The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » John Bannon's "Spin Doctor" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I'm going to order my today.

Thanks guy!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Here is a question for those of you that have this.

In the beginning of the routine he shows 4 aces face up. He takes the ace of spades in his right hand and now all of sudden the rest of the aces are face down. Does anyone see this as a major discrepancy?

I'm a big fan of John Bannon so don't flame me.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
349 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
About reengineering.

I feel that a big part of what you are paying for are the tips an subtleties that you get when somebody like mr Bannon tips his work, not just the mechanics of the effect.

These tips can only come from performing the trick in front of real people in the real world countless times and are often worth their weight in gold.

I have two of his books and I have read them both several times. There is always some little thing he writes that I have use for.

Another author with the same qualities would be Darwin Ortiz, and let's not forget Harry Lorayne.

BTW, mr Bannon knows the law so don't rip him off! Smile

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
EDH,
This is why you bring the ace up, look at it, and patter.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 06:07, wespetty wrote:
Quote:
Mr. Bannon has a winner here. IMO, it's the strongest of the Fractal series.

Christopher, I agree with it (and all 3 Fractals) being a winner.
Just curious as to why you feel that Spin Doctor plays stronger than the Royal Scam.

Cheers, Wes

All 3 Fractal effects are fantastic.

For me, Spin Doctor has been stronger. I remove the cards from a deck. It only uses 4 cards ( well...in their eyes ).

Of the 3 effects, this looks to be normal ( no extra cards, no duplicates, etc. ) It's just 4 aces from the deck. The deck is red back, the aces renovated are red back.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 16:39, edh wrote:
Here is a question for those of you that have this.

In the beginning of the routine he shows 4 aces face up. He takes the ace of spades in his right hand and now all of sudden the rest of the aces are face down. Does anyone see this as a major discrepancy?

I'm a big fan of John Bannon so don't flame me.

I don't see it as a major discrepancy, but it is a weak part of a great routine. I like the routine and misdirection is key here, but I feel those that do it a lot may get called on this at some point. I was using it strolling at a party last week and I just knew a woman had spotted the discrepancy from her facial expression but she said nothing. I think as I continued on and didn't mention it as an effect she possibly thought she had been mistaken, but as everyone was looking at me I saw the surprised look on her face. Her thoughts were possibly lost in the magical moments that followed. There are all sorts of trade offs in 'twisting' routines, but these in John's are worth it for ease of working and examinable ending.

Paul.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I thought about what to say in the event someone noticed and I think my response will be something along the lines of the AS being the all powerful/leader etc. and the others follow it's direction! Something along those lines!

I think the time misdirection described should handle it most of the time!

I didn't bring this out at the party I attended the other night because I just didn't have the time invested and I refuse to do a half assed job! We all mess up or flash here and there but I just won't show a new trick before I have it wired!

Brother Smooth, I ALWAYS do the BC whenever, wherever I am! The Blow Change ROCKS!

Mick
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Well the Spin Doctor just past the ultimate test..... my wife! As for the discrepancy in question, if anybody would have caught it she would but it flew right by! She's my toughest set of eyes and she ALWAYS tells me the truth regardless of my feelings! Smile Another couple hours of dedicated practice and I'll take it the streets!

I'd all but quit doing packet tricks but SD is a real winner in my book and I think it will become a staple!

Mick
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
I now have all 3 of the Fractal Card Magic pieces from John Bannon and for me, Royal Scam is by far the strongest effect, although all are absolutely wonderful. Thanks to Paul Hallas for showing me a little subtlety for Royal Scam that makes it even stronger.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

I need to revisit Royal Scam! I bought it when it first hit the market but never got around to putting in the time! As I recall it IS a hard hitter!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8844 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I like John's Fractal gang too, but for me I really like Duplicity. Smile Spin Doctor is nice and I'll have to give it a little more time. Very good set of effects.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Harm
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Harm
I ordered mine a few days ago. I hope to get it before X-Mas Smile
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
I've only got the first two (fairly certain Santa is brining number 3), but between the ones I have, it's a tough choice. Royal Scam to me is like a "mega" packet trick because it has way more cards and way bigger impact. It's also kind of long if you patter it out correctly. Duplicity, by comparison, is much simpler and feels more like a 4 card trick (two sets of 4). It's hard to compare them because one is essentially a mentalism trick and the other is a finger-flinging 9 card packet.

I'll be interested to see the effect of Spin Doctor on my audience. It fits a little better into the types of situations I'm usually in (based on time and the number of cards).
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
fbcarter
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of fbcarter
Edh

"In the beginning of the routine he shows 4 aces face up. He takes the ace of spades in his right hand and now all of sudden the rest of the aces are face down. Does anyone see this as a major discrepancy? "

I just got mine.. and have performed it only twice.. But frankly I did not like the time misdirection.. as John's patter did not really fit well in it in my opinion and style.. I could not come up with something of my own... I just do a wrist kill as I lift the Ace of spades show it.. say we are saving till last and goon.. no one noticed he discrepancy and I don't think any wil.. why run when no one is chasing..

for me the time misdirection lasts for the time it takes to lift it.. show it quickly turn it over and put it to the bottom...

Remember we sometimes look to hard at these things...

Great effect. John...
Farley Carter...
We do not do Magic... We create illusions, confusions, do sleight of hand, tricks and sometimes downright cheat... But sometimes if we do all this well people see Magic..
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7006 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I do the wrist kill thing too. Works great.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1783 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I believe Liz is the same Elizabeth that appeared his ealier videos
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Guys, I have used this gem about 100 times this december, for paying audiences......(the clean deck plus selection version) and it is a wonderfully entertaining fooler, recommended for workers!.

Dave.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
tobias harmann
View Profile
New user
North Piddle, UK
91 Posts

Profile of tobias harmann
The trick is only "OK"...

Liz, however, is a fox!
keith1569
View Profile
New user
California
87 Posts

Profile of keith1569
Hmm I might have to pick this up..seems like it will be a good addition
loyaleagle
View Profile
Special user
Montgomery Village, Maryland
567 Posts

Profile of loyaleagle
I'm finding the handling slightly more wonky than Royal Scam's. I guess my expectations might have been raised just a little too high by his other triumphs. This is still an excellent trick, but it is taking longer for me to feel natural doing it for some reason.

I wish the video would just stay on his hands the whole time instead of randomly cutting to further away shots...makes learning the subtleties of his hands a bit more challenging. Oh and I too find his presentation kind of hard to take on seriously. Playing around with my own wording...
Visit my blog: ScienceIsMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » John Bannon's "Spin Doctor" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL