The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Midwest Magic Jubilee 2008 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Only 2 days left!!! Woohoo!!! See you all soon!

Tony
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I guess I'd better start packing.
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Josh...make sure to tell Jason, Joseph, Mike, and Steve I said "Hi"
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
magicjy
View Profile
New user
Big Stone Gap, VA
61 Posts

Profile of magicjy
Kyle,

Wish you could of made MWJ this year. Guess I will not be able to talk SOUTHERN to anyone this year. ha! Btw, SEAM is looking like it is going to be a NO GO for me.

Joseph
---
MAGIC is believing in yourself.
If you can do that, you can make anything happen. - Foka Gomez

Joseph Young
WWW.JOSEPHYOUNGMAGIC.COM
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
No SEAM? Bah. You're missing out my friend. Time to get ready for the Jubilee. Well, time to make gaffs anyway.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I got home from the Jubilee a couple of hours ago, what a blast. It was great seeing Jimmy, Dan and Joe again, as well as making a lot of new friends.

There's so much to go into, but what a spectacular time. The people who didn't go -really- missed out!
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Yes a great time is right, Josh. Congradulations on the 1st place for close-up, well deserved.

Saw some old friends, Howie, Tom Craven, Tom Gagnon, Dan Fleshman, and as usual, Mark Mason was a delight. Met some new friends this year.....Carroll Baker, Jonathan Levit, Geoff Williams.

Had a great time. The two days of close-up shows had a great variety of entertainers and a surprise visit from Chris Kenner who I finally got to meet and was a delight.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I had a great time. The whole thing was awesome, but the best was meeting and getting to talk with guys like Jimmy Molinari, Carrol Baker, Howie Schwarzman (Howie is a trip and a walth of knowledge), Dan Fleshman, and more. These guys are real class acts and will spend time with you to talk or teach you things.
Congrats to Josh on 1st place. I also got to meet Michael Baker who frequents the Café.
Overall, even though there were some minor snags with my room and some scheduling changes, I can't say enough good things about the whole conference.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Jack it was good visiting with you and Al. Has Al gotten his finger out of the deck, yet?
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I started posting about the Jubilee in my blog, so I thought I'd paste it here as well:

Quote:
About 6 hours ago, I drove in from the Midwest Magic Jubilee in St. Louis. I wasn't sure if I was going to attend this year or not, as I was already planning on attending SEAM in Atlanta later this month, and most of the Kansas City crew would not be there. I'm glad that I attended though.

The convention was a blast. While the first day was relatively slow, I did have a nice long talk with Kozmo about Cellini, Slydini and the art of Street Magic before heading off to dinner with John Greget. The stage show was, shall we say, under par, it thankfully did not set the tone for the first convention. After the show, Tony White had a lecture, but I missed it. I don't do silk magic, and his performance piece that evening was not appealing to me. I spent most of the rest of the evening in the dealer's room looking at John Greget's books.

I was able to attend Steve Daley's lecture though. While there was no information in there that I could probably use, it was highly entertaining for me. I left around 1:30, not staying for his card portion (as I had to get up at 7:00 for the close-up competition).

Even though I got little sleep the night before, I had a difficult time falling asleep, as I was sleeping on the floor, since I was sharing a room with Michael Baker and Joseph Young. I don't know if I got any sleep or not, but my alarm eventually let me know that it was time to get up.

I figured I would have little problem with the act, since I had already put a lot of work into certain portions of it in my restaurant, and performed it multiple times the month before (and winning 1st at my local club's competition). I realized, however, that I failed to pack a prop. It wasn't pivotal for the act though, just a waiter's pad, so I picked up a notepad at the shop in the lobby before heading off.

We had five people competing that morning (close-up competitions, or any competition, should not be held at 8:00 AM), and equally as many judges. The incomparable Mark Mason, restaurant magic expert Dan Fleshman, Marlo protege Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari, Celebracadabra host Jonathan Levit and lay person judge Jay Meyers. If that's not enough, the legendary Howie Schwarzman was in the front row.

I won't go into the details of what everyone did, or what I did (as you probably know by now), but everyone did a spectacular job, and I walked away with first. I don't know how the judges did it, I know I couldn't. (I found it funny that Jonathan suggested using a waiter's pad instead of a regular notepad, the lesson is to quadruple check your props!)

Mark and Dan left some minimal feedback, but the suggestion they made will solve a major problem in the act, and I have already found a solution. Jonathan also gave me some very good advice, which will require me to tweak my script a bit, but there's nothing wrong with that. I had a 'Duh!' moment when he told me.

The day progressed slowly after that, with a lecture from Tom Craven, who was frying everyone the night before with a trick I later learned was from Apocalypse (I swear, if it's not in Apocalypse, it's Marlo's), he had some very nice ideas. Michael Baker was up next, who also provided a nice lecture. A group of us went off to lunch at a BBQ restaurant down the road from the hotel. They were proud of their Kansas City style sauce. It wasn't Kansas City. The food was good though, and reasonably priced.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I had a good time...nice people and ti was fun workign for magicians for the first time EVER! don't know how they felt about me but it was interesting at least
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Jimmy,
Al solved that problem, but he hasn't recovered from Howie's ball busting yet.
After Al's experience with Howie, he looks at me and says "Well, are you going to do something for Howie"? My response was "Are you F*****G NUTS"?
What a great time in St. Louis. I'll be there next year.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Finally home now after an extended road trip foillowing MMJ.

Saw some great acts and met some very nice folks, who I hope will now be continued friends.

Congrats to Josh for snagging first place in the close-up contest!! May your fortune cookies lead to other fortunes! Smile

For anyone else whom was there, I was the guy whose name was on the schedule with Velcro. My performance days and times were shuffled around a couple of times, so I was usually not where the schedule said I would be. This was all done to accommodate some of the other performers for a variety of reasons, and I believe it worked out for the best.

Thanks to those who stopped by my dealer booth to see the "toys".

Hope to do it again!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Carroll, it was great hanging with you...hope I made you laugh a little bit

kozzie
Mike Melito
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Mike Melito
A wonderful time. The only thing missing that could have made it better is a banjo playing southern boy.
carrollbaker
View Profile
New user
Ohio
85 Posts

Profile of carrollbaker
Koz! You were the funniest street magician at the Jubilee. I am glad that I got to see you work. I want to be th first one to buy your Street DVD when it hits the market!

I never did get to show you any of my close-up. PM me your email so that I can send you some of the photos!

Carroll
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I was the ONLY street guy there so I guess that's safe
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Carroll,

I'm already camping in line to buy Koz's street DVD, you can be second though! I enjoyed watching your close-up work.

Koz, I can't speak for everyone, but I enjoyed watching you work. Very funny stuff.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Thanks.....working on the dvd's.....big project but maybe by november

koz
magicjy
View Profile
New user
Big Stone Gap, VA
61 Posts

Profile of magicjy
I had a great time at MWJ. It is always fun meeting and making new friends. Congrats again to Josh for taking 1st Place in Close-UP. Last year Mike Melito (Mr. Tin Can Man) won close-up. Maybe Steve Z will hire both of you to be on the pro show next year.

Carroll Baker...you was my favorite closeup magician there with the last name of Baker that performed on the Friday Closeup show.

Michael Baker...you was my favorite closeup magician there with the name of Baker that performed on the Saturday Closeup show.

Koz....you was my favorite closeup/street magician that performed a signned bill routine. I thought the guy on the Friday show did a good version too. ha!

The Amazing Johnathan....he was my favorite magician of the entire Jubille. You had to be there!

****You had to be there to understand because Geoff Williams who MC the Friday Night show keep saying every performer was his favorite

Joseph Young
---
MAGIC is believing in yourself.
If you can do that, you can make anything happen. - Foka Gomez

Joseph Young
WWW.JOSEPHYOUNGMAGIC.COM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Midwest Magic Jubilee 2008 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL