The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Medical reasons for not hypnotising someone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

espmagic
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of espmagic
This may have been covered in many places before, but I was wondering if there are commonly-found medical reasons for not wanting to hypnotize someone? Say, for example, the hypnosis could affect them negatively? And, something that isn't visually recognized?

I met a woman who desperately wants to be hyp'd, but then she says that she's bi-polar, and is it still ok to hyp her? Well, I cannot answer her because I do not know much about the issue.

Thoughts?

Lee
"Let it be simple and pure, because miracles are simple and pure." - Mind2Mind.ca
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6123 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
What makes you think hypnotizing her will help? And why is she desparate to be hypnotized?

Hypnosis by itself won't help anyone with serious disorders.

Personally I wouldn't touch anyone with psychiatric disorders. You don't have the training plus you don't want the grief.

In a therapy situation the goal should never be to hypnotize someone it should be to solve the problem. Hypnosis by itself will not solve much of anything.Its a tool not a cure all.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Now, I understand that...she's wants to quit smoking, and I'm curious is "psychiatric disorders" can be affected/brought about through the use of hypnosis for another, different function.

Imagine getting 20 volunteers up on stage for your show...can any of them be harmed by hypnotising them, especially if they have pre-existing conditions?

Lee
"Let it be simple and pure, because miracles are simple and pure." - Mind2Mind.ca
TheTrance-Master
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of TheTrance-Master
You might want to think about getting a Dr.'s note of authorization from whomever it was that dignosed her as bipolar. No dr. auth. note nor letter, no session.
I always ask those whom might be on medication for physical or mental health to refrain from coming into my show.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6123 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Deep relaxation may help them. But not without a doctors refferal.

The protection is for you probably more than them.

Personally I wouldn't.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19526 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Can of worms. BIG can of worms.

The fact that you have to ask the question should give you your answer. I don't want that to sound mean, but it is indeed the truth.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Disclaimers: This is annectodal advice, don't take it as legal or binding or anything else. I work as a hypnot"therapist" though we don't use that term in my state, not a stage hypnotist, but I would say the same cavaets apply.

Generally speaking, I will not work with someone who is Bipolar, schizzofrenic or psychotic. Reason being, they are already in "trance" when they have their symptoms. I live with someone who is bipolar schizzofrenic and when the symptoms are not under control, it mirrors a really accute trance, but one that no one is control of.

Imagine someone in trance, and they hear someone say "Wow it's hot. Feels like we're going to burn up!" Now, amplifiy all the bad aspects of that, and think like a 4 year old might think if they heard something like that.... and you get an idea of where and how it could go.

Have I worked with folks who have been diagnosed and treated for these issues? YES, but not FOR those issues and only with written permission from their doctor.

Also add in that their may be voices besides yours they are hearing. Now, take someone for whom hallucinations of a vivid, often frightening nature have occurred, and induce a hallucination within them. You get the idea.

In stage hypnosis, I would be cautions of neck, back or heart issues- the latter ONLY because if they have an issue while on stage with you, even though it has zero to do with "hypnosis", guess who's going to be pointed at.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
Always get a referral from a DR. before commensing with Hypnosis if someone has an issue like that.

The referral helps in a few areas the biggest is that it keeps you from being sued for medical neglegence if something goes wrong.

Also you would want to really document everything that happened in session and you would need to be sure that you are only working on the smoking issue.

I personally am very wary about taking on any client with a documented mental illness. You never know what will come out in session that could help or hinder their recovery from their illness.
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
Hypnosis will not creat Mental Illness however there are rare cases where it can create issue and make it worse.

I read about a man who was regressed to childhood in the early 80's and false memories created in a state of deep hypnosis caused him to become depressed.

It is an area that I find fascinating but that I myself would prefer to stay away from.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4171 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hi Lee, I would definitely go with it, BUT definitely ask her to talk to her doctor first.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
AlexVante
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of AlexVante
It has not yet been proven that hypnosis has caused any mental/physical side effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Medical reasons for not hypnotising someone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL