The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Does anyone know this 'Killer' trick with two decks ?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sander
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Sander
Many years ago I bought this great trick with two decks, a red and a blue one.
Anyone knows the name or inventor of this beautiful effect?

2 Decks are shown, one is chosen and about 10 cards are selected from it by several spectators. The chosen cards return face-up in the deck. Now this deck is placed face down next to the other face down deck.

Simultaneously the magician turns over the top 2 cards from the decks and places them next on the table, these cards are different. This goes with the next cards and so on. But, when the magician comes to a chosen card (those are all face up), the exact same card appears also at the other deck! So all the cards are different except the chosen cards.

I hope I explained clearly enough. Smile
I have never seen anyone perform this great trick, but there must be more magicians who know this. What is the name of this trick that really kills, and who is the inventor??

Many thanks...
hcs
View Profile
Elite user
Germany, Magdeburg
450 Posts

Profile of hcs
The principle is very old.
Take a look in a mirror and you will see the answer.
Melencolia I - Magic Squares for the Mental Entertainer * Smart Methods for 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 Magic Squares * 180 A4-pages * version 3.51
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Sander,

Are you describing that each of the face up cards will have a match at its same position? Or are you describing that at least one of the 10 will have a match at its respective position?

BTW, you've got me thinking on this. My first impression was an implementation (albeit a modification) of the methodology ultilized in Aldo Colombini's "Jumbo Coincidence" effect. As I say,...you've got me thinking.

Mike

P.S. Welcome to both you and hcs here at The Magic Café. It is nice to see some fresh new faces.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Sander
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Sander
@ hcs
Well I know the answer, I perform this myself! I just wondered who else does it.

@ Turk
Thank You.
Yes, Each chosen card is matching, that's the beauty of this effect!
I've seen Aldo's Jumbo Coincedence here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWZmoAE4ejk&feature=related
and you are probably right, except Aldo only uses small packs and only one chosen card. In my opinion it is stronger with more chosen cards (about ten). Also, at the end he shows that the 2 packs are in the same order, but I think he should better not do that because it more or less gives away the secret.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
The best application of this principle that I've seen is Juan Tamariz's effect Total Coincidence. Juan has taken this idea and expanded it into a routine with effects that build to a startling climax.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The oldest trick (in my knowledge) of this kind of coincidence is Roy Scott's 'Clannish' described in May 1957 issue of "Pentagram".

Later in August 1963 issue of "New Tops", Edward Marlo decribed 'Staggered Power of Thought' in which the same principle was used. But Scott version is better in effect and also in method. I suppose Juan Tamariz's version was influenced by Scott's version.

Hideo Kato
balic2003
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of balic2003
Juan Tamariz's effect is brilliant and baffled me badly when I first saw it!!!
illusionist13
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of illusionist13
Hmmm..so is there a name to this trick? is this possible with an ungimmicked deck(s)? a setup maybe?
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
This sounds like an application of the effect by Eddie Joseph known as "Bombay". It has been around a long time. You will find it here:

magicgettogether.com

It is an amazing principle and very few know it. Now the real "kicker"..it sells for $5.00. It is in manuscript form and comes with 7 routines, although once you learn the principle there are many other applications.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
This thread is a perfect example of doing your research, and realising that - again - what seems "new" really isn't. Smile

Best,
Vlad
Pierre Emmanuel
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pierre Emmanuel
I'm not sure it's cllose to Bombay, as in bombay, you must force a card, in a special way, which does not seem to be the case in what he describes.

Cheers,
Pierre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Does anyone know this 'Killer' trick with two decks ?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL