We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This forum vs. penguin magic forum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Okay, so it's not 12 rounds of action... but I did notice a lot of misspelling/poor grammar there (as opposed to here). Without stereotyping too much, is it because the posters there tend to be much younger? Don't get me wrong, there's some helpful stuff there and I've even seen a few of the Magic Café members there (hope that's not a mortal sin) but the mistakes are glaring and frequent. Anyone know why?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Penguins are plain stupid. ever see where they live?

Kids are stupid too. My kids haven't even tried to run away yet.

Penguin kids..... They are the future of magic.

Also, the Magic Café is pretty diligent about grammar and spelling in most of the little hidey holes here. Most Internet forums are less so... Lol OMG, LMAO..... Teh troof der!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12035 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
As far as information, I think there is no comparison. Café rules.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
It seems I read somewhere that over time, eye make up and the ink from handling black cards begins to seep into the skin, enter the blood stream and slowly erode the brain. Couple that with prolonged exposure of Metal and/or Techno music and they begin suffering low forms of psychosis that often manifest itself in different forms of illiteracy! Smile

Or quite possibly, it could just be what was referred too back in the day as "The Generation Gap"!
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Possibly. Though I've got quite a bit of ink under my skin (tattoos) and have a history of listening to and being in punk bands. I'm inclined to point the finger at the decline of public schools + disinterest on the part of parents, but that's pure speculation. Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The Penguin forum is all about promoting Penguin products, and although we have controls here, the censorship there eliminates anything that does not praise them. Oh yes none of their members are old enough to shave.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Mickey and Al, can we all get together and go bowling?

kevin
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 13:05, whitjm5 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 12:13, MickeyPainless wrote:
It seems I read somewhere that over time, eye make up and the ink from handling black cards begins to seep into the skin, enter the blood stream and slowly erode the brain. Couple that with prolonged exposure of Metal and/or Techno music and they begin suffering low forms of psychosis that often manifest itself in different forms of illiteracy! Smile

Or quite possibly, it could just be what was referred too back in the day as "The Generation Gap"!

Possibly. Though I've got quite a bit of ink under my skin (tattoos) and have a history of listening to and being in punk bands. I'm inclined to point the finger at the decline of public schools + disinterest on the part of parents, but that's pure speculation. Smile

The Teachers unions have left the good parents feeling disillusioned and helpless. They then get their kids out of public schools by either home schooling or paying for privet schools or just give up.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 13:14, Al Angello wrote:
The Penguin forum is all about promoting Penguin products, and although we have controls here, the censorship there eliminates anything that does not praise them. Oh yes none of their members are old enough to shave.

I noticed the censorship rule. It really cheapens the value of a forum.

And way too many of the posts are like: "I'm 13, got an invisible deck and practiced for five minutes before amazing my whole class." I have no problem with young magicians, but it is telling when the majority of your users are in Middle School. LOL.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
The median (but perhaps not so much the average) age of Penguin forum posters IS rather young.

However, and I'm not sure when you checked it last, but I think the Penguin forums are presently some of the LEAST censored magic forums around.

True, blatant marketing of other magic sites is not allowed there, but the range of topics (especially off-topic subjects like politics and religion) allowed to be discussed is far greater than at most other major magic forums.

Anyway, if you want to compare grammar and maturity of posts at different magic forums then lets start a Magic Café versus Genii forum thread. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

***Possibly. Though I've got quite a bit of ink under my skin (tattoos) and have a history of listening to and being in punk bands.***

Different ink man and I said Metal/Techno not punk! Smile
Both my sons have played in punk bands and although I know it may not be true punk, I dig "Flogging Molly" and "Dropkick Murphy"!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1638 Posts

Profile of Futureal
1) The Penguin forum doesn't have a group of people who read every thread and correct spelling errors.

2) The average age on the Penguin forum is probably 14 or so, here it's probably 60.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 19:54, MickeyPainless wrote:
***Possibly. Though I've got quite a bit of ink under my skin (tattoos) and have a history of listening to and being in punk bands.***

Different ink man and I said Metal/Techno not punk! Smile
Both my sons have played in punk bands and although I know it may not be true punk, I dig "Flogging Molly" and "Dropkick Murphy"!

Mickey,

Thanks for noticing the difference. Many people group heavy/fast music together and I did wear eyeliner as a teenager, so I didn't think I was off the hook. Smile Good bands you mentioned. Though Murphys is plural, FYI, not just trying to be 'that spelling guy'. Talk to you soon! Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

My oldest kid called me on that as well! Dropkick Murphys! I love the soundtrack in Departed! My eldest male child is just shy of 24 and I've seem him in eyeliner, hair dyed blue black including his eye brows! He once did a show as front man in a punk/rockabilly band in nuttin but a jock strap and suspenders! Da boy drove me nuts in his teens..... Shoot, he drives me nuts still! LOL
BTW, I've got nothing against tats, I have some ink myself!
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Pretty cool Mickey! I know I drove my dad nuts as a teenager (no drugs, crime or anything - just weird stuff like mohawks, blue hair and piercings) but I'm his most successful adult child. Smile I'll be the first in my immediate family to graduate college and we often swap business/entrepreneurship ideas. It's funny how much time can change things. Smile I'm four years older than your son and I know the relationship with my dad has gotten better with time. Don't let him drive you too nuts, but do return the favor. I plan to use senility to my advantage someday. "What do you mean I pinched the nurse's butt?" LOL!!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 23:46, Futureal wrote:
1) The Penguin forum doesn't have a group of people who read every thread and correct spelling errors.

2) The average age on the Penguin forum is probably 14 or so, here it's probably 60.

For example, when a rather well-known magician discovered that a certain magic company had deceived him in a contract he had signed with them, he raised a big stink about it in several places.

Some of the people here who posted about it did so in such a way that it was a bit stronger than the law would allow, i.e., it left the Café open to a lawsuit. These posts got deleted. Others who posted essentially the same thing, but without the name-calling, were left alone.

Steve et al. try to run a civilized forum. All of us are aware of this. That is, we are aware of it if we read the rules when we signed on! Smile

Some call it unnecessary censorship. Others say that it is a private forum, and Steve can set the rules any way he wants to.

So that's it in a nutshell.

Even with the censorship, a lot of really good information manages to be passed from one person to another with a minimum of hassle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
spencerpeterson
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
186 Posts

Profile of spencerpeterson
I'm a fairly young magician but I have many good recources sInce I live in New York, this is the only forum I use since I know that 85% of the people there are 12 years old who don't know what they're talking about.
www.cleardeception.wordpress.com

The Magic of Spencer Peterson
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Quote:
On 2008-06-16 00:59, spencerpeterson wrote:
I'm a fairly young magician but I have many good recources sInce I live in New York, this is the only forum I use since I know that 85% of the people there are 12 year old who don't know what they're talking about.

That's awesome. It does get old reading stories about people doing magic tricks in school, though. I guess if people spent time learning instead of doing magic in school, they wouldn't have such a hard time with spelling and grammar. LOL
sean_mh
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of sean_mh
Well I spend some time over there and I'm, ahem, significantly older than the demographic.

It's fun and mostly harmless.

Don't get me wrong, I like it here too! I feel younger LMAO

Sean
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I like it! We have young Whit from Jax, two mentalist from Fernadina Beach, and myself! Paul Cummins is in Orange Park and my lil' pal Kev King is also in Jax. Good times!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This forum vs. penguin magic forum (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL