We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ben Stein interviewed on BNN (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Ben Stein, financial analyst, political pundit, and actor / movie maker, was interviewed on BNN's show SqueezePlay earlier today. BNN is the Business News Network t.v. station in Canada. The interview is archived on its website here:

http://watch.bnn.ca/squeezeplay/june-200......lip61216

This might be of interest to some of you. I'm really not looking to start any debate, just wanted to make you aware of the interview.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Oh yah. You're not trying to start something. Right. Why not post a link to Al Gore?

I'm pulling the pin off this hand grenade, and setting it on the edge of the table. I don't plan to blow anything up.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I know better than to even bother listening.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That was fun - thanks.

The limits of Darwinian theory etc are the way it probably needs to be taught anyway - including the limits of presuming that there are any extraordinary processes - especially external "intelligence" involved in the world.

That and a little basic grounding in philosophy could finish all "supernatural" approaches to looking at the material world for academic purposes and leave the way clear to the experimentalists to build models based upon what can be measured and quit fussing or hedging over matters of accustomed belief.

It may take some a while but in time I predict even the most ardent anthropencentrist will come to accept the True shape of existence as the will of a giant squidlike creature who's patient enough to dream about inferior creatures like us so we can enjoy the illusion of free will.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'm with Jonathan. That the debate even takes place is an indictment of modern science education.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-06-19 22:00, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
That was fun - thanks.

The limits of Darwinian theory etc are the way it probably needs to be taught anyway - including the limits of presuming that there are any extraordinary processes - especially external "intelligence" involved in the world.

That and a little basic grounding in philosophy could finish all "supernatural" approaches to looking at the material world for academic purposes and leave the way clear to the experimentalists to build models based upon what can be measured and quit fussing or hedging over matters of accustomed belief.

It may take some a while but in time I predict even the most ardent anthropencentrist will come to accept the True shape of existence as the will of a giant squidlike creature who's patient enough to dream about inferior creatures like us so we can enjoy the illusion of free will.


Oh, why don't you just come out and say it! "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Ben who?
Yes, I seem to recall hearing that name. Didn't he make a movie of some sort that no one saw and fewer still paid any attention to?

The funny thing is that this little piece of propaganda made around seven and a half million dollars. Which is half the amount of money Paul Allen has spent on a new 8 part mini series on evolution that will air on PBS this fall http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/

It will also be seen by far more people than Mr. Stein's dismal flop of a movie,
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 11:37, Payne wrote:
Ben who?
Yes, I seem to recall hearing that name. Didn't he make a movie of some sort that no one saw and fewer still paid any attention to?

The funny thing is that this little piece of propaganda made around seven and a half million dollars. Which is half the amount of money Paul Allen has spent on a new 8 part mini series on evolution that will air on PBS this fall http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/

It will also be seen by far more people than Mr. Stein's dismal flop of a movie,


You crack me up with your agenda dude. You seem to equate money spent with being right LOL.

You could also be describing Al Gore's movie.

I am confused here why you are so adamant here. In the first 2 minutes Ben simply states that there is "some design, some accident/evolution. He is not saying that anyone is wrong, heck he is simply asking for debate.

Wow. It you misrepresent peoples positions pretty badly. He asks for debate, why not let it happen in a civil tone?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
This topic is so last April ... Smile
POOF!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just wonder what the over/under is on the thread being deleated because people can't be civil LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Beuler?...Beuler?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 11:37, Payne wrote:
Ben who?
Yes, I seem to recall hearing that name. Didn't he make a movie of some sort that no one saw and fewer still paid any attention to?

The funny thing is that this little piece of propaganda made around seven and a half million dollars. Which is half the amount of money Paul Allen has spent on a new 8 part mini series on evolution that will air on PBS this fall http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/

It will also be seen by far more people than Mr. Stein's dismal flop of a movie,


Ah, legitimacy by popular acclaim. I guess Britney Spears is a tremendous musician and the best chefs in the world work at McDonalds.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 12:10, Dannydoyle wrote:
He asks for debate, why not let it happen in a civil tone?



Ummm...good luck with that, Danny.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 13:21, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 12:10, Dannydoyle wrote:
He asks for debate, why not let it happen in a civil tone?



Ummm...good luck with that, Danny.


Guess I do have to remove my head from there don't I? Sorry your right LOL. Idiotic concept at best on my part. My bad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 12:10, Dannydoyle wrote:

You crack me up with your agenda dude. You seem to equate money spent with being right LOL.

You could also be describing Al Gore's movie.



Which made nearly three times what Stiens little flicker made. It also won a Academy Award and brought the topic of Global Warming to the forefront for discussion and debate.

Expelled barely broke into the publics awareness and I'm sure the average person never even heard of the film.

Quote:

I am confused here why you are so adamant here. In the first 2 minutes Ben simply states that there is "some design, some accident/evolution. He is not saying that anyone is wrong, heck he is simply asking for debate.



The debate is over. It occured at the Dover Trial. ID lost as it had zero evidence to support it's claims. Even the much touted Discovery Institute ran away with its tail between its legs.

Quote:

Wow. It you misrepresent peoples positions pretty badly. He asks for debate, why not let it happen in a civil tone?




Because he was far from civil in his debate as he invoked Godwin's law.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Ding, ding.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 13:21, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Ah, legitimacy by popular acclaim. I guess Britney Spears is a tremendous musician and the best chefs in the world work at McDonalds.



I'm not making any claim to legitimacy here nor an argument from authority. Not saying that Mr. Stein is wrong or the other side is right (even though they are Smile )

I was just making the statement that Expelled was a huge flop and did nothing to advance the debate of ID in the public arena. It pretty much just preached to the choir and remained under the radar for nearly everyone else.

Had they had some real evidence to support their claims then maybe a legitimate news agency might have picked up on the stories of scientists being persecuted. But since they never provided substantiated evidence to support their claims the media gave this film and its subject matter a big yawn.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Same arguements different day.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 13:41, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 12:10, Dannydoyle wrote:

You crack me up with your agenda dude. You seem to equate money spent with being right LOL.

You could also be describing Al Gore's movie.



Which made nearly three times what Stiens little flicker made. It also won a Academy Award and brought the topic of Global Warming to the forefront for discussion and debate.




Global Warming was being discussed and debated as a front-row issue well before Gore's movie came up. Many aspects of that movie have also been disavowed by people ON GORE'S SIDE, some of whom he cites/quotes. But I guess for people who think that Michael Moore make documentaries, it's all good.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20658 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why let the facts get in the way of a good agenda?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ben Stein interviewed on BNN (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL