The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Taking care of nails for human blockhead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
Those of you that do this regularly, a few questions;

**How do you take care of/store your nails between use?
I ask since I have found if I don't use the nails for a month or so, they get tarnished and kind of rusty.

**Do you just use nails from your hardware store?
I just pick up a few at the store, but I know some use specially made ones that look identical to hardware store nails, but they are in fact surgical stainless steel - do you use these?

**Do you disinfect your nails?
I never have, but I know I should.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Experimentalist
When I did this in 7th grade, I just sold the used nails to other kids for $5.00 each.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
That's just plain horrible... in every sense of your post. Doing blockhead in school to show off how "cool" you are... you earn ZERO respect from me at this point.

Auktionman, PM me about purchasing hand forged custom surgical stainless steel nails from me. I'm sure this thread will explode with a lot of truly experienced professional sideshow performers to help.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Gemeanii
View Profile
Regular user
Feeling so much younger now....
158 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
I just pound mine into a pine block between shows...
It's softer than my head and the natural disinfectants in the wood solve the rest of my ills.

Nips nails, however, don't even need that treatment... always in my pocket ready for a sudden unexpected performance.
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
[email]steve@gemeny.com[/email]
www.gemeanii.com
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Talk to The Great Nippulini his nails are the best, you won't have to worry about rusting or anything like that. They are true works of art and I would never use anything else.

Also I don't really understand the point of bragging that you would shove nails in your nose in 7th grade, a lot of people in this area of The Café will end up finding that pretty demeaning to what we do. Don't think that was your intention but figured I'd give you a word of warning.

I'm assuming from your screen name that you are a mentalist, so I'll forgive you for that too Smile jk
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11971 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
When I've done it, I used isopropyl alcohol prior to the insertion. I do not know for sure but I do not think a little rust will cause any damage (as long as its clean rust:)
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Before a show, I wash mine off (if they look dirty) with soap and a sponge, then dry them carefully. Repeat until nothing is coming off on the drying towel.

I used to be a stickler about wiping them down with an alcohol swab, as well as flushing my nose with saline solution before and after, but I've slacked off that. So far, it hasn't caused a problem. So far.

You could put a very light coat of cooking oil or perhaps petroleum jelly on the nail before storing it; that should delay the formation of rust.

Harley and Todd will probably have the most definitive information on this.

I have heard nothing but rave reviews of Nip's nails. The only reason I don't use then is that I give my nail to my volunteer after the routine.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Thegreatnippulini,

I'm 42 years old. That happened when I was 15. Nobody was hurt, so I can laugh about it now.
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

And incidentally, I had to stay after school for a week. So I've already been punished thank you very much.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
In 7th grade they punished you for it ... now they PAY you!
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Thank you Starrpower.

Seriosuly gents. It was meant to be a tale of youthful folly 27 years ago. Not "bragging" (sheese).

I also joke about getting arrested at that age. That's not bragging either.

(To think that people say mentalists take themselves too seriosuly.)

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Heh... trying disinfecting every nail before and after every show doing a grind show with 15 shows a night. Not saying it's a bad idea, but unless your nicking up your nasal cavity or using completely rusty nails I don't see getting an infection being very likely. Nothing wrong with being safe but a disinfected nail is not my top priority.

PS Licking the nail to lubricate it gives some sterilization.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Good point, Erik - I don't wash the nails before each performance, if I'm doing multiple shows, just before the first one.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Sorry Experiman.... I checked your profile before I posted so as not to make this mistake, but your profile shows nothing about you so I assumed the worst. I just HAVE to hear how you got arrested in the 7th grade. Still trying to figure out how you were 15 in the 7th grade tho...

Candini... "cleean rust"? My blacksmithing buddies are gonna LOVE that one!

Erik, licking the nail does NOT give it ANY bit of sterility, you need an autoclave for sterilization and running a regular nail through one of those would rust it out instantly. Your own saliva IS helpful in healing wounds though. Licking a nail is good lube though.

One of Auktionmans questions got ignored.... STORAGE, one of the most important things regarding metal items. Eliminate moisture by getting a waterproof container, similar to a travel toothbrush container and keeping only your nails in it. Even my patented stainless nails will rust if stored improperly. Stainless can't rust "on its own", but store it next to some rusty tools and it will spread, causing a permanent rusty spotting here and there on the nail surface.

One more thing (yeah I know)... if you happen to use a blowtorch in your act, I highly recommend that when you are done your show, you heat the nail just so it evaporates any liquid. Let it cool slightly, then generously rub petroleum jelly or beeswax into the metal. This does two things: 1. it kind of lubricates the surface, nice. 2. the wax/jelly will form a thin protective layer that will keep your mild steel nail from rusting, even in adverse conditions. Alcohol strips the oils on the surface of the nail, exposing the raw steel thus making it EASIER to rust so avoid doing this. You don't need to worry about sterility unless you break skin.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

OK whatever age you are in 7th grade. That's when it happened. I think I had the bizarre idea that the blockhead bit would impress the chicks (it didn't).

And I was busted for breaking into one of those claw machines with the stuffed animals. I have absolutely no memory of why I would have done such a thing however. Just a misfit I guess.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Heh heh... I run the office at work and keep track of the time clock. One day while at a local watering hole I "accidentally" found that the time clock key fit into the skill crane's front window lock. Needless to say I soon found myself gifting cute stuffed animals to my loved one almost on a daily basis.

We're all misfits.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There are a lot of misfits here on the Café. But the only places we admit it, are here, and in the bizarrist threads. Honesty in everyday life!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Maybe "Sterilizing" was not quite the word I was looking for, what I was trying to point out is that Saliva has anti-bacterial properties and licking the nails removes a lot of dust and dirt on the nails.
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 09:23, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Sorry Experiman.... I checked your profile before I posted so as not to make this mistake, but your profile shows nothing about you so I assumed the worst. I just HAVE to hear how you got arrested in the 7th grade. Still trying to figure out how you were 15 in the 7th grade tho...

Candini... "cleean rust"? My blacksmithing buddies are gonna LOVE that one!

Erik, licking the nail does NOT give it ANY bit of sterility, you need an autoclave for sterilization and running a regular nail through one of those would rust it out instantly. Your own saliva IS helpful in healing wounds though. Licking a nail is good lube though.

One of Auktionmans questions got ignored.... STORAGE, one of the most important things regarding metal items. Eliminate moisture by getting a waterproof container, similar to a travel toothbrush container and keeping only your nails in it. Even my patented stainless nails will rust if stored improperly. Stainless can't rust "on its own", but store it next to some rusty tools and it will spread, causing a permanent rusty spotting here and there on the nail surface.

One more thing (yeah I know)... if you happen to use a blowtorch in your act, I highly recommend that when you are done your show, you heat the nail just so it evaporates any liquid. Let it cool slightly, then generously rub petroleum jelly or beeswax into the metal. This does two things: 1. it kind of lubricates the surface, nice. 2. the wax/jelly will form a thin protective layer that will keep your mild steel nail from rusting, even in adverse conditions. Alcohol strips the oils on the surface of the nail, exposing the raw steel thus making it EASIER to rust so avoid doing this. You don't need to worry about sterility unless you break skin.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
2589 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-06-16 16:18, erikkloeker wrote:
Saliva has anti-bacterial properties and licking the nails removes a lot of dust and dirt on the nails.

Nope, still wrong. Each persons saliva has ENZYMES that are beneficial to each ones own wounds. That's it. Spit will NOT kill bacteria, matter of fact it actually provides what is referred to as a "reservoir" for bacteria to live and multiply. Saliva also contains the HIGHEST concentration of bacteria found anywhere in the human body. Be careful what of you say without knowing what it is that you mean to say.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
We all have potty mouth. And enzymes.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Taking care of nails for human blockhead (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL