The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Looking for a review of MindStorms by Sean Taylor (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Sean Taylor
View Profile
New user
Australia
11 Posts

Profile of Sean Taylor
The DVDs are on the way Greg.

Sean
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6173 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 20:28, Sean Taylor wrote:
The DVDs are on the way Greg.

Sean

Cool.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6173 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Just got the DVD. Thanks.

Greg
Franky
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Franky
Mine has also arrived. The book is fantastic and the routines are great. This book is higly recommended

Thanks Sean for the book.

Franky
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
That's one of the book I throw into the very good book drawer. I read and collect good mentalism book and this is a good book! Also recommend Visual and Psycho Perception. BEST MENTALISM BOOK period.

Aaronish
Sean Taylor
View Profile
New user
Australia
11 Posts

Profile of Sean Taylor
A couple of pms came in this weekend. Just to answer you all at once.

1. I have plenty of stock.
2. You can get it only directly from me
3. Airmail is included anywhere in the world.
4. The dvds are posted separately since it tips the scales in the post office if they are in the same bag. Most have now gone out.

Thank you all for your kind words

Sean
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
In short, Sean had developed a number of very practical/workable routines in which the pain-to-glory ratio leans heavily in your favor.

"Persuasive Banknight" is one of the best presentational premises for a banknight I have ever read. I love it, it was my favorite item in the book. I can imagine that his audiences have truly enjoyed this... is a fantastic presentation. Aside from Bryn reynolds banknight routine, most others have left me feeling a bit cold. Sean's rationale for getting the right envelope and the "mind-play" during the process is absolute genius. I really love this. It seems like a lot of fun!

I will also concur that the newspaper test is a favorite as well. Great routine here.

Although it has been years since I performed T.O.D., if you are looking for a clinically clean version, Sean's got one for you. Sean had some pretty intense demands for his routine. He solution is a presentation which addresses some of the potential weaknesses in standard T.O.D. routines. This is the work a meticulous person.

Sean's booktest really had me thinking as well. It is one of those, "duh"... I should have thought of that methods and approaches. It's nice that this idea will work with ANY BOOK. That's a nice feature, indeed. Though this comment will only relevant to people who have the book, I think this item (which I have had this tool in drawer for years), which could be utilized nicely with the Sean's idea: http://www.camirandmagic.com/rt_026.html

There has been much discussion about price and value reagarding ebooks, books and materials offered to the magic community. I don't know how to put price on extremely workable ideas. If you use one routine, then the cliche' holds true; "the material will pay for itself". I honestly think Sean's book is full of workable ideas (from which I am sure you will probably find at least one that suits you). He is only releasing 500 copies. I am glad to own one.

Of course, how could I not like a guy who spells his name in the correct way (never trust those Shawns, Shauns and the like).

With regard,

Sean
Sean Taylor
View Profile
New user
Australia
11 Posts

Profile of Sean Taylor
The DVDs have now all shipped. If you don't have one by Monday, let me know.
I will also have more WOWallets later today for the Symbology WOW routine.

Sean Taylor
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
That's so annoying I wish I got this book. I was at the ibm and sam combined convention and I almost picked it up but didn't. I should have know that Sean Taylor doesn't put out crap. I guess I have to order it now. Thanks for the great reviews guys
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
Quote:
On 2008-07-12 02:11, Piers wrote:
Bought it also, and need to collect my thoughts on it.

( I assume the DVD will follow, as mine came without .... nice bonus )

Piers.

The DVD did follow. Always nice to someone else's style.

When I initially read the book, I wasn't sure about it. Seemed like I had read it before elsewhere. And then I realised that I had ... on Sean Water's lecture CD.

So I read it again...

What you get is a very nicely produced, shiny, hardcover, 200+ page book. Six chapters, with 3,4 or 5 effects in each titled chapter. All the material is good. There are sections on Sean's special envelope, his thinking on the classics, the wonderful symbology deck, and what I think is one of the best chair tests there is. While it does need thinking and practise, the end result appears impossible, in a very positive way.

This is a great book amongst many of the new thinkers. Well produced, solid and usable.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Upon opening this book there is an endorsement by Richard Webster (who is certainly no slouch in the mentalism World) so you know it's got to be good stuff.

The lectures - the refreshing thing here is that the advice and observations are free of BS and fluff and come from REAL WORLD experience. There is also some excellent advice for those who are crossing over to mentalism from the magic World. Personally I'm an improvisational dancer/stamp collector trying to make the leap to mentalism but I still found the advice valid. Smile

Persuasive Banknight - A great premise, very entertaining, huge comedy potential AND as the book says - Bank Night finally makes sense.

Anchors Ahoy (Tossed out Deck)- A routine which is diabolical on a number of different levels. I don't want to give away methods but suffice to say that this is a REAL fooler. There are a number of elements to this routine which are well motivated and as such are extremely elegant pieces of methodology.

News Of The World - Bob Cassidy talks a lot about macro effects, that is effects that play to the entire audience. This routine is the epitome of macro effects. I'd love to see it played out live, but just on reading it I can see that it is a spectacle of epic proportions. It definitely gets the entire audience involved and once again the effect would be devestating to an audience.

That covers just a few of the routines, but honestly the book is full of good, real world, useable material.

There is a section on a clever utility device and several great routines using it. I'm not going into details purely because I'd really like to keep that particular section to myself.

The final chapter covers the Symbology Deck. I've been aware of this deck for some time but I've never bought one. However, upon reading about the construction of the deck I thought 'Holy cr*p! I've got to get this thing!'.

I give the book 10/10. The material is fresh, it's tested, it's decpetive and it's entertaining.
Wanderer2
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Wanderer2
Could somebody describe what the audience sees in the newspaper test? I'm looking for a good newspaper prediction. I suppose the two that I'm interested in right now are this one, and "Random Thoughts". If anyone has advice on these, or knows of any other newspaper predictions, that would be fantastic. Thanks a bundle.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6173 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
It look it's similar to the Koran effect but in a grand scale. Newspapers are handed out into the audience and everyone selects a double page from within. They all tear up their sheets to about one-sixteenth size. Another spectator secretly writes a number between 1 and 30.
The pieces are collected by another spectator and the pieces are whittled down again to a useable amount. The secret number is counted down to in the stack by a spectator and a word is picked from that piece.
The performer has predicted the word.
Sean gives you four methods of accomplishing the effect.
It's a really good book.

Greg
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
I've just ordered this. Very much looking forward to it.

Chris
Sean Taylor
View Profile
New user
Australia
11 Posts

Profile of Sean Taylor
PRICE REDUCTION

Before you all start leaping for the keyboard, I have not changed the price of my book and will not be changing it.

A quirk of the worldwide change (read drop!) in the currency markets has seen our Aussie dollar plummet. When I launched the book is was 1 to 1 with the US. So.... if you order my book from my website now, it still costs you A$99.95. The difference is that this is only around US$70 and this includes airmail anywhere and a Free DVD. http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com.au

Incidently, for those statesiders who have a problem grasping all this. You can go to http://www.xe.com and do an exchange calculation instantly between any 2 major currencies.

Sean Taylor
Sean Taylor
View Profile
New user
Australia
11 Posts

Profile of Sean Taylor
Make that US$66 and falling - oh dear.........

Sean
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On 2008-10-22 22:32, Sean Taylor wrote:
Make that US$66 and falling - oh dear.........

Sean

...and we were doing so well for a while. Magic had suddenly become a cheap hobby for us Aussies! Ah well...
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
210 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
And currently the exchange rate makes it about $62US

Mindstorms is definitely a bargain.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Ahhhhhh just ordered... Smile
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2500 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Very good book.
Sean's a fun performer to watch as well...
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Looking for a review of MindStorms by Sean Taylor (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL