The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Open Prediction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26~27~28~29 [Next]
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Hey, thanks for the 'Fate' vote, Snape! I'm glad you like it!

Warm regards,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Thank you Alexander. Mislav's contribution is worthy of your vote. Thanks to both of you for your participation in The Open Prediction Project.

The votes: 27 recorded

1 vote for Solution #1 -- Fate by Mick Ayres. (Voted by Snipe)

3 votes for Solution #2 -- Unanimis by Mick Ayres. (Voted by Iain Dunford; Evan Shuster; Christian (of Christian and Katalina))

1 vote for Solution #7 -- POW! by Tom Begley (Voted by Claude Imperiale)

7 votes for Solution #15 -- Johnny's Dilemma, by Hector Chadwick (Voted by Nick Wallace; Andreas Michaelides; Mark Nichols; Miikka Pakarinen; Seth Cauthorne; Hiro Okada; MiketheMagicDude)

4 votes for Solution #20 -- Path of a Sherpa, by Aaron Enyeart. (Voted by Muse; Mick Ayres; Cardzilla; Vinnymac)

2 votes for Solution #21 -- Impromptu L.A. Open, by Aaron Enyeart (Voted by Don Theo; Prototype)

1 vote for Solution #29 -- SUMO, by Mislav Kovacic (Voted by Alexander May)

1 vote for Solution #37 -- Finish Open From The Start, by Miikka Pakarinen (Voted by Joshua Giles(Cardwiz))

1 vote for Solution #41 -- OPP by Joshua Quinn (Voted by Hector Chadwick)

1 vote for Solution #42 -- Open Secret, by Tom Ransom (Voted by Patrick G. Redford)

3 votes for Solution #44 -- Adventageous, by Patrick Redford (Voted by will4gzus; Merlin 1979; Pier Luca.)

1 vote for Solution #45 -- The OP Spread, by Patrick Redford (Voted by Chris Bruce)

1 vote for Solution #49 -- The Truly Fantastic Open Prediction, by Dominic Twose (Voted by John Forrest)

Counting today, only 5 more days left to vote!!!

- entity
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Well I'll put my vote for #2 Unanimis by Mick Ayres. I was looking for a shuffled, hands off (execpt for the spec), and simple instructions. #20
was a close 2nd... Thanks for a well done project Tom.

Tom
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Thanks to you, Tom G., for supporting this project and for your vote.

The votes: 28 recorded

4 votes for Solution #2 -- Unanimis by Mick Ayres. (Voted by Iain Dunford; Evan Shuster; Christian (of Christian and Katalina); Tom G.)

7 votes for Solution #15 -- Johnny's Dilemma, by Hector Chadwick (Voted by Nick Wallace; Andreas Michaelides; Mark Nichols; Miikka Pakarinen; Seth Cauthorne; Hiro Okada; MiketheMagicDude)

4 votes for Solution #20 -- Path of a Sherpa, by Aaron Enyeart. (Voted by Muse; Mick Ayres; Cardzilla; Vinnymac)

2 votes for Solution #21 -- Impromptu L.A. Open, by Aaron Enyeart (Voted by Don Theo; Prototype)

1 vote for Solution #37 -- Finish Open From The Start, by Miikka Pakarinen (Voted by Joshua Giles(Cardwiz))

1 vote for Solution #42 -- Open Secret, by Tom Ransom (Voted by Patrick G. Redford)

3 votes for Solution #44 -- Adventageous, by Patrick Redford (Voted by will4gzus; Merlin 1979; Pier Luca.)

1 vote for Solution #45 -- The OP Spread, by Patrick Redford (Voted by Chris Bruce)

1 vote for Solution #49 -- The Truly Fantastic Open Prediction, by Dominic Twose (Voted by John Forrest)

Please vote, if you haven't already. It would be nice to get at least 51 votes in.

- entity
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Sorry about my late vote in this. I felt that out of respect to all contributors and in order to ethically pick a favorite out of the many submissions in the book, it was an absolute requirement that all submissions be read and analyzed each against the other. That took a lot of time. After reading the entire book and then re-reading a number of the many wonderful effects that initially caught my attention, I narrowed my choice down to three.

The three finalists:

Hector Chadwick's #15 "Johnny's Dilemma"
Aaron Enyeart's #20 "Path of a Sherpa"
Aaron Enyeart's #21 "Impromptu L.A. Open"

I love Hector's "Johnny's Dilemma" both for the story and the simplicity of performance. I absolutely fell in love with Hector's extensive treatise on this effect--particularly his treatise on his performance script, rationale therefor and analysis thereof. His treatise just sucks you in and won't let go. So many performance nuggets. What a wonderful read. On the other hand, I wasn't enthused about the preparation and use of a highly gimmicked specialized deck. The deck takes a lot of work to prepare and, if the effect is performed a lot, this will require constant replacement of the deck and--accordingly, a lot of gimmicked deck(s) preparation.

I liked Aaron's "Path to a Sherpa", (and, like Mick Ayres, I was intrigued by Aaron's great new use of an evergreen card force). And totally impromptu!! Great thinking. I was less enthused by the fact that the methodology so significantly deviated from the James' criteria. But, a truly great effect and storyline.

Being almost a religious convert to Gordon Bean's "Los Angeles Open", I really liked Aaron's "Impromptu L.A. Open" version of the effect. I like the fact that the effect is virtually impromptu and only requires the secret reversal of a card in the deck. (My kind of "gimmicking" since the move and the effect can be inserted anywhere within any card set of routines and/or the deck can be immediately examined after the effect).

Note that none of the three foregoing routines adhere to the James criterion of "allowing the spectator to shuffle the deck and then immediately dealing the cards one at a time". However, none of the routines in the book adhere 100% to the James Criteria and, on balance, IMHO, the dealing by the performer is so clean in each of "my" above three finalists that such is a small price to pay and the effect sought by James is essentially met by any of these three finalist.

The verdict:

Its a virtual toss-up between Hector's "Johnny's Dilemma" and Aaron's "Impromptu L.A. Open". (Each for different reasons.) IMHO, both Hector's methodology and Aaron's methodology are quite similar in presentation and revelation. Both have:

1. The performer either dealing or spreading the cards until the spectator says "Stop!"
2. Both utilize the same "turn the cards over to show the predicted card is not amongst them" type of procedure.
3. Both depend on turning the deck over and spreading the cards after the "dirty work has been performed.
4. Both use a deck that is either totally ungimmicked and able to be immediately used for other effects OR the deck is remains gimmicked but can be immediatley utilized for other effects.

In the end, I went for the ungimmicked impromptu nature of Aaron's methodology. I didn't like the requirement for extensive gimmicking of the deck (as required in Hector's method). With Aaron's methodology, I liked the freedom of performance, the ability to use a borrowed deck (and even an incomplete deck at that), the relative impropmtuness of the effect and the ability to allow the deck to be examined immediately afterwards (and left as a souvenir, if desired).

In my judgment, all the above slightly tips the balance in favor of Aaron's #21 "Impromptu L.A. Open". As such, Aaron Enyeart's # 21 "Impromtu L.A. Open" is my choice as the best, most practical, easy to perform, uncluttered handling and premise of the OP criteria.

That said, there were sooo many great effects/routines in this OPP book. Narrowing the selections down to just the above three was very difficult and took two weeks of reading and re-reading and just sitting and analyzing each against the others. My congratulations and thanks to all of the contributors. What a great book and labor of love.

And, lest I forget, congratulations and many thanks to Thomas Baxter for all the time, effort and love he put into this project. It is deeply deeply appreciated by this writer.

Best regards to all.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Yay Mike! Thanks for your wonderful comments (but I do think that Brrr! meets all of Stewart's conditions!), and for your vote.

The votes: 29 recorded

4 votes for Solution #2 -- Unanimis by Mick Ayres. (Voted by Iain Dunford; Evan Shuster; Christian (of Christian and Katalina); Tom G.)

3 votes for Solution #21 -- Impromptu L.A. Open, by Aaron Enyeart (Voted by Don Theo; Prototype; Turk)

Tip: If several people voted in a bunch, I wouldn't make so many updates. Vote!!!

- entity
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
You might be right, Tom. Frankly, I wasn't even considering your entries in my comments since none of them were eligible for voting. Like other people, I really like "Brrr! and it certainly was the standard against which all the contributors and their contributions were measured against.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Hey Tom G...

Thank you for your vote on 'Unanimis'! I'm seriously thrilled that it met your standards.

By the way, for those who are familiar with Jim Callahan's 'Road Trip Gaff', combining his concept with the 'Unanimis' method makes for an even cleaner handling. It's worth considering.

Warm regards,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Mike- Thank you so much for your vote! That was well thought out and informative.

Just one thing....I believe "Sherpa" can be shuffled by the spectator and then they deal the cards immediatly one at a time.

Thanks again for your vote of "Impromptu LA Open". It was you who STUNNED me with the performance of the original L.A Open. I wont soon forget it.

Aaron
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
Doctor Whoston
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
149 Posts

Profile of Doctor Whoston
Hector Chadwick is out in front with good reason. His contribution is well written, entertaining and most importantly educational - I learnt a lot.
But I'm not going to vote for it. To me his actual solution isn't what I am looking for. My main requirements are that the effect is impromptu (so no gaffs allowed) and that I handle the cards as little as possible (although maybe I will follow Mr Chadwick's suggestion and drop that one and experiment with me dealing.)

So, who has the best impromptu? Thomas Baxter's Brrr! is one of the best but we are not allowed to vote for that. OP Spread by Patrick Redford I liked. Aaron Enyeart gave us two good solutions, Path of the Sherpa and Impromptu version of LA Open.
My vote goes to the first, Path of the Sherpa, because it is impromptu, simple and is more like my conception of what an Open Prediction looks like.

DW
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
So that entity does not have to repeat himself:

We are getting down to the wire and MANY people who bought this have not voted.

Please do! I know it is a difficult choice to make, but this is an historical event that you should allow yourself to be a part of.

DT3
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Thanks Don Theo!

And thank you to Doctor Whoston for his vote and for taking the time to comment.

The votes: 30 recorded.

1 vote for Solution #1 -- Fate by Mick Ayres. (Voted by Snape)

5 votes for Solution #20 -- Path of a Sherpa, by Aaron Enyeart. (Voted by Muse; Mick Ayres; Cardzilla; Vinnymac; Doctor Whoston)

3 votes for Solution #21 -- Impromptu L.A. Open, by Aaron Enyeart (Voted by Don Theo; Prototype; Turk)

4 days left to Vote!!!!

- entity
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
I've had so much fun with this.

Johnny's Dilemma is lovely to perform and one I’ll keep using when the conditions are right. Open Secret is fascinating and really got my noggin working, one I want to explore more. Brrr! I’ve been using a lot to great effect.

My vote goes to Solution #44 -- Advantageous, by Patrick Redford. This vote is based entirely on the sheer cheeky joy I get when performing this. Thanks Mr Redford sir.

And huge thanks Tom for your sterling sterling work.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Hurrah! Thanks, Stuart. Yes, Patrick is a cheeky son-of-a-gun. With your vote for his Solution #44, Advantageous, we have:

The votes: 31 recorded.

5 votes for Solution #20 -- Path of a Sherpa, by Aaron Enyeart. (Voted by Muse; Mick Ayres; Cardzilla; Vinnymac; Doctor Whoston)

4 votes for Solution #44 -- Adventageous, by Patrick Redford (Voted by will4gzus; Merlin 1979; Pier Luca; StuartNolan)

Counting down... Only 3 1/2 days left to vote.

- entity
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Joshua's Dilemma:
My favorite entry in the book is one that combines a clean and direct method, a compelling and theatrically powerful presentation, and well-conceived, well-argued, and well-written explanations for why everything in the routine is as it is: Hector Chadwick's "Johnny's Dilemma." However, that presents a potentially inconvenient bit of realpolitik: Hector cast the (so far) lone vote for my own entry a scant few days ago, so my voting for him could be construed by some as merely returning the favor, sucking up, or otherwise trying to get in the good graces of a somewhat celebrated and mysterious figure. Worse, given that we're down to the last few days of voting and Hector currently enjoys a slim lead, some might even speculate as to whether Hector and I are in cahoots, my vote having been swayed, bribed, or bought in an Illinois-senate-seat-like manner to better his chances of bringing home the bacon. Hence I'm in the awkward position of having to weigh my genuine preference against the possible perception of it by some members here, and the potential future ramifications thereof.

Joshua's Solution:
Sod 'em. My vote goes to Hector and Johnny.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quinn: Unless given reason not to, we will accept peoples' comments (and votes) at face value. You've always appeared to be a stand-up guy to me. Thanks for your support for this project, and for taking the time to vote.

With your vote for Hector Chadwick's Solution #15, Johnny's Dilemma, we have:

The votes: 32 recorded.

8 votes for Solution #15 -- Johnny's Dilemma, by Hector Chadwick (Voted by Nick Wallace; Andreas Michaelides; Mark Nichols; Miikka Pakarinen; Seth Cauthorne; Hiro Okada; MiketheMagicDude; Quinn)

4 votes for Solution #44 -- Adventageous, by Patrick Redford (Voted by will4gzus; Merlin 1979; Pier Luca; StuartNolan)

Still a couple of days left... Vote!!!

- entity
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
I've yet to vote....but, I struggle. I love Chadwick's Johnny's Dilemma. But - entity specified the submissions should be original. Chadwick himself admits his idea has been invented by others. The deck has been available to purchase for (I think) several years. But as others say, there is valuable information in the essay.
Well, that's my dillemma....
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
El Mystico: Go with what feels best for you.

I've just received an email vote from jcartoon, a registered buyer, whose love of effects using un-gaffed, unstacked decks of cards had him torn between Solution #46, Patrick Redfords Standing Prediction; and Solution #49 by Dominic Twose -- The Truly Fantastic Open Prediction.

In the end, Jon chose to vote for Patrick's Solution #46. With that, we have...

The votes: 33 recorded.

8 votes for Solution #15 -- Johnny's Dilemma, by Hector Chadwick (Voted by Nick Wallace; Andreas Michaelides; Mark Nichols; Miikka Pakarinen; Seth Cauthorne; Hiro Okada; MiketheMagicDude; Quinn)

1 vote for Solution #46 -- Standing Prediction, by Patrick Redford (Voted by jcartoon)

3 days left!!! Please Vote!!

- entity
kevin carmean
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of kevin carmean
Enjoyed very much keeping up with this thread and everyone's thoughts. Great job Entity in putting this together.
Lots of great thinking going on.
Christian, great video presentation! Thank you and Kat for taking the time to put these videos together.
A tough choice but I will have to go with #2 -- Unanimis by Mick Ayres.
Great job Mick!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Thanks for your vote, Kevin. Happy that The Open Prediction Project was useful to you. With your vote for Mick's Unanimis, we have:

The votes: 34 recorded.

5 votes for Solution #2 -- Unanimis by Mick Ayres. (Voted by Iain Dunford; Evan Shuster; Christian (of Christian and Katalina); Tom G.; Kevin Carmean)

1 vote for Solution #46 -- Standing Prediction, by Patrick Redford (Voted by jcartoon)

Only 2 1/2 days left to vote!!!

- entity
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Open Prediction (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..22~23~24~25~26~27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL