of course, none of this means that it necessarily has any effect on bacteria outside of the oral cavity. . .
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Stephon,

Good enough for me! Smile
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2008-06-17 17:15, erikkloeker wrote:
I have infact said absolutely nothing inaccurate.


Did you or did you not say that you can use saliva to sterilize?

Quote:
I will not however sit here and be called wrong by someone who does not even perform the stunt professionally.


Now THAT was uncalled for.... you obviously do not know me. And I stand by my words as Stephon echoes it in his final comment.... the antibacterial qualities of the ENZYMES means nothing outside the oral cavity.

Oh and by the way Erik, I never said ANYTHING about your experience as someone who can put a nail in his head, something I'm sure only you can do... right? Otherwise you are a piece of paper flittering down the highway.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Maybe it's time to let spitting dogs lyse?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Or lieing dogs spit !!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Your puns are so drool.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Yes I did say sterilize, was it the word I was looking for? No. Was it incorrect? No.

"ster·il·ize (str-lz)
tr.v. ster·il·ized, ster·il·iz·ing, ster·il·iz·es
1. To make free from live bacteria or other microorganisms."

"Anti-Bacterial" kills bacteria... therefore sterilizing. Nuff said.

As a final statement on this subject, let me say something that you can relate to, In my line of work as a sideshow performer would I use spit to sterilize and lubricate a nail that is about to go into my nasal cavity, where it will not be puncturing the skin or entering the bloodstream? Absolutely. Would I use spit to sterilize a needle or piercing instrument I am about to pierce a customer with? HELLLL NO! Nippullini I believe we are coming from two different worlds on this subject, we are however not far from common ground.

I (and I'm sure the others on the magic Café) would very much like to let this go, it is frivolous, pointless, and is not unnecessary on a forum where people enjoy learning things and making new friends or keeping in touch with old ones.

Sincerely,

Erik Kloeker
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
You're right... I am completely wrong. Everyone here should store their nails in a jar of spit.

I will throw away my autoclaves, ultrasonic machines and gluteraldehyde tool baths and replace them all with antibacterial soap.

Look out.... a strong gust of wind is coming

Whoooosh!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Taking care of nails for human blockhead (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL