We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ben Stein interviewed on BNN (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..14~15~16 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Explain how the eye evolved Payne. Please.

Same arguements different day LOL. Funny how the arguements never seem to "evolve" though isn't it?

I love to see religion on both sides of the arguement here argued. Payne has his religion. Make no mistake Payne it is a religion with you. The belief that you believe nothing SO vehemently is really quite remarkable to behold.

At least those who profess religion as a belief are honest about it.

I think both sides are on shaky ground. I don't personally think the Darwiniacs believe evolution to be a connundrum, quite the opposite. They explain away anything you can imagine with another story to fill in the gaps. Much like the religions I might add LOL.

Though an interesting debate at times, it is quite stalled. Payne will never change his religion and his lack of belief and neither will anyone on the other side. Nobody will ever know for sure, but everyone will claim to have the answers. Pretty ironic really.

I vote for the last Tuesday explination really. But I don't claim to know for a fact this is true.

Seems a nice compromise though.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-20 23:37, Dannydoyle wrote:
Explain how the eye evolved Payne. Please.
[/quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI_oGu-2clE


Quote:
I love to see religion on both sides of the arguement here argued. Payne has his religion. Make no mistake Payne it is a religion with you. The belief that you believe nothing SO vehemently is really quite remarkable to behold.


re·li·gion

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

sci·ence

1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws:

Nope, not a Religion as I don't believe in any supernatural entities. But thanks for playing.


Quote:
At least those who profess religion as a belief are honest about it.


Not always

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind

Quote:
I think both sides are on shaky ground. I don't personally think the Darwiniacs believe evolution to be a connundrum, quite the opposite. They explain away anything you can imagine with another story to fill in the gaps. Much like the religions I might add LOL.


Your Nobel Prize awaits if you can prove this hypothesis. Good luck with that

Quote:
Though an interesting debate at times, it is quite stalled. Payne will never change his religion and his lack of belief and neither will anyone on the other side. Nobody will ever know for sure, but everyone will claim to have the answers. Pretty ironic really.


I don't need to change my belief as it is the correct one Smile We have all the fossils and DNA evidence so we win!

Quote:
I vote for the last Tuesday explination really. But I don't claim to know for a fact this is true.


This is heresie as we all know it was last Wednesday not Tuesday that the world was created.

Seems a nice compromise though.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2008-09-20 22:40, Payne wrote:

The fundamentals of evolutionary theory have been proven beyond any reasonable doubt.



Payne, you have just lost whatever credibility you may have had. This is "Robert W. Funk bad".
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Naw, come on now if you say it enough people start to believe it. Look at Al Gore LOL. (Thought I could bring up another pointless debate LOL. At least the Darwiniacs don't want to tax me for their belief though so it is a bit more tolerable LOL) Ok now debate global warming, followed by abortion, and we can all end up with a debate on republicans vs democrats!


GO!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 00:02, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-20 22:40, Payne wrote:

The fundamentals of evolutionary theory have been proven beyond any reasonable doubt.



Payne, you have just lost whatever credibility you may have had. This is "Robert W. Funk bad".


So prove me wrong. What evidence do you have to support that evolution has not been proven beyond a reasonable doubt? It is the most widely accepted explanation by serious scientists as to how life developed on this planet. So far no viable alternative theory has been put forward that fits with the evidence we have.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 01:27, Payne wrote:
It is the most widely accepted explanation by serious scientists as to how life developed on this planet.


Serious scientists are...uh...scientists. They are restricted by their discipline.

Quote:
So far no viable alternative theory has been put forward that fits with the evidence we have.


You left out a word here. No "scientifically" viable alternative theory....

The funny thing about this debate is that I find evolutionary theory convincing and beautiful, but I find "science" arrogant, pretentious, and limited. So I find myself debating things I actually believe.

Strange.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Blind adherance to things Payne is how YOU are LOL. It is funny to watch you fall apart though.

Keep going I find it entertaining. Right or wrong, man you lose credability with every post.

Even science strays away from posting absoluts.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 04:03, stoneunhinged wrote:

. . . but I find "science" arrogant, pretentious, and limited.



Funny, I say the exact same things about philosophers Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 08:36, Dannydoyle wrote:
Blind adherance to things Payne is how YOU are LOL. It is funny to watch you fall apart though.


I don't appear to be the one falling apart here. You've yet to present a single compelling argument to discount the acceptance of the theory of evolution.

Nice case of projection there though.

Also I do not have a "Blind Adherence" to the theory of evolution. If someday, someone postulates a better explanation that fits with the known or yet to be known facts then I'll have to abandon my old beliefs in favour of the new. That's how science works. Unlike other belief systems who blindly adhere to ancient and outdated dogma irregardless of what new discoveries might have been made since their theory was postulated.

Quote:
Keep going I find it entertaining. Right or wrong, man you lose credability with every post.


Funny I'm not the one who seems to have lost credibility here. You've yet to put forth a single valid argument to show my position to be the one lacking in credibility.

Quote:
Even science strays away from posting absoluts.


Which is why I've never stated that evolution is absolutely true. It is the best explanation we have and has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I've never once stated that it is absolutely true as science (apart from mathematics) does not work in absolutes.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 13:38, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 04:03, stoneunhinged wrote:

. . . but I find "science" arrogant, pretentious, and limited.



Funny, I say the exact same things about philosophers Smile


I don't think science or philosophy are arrogant or pretentious. I do however think some men of science, some philosophers, some clergymen, many professors, most politicians, and all comic book store clerks arrogant & pretentious beyond the pale of reason or pay grade.
POOF!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 13:38, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 04:03, stoneunhinged wrote:

. . . but I find "science" arrogant, pretentious, and limited.



Funny, I say the exact same things about philosophers Smile


LOL!

Hey Kregg, what do comic book store clerks have to say about Ben Stein?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 14:44, stoneunhinged wrote:

. . . what do comic book store clerks have to say about Ben Stein?



"Intelligent Design? Worst Theory Ever!"
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
What ever do you mean? Comic books and graphic novels are intelligent design at its best. Smile
POOF!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Payne you are funny to watch I will give you that.

You have a "theory" which is your BEST GUESS and you look down upon others. Man you are definatly religious man. Way to go.

As long as you tout science so highly let me help you. Most of the evolution crowd give the nonsensical answer of "Einstein" and his "Theory" and compare it to evolution.

Well when ol Al also offered a series of empirical tests that would prove it false. That was what made it a "scientific theory" and not, say, "an astrological profile." If light had not appeared to bend away from the Sun during the 1919 solar eclipse or if his equasions could not account for Mercury's orbit around the Sun, Einstein would have abandoned the theory. In the end , of course, his theory accounted for both phenemena and has been repeatedly retested and proved true.

By contrast, Darwin imagined a mechanism that would account for how life in its infinite variety might have arisen and offered a nondisprovable standard to test its theory. The great philosopher of science Karl Popper said any theory that cannot conceivably be refuted is not science. The very fact that it is nondisprovable is an "Immunizing stratagem", distinguishing pseudoscience from real science. Either there is no evidence that could possibly disprove Darwin's theory of evolution-or it has been dissproved for half a century.

Ask yourself this question. If this is the standard of proof which you are happy with, and if in fact this constitutes hard science, then why in the world do you say God does not exist? As I said, organized religion has met the EXACT SAME standard of proof Darwin and his cult have. So why the difference?

The only difference is your need to deny God and His existance.

Notice how I am not a member of the flat earth society? Notice how all I have given are rational arguements, now lets see you post something that is not just some story about evolution and try to justify the gaps in the record. Well the gaps really ARE the record now arren't they?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 15:18, kregg wrote:
What ever do you mean? Comic books and graphic novels are intelligent design at its best. Smile


Someone obviously doesn't watch the Simpson's Smile

It was a "popular culture" reference to that programs Comic Book Guy.

Am I going to have to start putting footnotes on my posts?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh and let me address for just a second the idiotic statement "we have fossils we win". Ok let's use that theory and take it to the logical conclusion. You like science and logic so much Payne.

Since this is the cornerstone of your arguement, "we have fossils and we win" then when your fossils are proved to be an outright haox, you then by extension lose, and lose badly.

See it is not about winning or about losing. It is simply about trying to get by in life.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sorry to interupt your hate spewing biggotry Payne. Usually it is easier to watch you just tire yourself and everyone else out with your blather LOL. Go on I won't bother you any more I was just having fun.

Turns out that just this morning they proved God and Evolution both exist. Sorry to tell each side LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 15:37, Dannydoyle wrote:

By contrast, Darwin imagined a mechanism that would account for how life in its infinite variety might have arisen and offered a nondisprovable standard to test its theory. The great philosopher of science Karl Popper said any theory that cannot conceivably be refuted is not science. The very fact that it is nondisprovable is an "Immunizing stratagem", distinguishing pseudoscience from real science. Either there is no evidence that could possibly disprove Darwin's theory of evolution-or it has been dissproved for half a century.



Where do you come up with this stuff? Evolution is just as falsifiable as any of Einsteins Theories. All it would take is a single fossil out of place in the geological column to prove evolution wrong.

Some more on this topic here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability#Evolution

Creationism on the other hand is not falsifiable as any inconsistencies are just magically explained away as "God did it". Thus making it a pseudo science


Quote:
Ask yourself this question. If this is the standard of proof which you are happy with, and if in fact this constitutes hard science, then why in the world do you say God does not exist? As I said, organized religion has met the EXACT SAME standard of proof Darwin and his cult have. So why the difference?


Simply because I have yet to be presented with any compelling physical evidence for the existence of the supernatural. Evolution has mountains of physical evidence to support its claims. Fossils, DNA, observable specialization etc.
God? Not a jot of evidence. Just a lot of hearsay and specultion. No mechanism has ever been put forth by its supporters as to how the whole god thing would actually work.
I'd rather be true to myself and say "I don't know how the universe started. but we're looking into it" than to be satisfied with the intellectually lazy argument of "God did it"

Quote:
The only difference is your need to deny God and His existance.


I don't need to deny its existence. It does a great job of denying it own existence by not providing any evidence for its existence.

Quote:
Notice how I am not a member of the flat earth society? Notice how all I have given are rational arguements, now lets see you post something that is not just some story about evolution and try to justify the gaps in the record. Well the gaps really ARE the record now arren't they?


Argument? You've yet to present a single argument that isn't that same old tired creationist mumbo jumbo that has been shown false time and time again. You guys had your big chance at the Dover Trial but the evolution proponants pretty much mopped the floor with the creationist\intelligent design crowd as they simply could produce no evidence to support their claims.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Whatever happened to the 'smiley face eating popcorn' smiley?

I'd love to type one in about here, but can't seem to find the right code on offer any longer in the list of smileys available at the Café.

:(
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-21 15:43, Dannydoyle wrote:

Turns out that just this morning they proved God and Evolution both exist. Sorry to tell each side LOL.



Wow I missed that in the papers. Which God did they find? I hope it's Zeus.

Hey, I'm just playing too. don't take it so seriously.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ben Stein interviewed on BNN (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL