We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rocky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
Here's a youtube video of me working with the Judy Mouse. I probably won't leave it up very long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4MFCCNVoL0
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
The movement of the mouse is nice. Couldn't hear anything you said, though, since I guess you didn't have a mic on. I loved how you dumped him into the fez at the end, then plopped it on your head ! Very funny....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
Thanks for that, very nice. And quite convincing. I can see why you barely use the raccoon anymore!
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Yeah, I didn't have a mic on that night. Actually, I didn't even plan on being recorded. But watching the recording of my performance was really helpful. I need to smile more! Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Bev is one of our gems in the KC area.

Along with traditional spring puppets, one can find wonderful additions in the mouse/rat type "toys" for cats.

My nearly normal wife, has to ask me occasionally, which toys are mine and which are for Hannah the nearly normal cat.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Perry D Winkle - that was a nice little vid of Judy. Thanks for sharing.

One of the 1st ever props I ever purchased was a spring rabbit. I got it about 30 years ago and it was made so well I myself though it was a real rabbit. I was only a kid though and did not know of any of the moves and how to manipulate the thing and eventually it wore out.

Over the years the raccoon became available and then did David Williamson and his crafty hystirecal routine and it just became over popular so I never got one. also never thought I'd be able to manipulate one.

I started looking at Judy but as you mentioned there was nothing on her except for a little black and white illustration in magic shop catalogues. Not enough to tickle my fancy.

Eventually I met up with Quentin Reynolds and he handheld me through the many phazes of his '5 minute with a pocket handkerchief' routine and since then I have never looked back and I love it.

It has become a stable routine in all my shows for all ages and it is loveable, cute, hectic, funny, magical, presentable and lots more.

If any one is thinking about adding a critter that moves, I would highly recommend his CD.

Dani
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
You can often find cat toys in pet shops that you can animate like Judy (it's also fun to do that actually in the pet shop and pretend one of their hamsters has escaped).
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
515 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I had a Rocky "knock-off" that I purchased years ago. It looked bad. It operated worse. It was stiff, unnatural-looking and - compared to "Rocky" - was difficult to manipulate convincingly. It's collected dust now for about four years.
Earlier this week, I bought an official Rocky. I should've bought one years ago! The thing is a dream to operate. The basic moves were easy to learn right away and it's very easy to view the thing as authentic and separate from myself or my control. I've taken pieces of routines I've seen used in sales demonstrations and have adapted them to fit my personal style. I've already added to them and, like my other magic, I perform Rocky in front of a mirror. It's been less than a week and I've taken Rocky with me to a couple of public places just to see how 'real' it appears to others. Well, it makes kids laugh and women squeal and men frown and certainly gets the attention that I would expect if I had a live animal in my hands/arms. This Sunday, I'm taking it to church. That should be a riot.

My advice: Do NOT skimp on this particular item. Do not buy a cheaper knock-off. You will not be impressed and your performance will suffer for it. Get a real Rocky and spend some time in the mirror. It won't take long at all to realize what types of movements make it realistic and which ones make it look like a puppet.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi,

I know this is an old topic. But just found the YouTube clip for Judy and wanted to leave a comment... Sadly you can't do that on YouTube.

I'd never seen a performance of the mouse before, and was extremely impressed! Really get sucked in to it being alive.

So my question is, are these mice still available and where can you purchase decent training material?

Thanks again for posting the vid. Very cool!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
Dan Garrett does a lot of work with the mouse, I think he's written a book about it.
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Thanks, Greg. I have not written a book on the mouse (other than in my lecture notes and in the instructions I have written for it), but my handling is on two of my DVD's. A close-up workers version on my "CloseUp Connivery DVD" and a kidshow version on my KidShow Konnivery DVD. Rocky is manufactured by Magic Masters and if you go for one of the cheaper knock-offs, you will probably be disappointed, as shown in many of the posts above. Judy the Mouse is also manufactured by Magic Masters. The magic comes in the manipulation of the mouse. I developed a method of manipulating the mouse on my thumb, as opposed to the classic 'finger puppet' moves. Perry Winkle uses a watered-down version of my handling on the YouTube video he posted. But it gets the job done.
I just finished a 3-week lecture tour of England and Scotland, where I lectured and performed my 'dead rat manipulation' methods in the UK. I took about 100 mice with me, but sold out of them 2/3 into the tour.
As I've stated other places in this forum, anyone can received a free email catalog (with ordering info) from me simply by requesting. Requests must be sent to dangarrett@aol.com. Requests made in this forum will not be honored. Just email me, it's simple.
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rocky (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL