The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sub Trunk/Aquarian Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

illusionist13
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of illusionist13
I want to integrate a new subtrunk into my show, but this time with a twist. Water filled and see through. I have seen this performed numerous places, but where can I find the plans to build one, or purchase one? Is this the Aquarian Illusion, or still the sub trunk?

And Also, for those that are performing this particular illusion, what are some precations you take/consider when going this route?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
You need to have gills...makes it easier to breath while you're in the trunk.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Alan Wakeling created the first Aquarian sub trunk for Mark Wilson.
In later years Mark Kalin (with permission from Alan) created his own version and sold the exclusive rights to Anthony Reed - see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B12y_EoQ6TI
If you want to do this version you need to get permission from Anthony.
it's not a practical illusion...
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
I remember talking with Mark Wilson about the Aquarian effect. Some stages couldn't handle the weight of the tank or had problems with the inevitable water overflow damage. He also dealt with cold water, red eyes (too much clorine) brown water ( sediment and minerals in some locals), scalding hot water from a heater on too long. And of course--it now leaks. Also the change by todays standards is slow and requires a curtain cabinet.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Not to change the subject, but this got me thinking of something. I'm not sure how this could work, but I would love to see a water variation of the assistant's revenge. The assistant gets ino an upright tank, the curtain is circled around and the magician is now in the tank. I can think of a couple of solutions, but none are very good.

Just something to think about,
Richard
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Penn and Teller did a subtrunk in an aquarium before.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 13:10, rtgreen wrote:
Not to change the subject, but this got me thinking of something. I'm not sure how this could work, but I would love to see a water variation of the assistant's revenge. The assistant gets ino an upright tank, the curtain is circled around and the magician is now in the tank. I can think of a couple of solutions, but none are very good.

I know what you mean. That particular idea has been a personal mission of mine. I have a couple designs in my notebooks, but none of them reach the type of simplicity that I strive for. If you come up with a simple, workable solution, God bless you.

-Nick
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Dayle
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Dayle
Richard Sherry makes a Underwater Metamorphosis that can be seen here http://www.richardsherrysmagic.com/produ......pes.html

This is a water proof version of his Transparent Sub Trunk that he built over 25 years ago.

Cheers
Dayle
World's Most Accomplished Female Escape Artist
http://www.sherryandkrallmagic.com
Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
Craig Dickens is right. He just wrote everything I was about to say, which is based on my years of dealing with franz's water tank illusion. So that's two different Water tricks with the same problems.

(hey craig, haven't seen you in years, hope you're doing well)

Erich
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Not to brag....but these are the problems I hear about often...all of which we knew about ahead of time and designed our water cell with them in mind...and have solved.

-Some stages couldn't handle the weight of the tank. Our water cell weighs only 1400 pounds and is on five 5" casters spread out over 14 square feet. Can be easily pulled across stage by one person.

-Some had problems with the inevitable water overflow damage. We designed a membrane that Kristen falls thru which eliminates all water from splashing out. An NBA policy that we successfully adhered to for NBA halftime shows.

-cold water. We use a water heater and keep the water between 68-74 degrees

-red eyes(too much clorine). We filter the water each and every time...and on long runs, we filter the water each night.

-brown water. See above

-scalding hot water from a heater on too long. Water heater with a thermometer.

-it now leaks. We created a cylinder shaped tank with no seams.

Just wanted to show with enough desire..anything can be done.
Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The cylinder also cut down on the weight. People do not realize that Water is heavy. 7.5 # per gallon!.

That is why a good portable counterweight is collapsible water jug.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Sub Trunk/Aquarian Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL