The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Gimnosophistic Arcanum Speculum Artis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
I like to discuss about the perform of fakirism stunts. I like to read about your experiences in performing them. There are many posible patern to do that, and like to know your ways. They can be done into a mentalism context (I use to do that for the needle fron eye to eye), or in a storytelling act (as the Acid Test in the Game of the Medicis, by the Curator Christian Chelman, in his book Carpicornian Tales), or in an frame of Bizarre/Goethic/Ceremonial Magick (I perform Glass Eating and bare foot broken glass walking in my performance of Baba`s SahKriFyce and MoJoh, from his Vodu Mgick book, and in my own performance of mistic surgeries).
They can be really magical in a good frame, with the perfect atmosphere, the correct words, and with excellent perform skills.
So, let`s enjoy with your comments, my magical friends.
Lux In Tenebris
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Some effects in Hauntiques, voodoo section.
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
Hauntiques has a vodoo section? May be the second journey, with the excellent routine, Orishas.
By the way, I like to write mi opinion on that book, I always wanted to write to the author and take this opportunity. (sorry, but my English is not mi language, so is full of spelling and gramar failures)

Hauntiques is a real magical book. I loved it when I started to read, I loved it when I finished, and I love it a year and a half later. I never had perform any of the routines (instead of Carpicornian Tales) (two reasons: first, I think Chelman wrote the book for magician´s inspiration, for creativity building. second, the props are unique, so, may be you want to do some variations and adaptations. I prefer not touch these stories. I think they teach you how to be creative in your own work.)
What I found is a deep inspiration for my work, especially from The Hand, wich teaches about the psicological andtional power of a strange prop a Tzantza, a jivaro´s shrunked head, in my efect about the egyptian goddes Wadjet. Some eclectic simbolism that works well) and the excellent essay about the creation of a Hauntique. The principles of the suspension of Disbelief gave me good material for my Master Thesis (I quoted the book in the bibliography) about a Borges´ tale.
Is a must have for any bizarrist. I learned a lot from its pages, most of may work has the spirit of this book.
Lux In Tenebris
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
I like to know your experiences. I believe these stunts are more than geek carnival stuff. They can be very powerful magic with a good pattern. They can be artistic in the proper context.
Lux In Tenebris
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
If by any chance you read French, you should try to get Compendium Sortilegionis, the book is almost sold out.
It's the most advanced book in the serie.
In Hauntiques, the Tarot of the Sensitives is my actual basis for a more complex work about the relation between the Tarot of Marseille and the Vampire lore.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Magnalucius, you do know the curator is the author of hauntiques right?
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
Of course! The Curator of the Saturneum is Christian Chelman. And his photo/avatar appears in the book.
Anybody knows where can I find the Compendium Sortilegionis?
Lux In Tenebris
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
By the way, one part of my comment of Hauntique cannot be understand, because is deleted: here is what I tried to write:
What I found is a deep inspiration for my work, especially from The Hand, wich teaches about the psicological and emotional power of a strange prop ( I use a Tzantza, a jivaro´s shrunked head, in my efect about the egyptian goddes Wadjet. Some eclectic simbolism that works well) and the excellent essay about the creation of a Hauntique.
Lux In Tenebris
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
Does anybody like to tell us about experiences in performing fakirism stunts in an magical/bizarre context? I like to read about:
Audience reactions
The routine yor developed
The context of the stunt.

Cheers!
Lux In Tenebris
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
686 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
I bought Compendium Sortilegionis from here:

http://www.cc-editions.fr/livres-de-magi......ts_id=40

Be aware that, as the Curator has mentioned, the book is written in French...as is the website above.

It is an excellent book filled with enough material and ideas to keep you thinking and inspired for a long time!
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
Thanks a lot, Harlequin
Lux In Tenebris
Magnalucius
View Profile
Loyal user
Ecuador
210 Posts

Profile of Magnalucius
Well, it seems nobody is interested in this topic... I would like to read your comments of that kind of magical performance.
Lux In Tenebris
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I have performed Fakir stunts for thirty years, but usually within the context of the American sideshow. I try to keep magic tricks and Fakirs stunts separate so that the stunts can be appreciated for their lack of deception. I also play up the historical and cultural elements of the carnival and circus sideshow.
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Ringo
I'll back-up the recommendation of the compendium sortilegionis. All three Chelman books inspired me, but the compendium is a work of art in more than one way !
And the curator is one of those rare people who doesn't only talk the talk, but walks the walk too ! Respect !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Gimnosophistic Arcanum Speculum Artis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL