The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PK magnet advice for watch and coin effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ignoramus
View Profile
New user
UK
27 Posts

Profile of ignoramus
Hi

I am planning on buying this pair of cylindrical PK magnets (2cm diameter, 1cm thick) for £6:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAGIC-TRICK-PK-MAG......gPayment

Having no experience with these magnets, I have no idea how big I should go. These apparently have 4,600 Gauss on each face... no idea what sort of real world force that would exert on a coin.

I apologise for the magicy nature of the post. However, I do plan to use these magnets for watch effects. Would these be up to the task?

For the coin magic, I would need these to hold a coin on the underside of a table (perhaps 2-3 cm thick) while the magnet rests on top.

Please advise me on the magnets needed and the best place to buy them.

Thank you
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
They do look rather small for what you wish to achieve.

I have pro pk magnet and it is a lot bigger than the ones shown on the ebay link.

I actually bought another one for a friend offa ebay and it cost me about $20.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Are you nuts?

What are you going to do if you ruin someone's watch?

This has been discussed many times on this forum.

Not so hypothetical example. You are performing at a restaurant or a party. You do the watch stopping effect on someone's Rolex. You go home. Next day, the proprietor of the restaurant gets a call from the customer claiming that his Rolex doesn't keep time correctly. His jeweler tells him he will have to send it to Rolex to have it checked out. Or the person who gave the party gets the same call.

Even if what he is saying is a lie, you are either going to be out of a job, or your reputation will get a really big hit.

I know that if someone messed up my watch, I would administer laxative percussion unto him.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ignoramus
View Profile
New user
UK
27 Posts

Profile of ignoramus
Wow! Didn't think about that at all. Thanks for the heads up!

OK then - I will stick to the coin magic. The magnet needs to hold a coin on the underside of a table (perhaps 2-3 cm thick) while the magnet rests on top. Does that sound plausible with one of these magnets?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You will need to experiment. These magnets are relatively cheap, so if you get a package of them, you should be able to do some experimenting.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MrX
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of MrX
I had a good experience buying from these guys:

http://www.magnet4sale.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PK magnet advice for watch and coin effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL