We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Air travel with hard figures (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
This was touched on a couple of years ago, but there are a lot of new posters since then, so I'd like to re-open the discussion. I think the consensus is that when traveling with hard figures, one checks the body in a suitcase or figure case and carries the head onto the plane.

My questions are these: how do you pack the heads, and in what? Backpack? Small suitcase? Do you call this your "personal item?" What happens when you pass through security? Have the recent new airline surcharges for having more than one suitcase affected how you travel/pack?

[For my clothing (when not traveling with figures) I now carry everything on with me, even on longer trips. (See Doug Dyment's great web site onebag.com for more info.)]

I'm eager to hear what everyone's doing these days.

Thanks.

Bob
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Bob,
For carry on, I've got a Porter Case II - which has been mentioned on other threads here at the Café. In that I pack a soft figure, 2 face masks, my iPod/Virtual Soundman and a table top with a mic stand adaptor. I also throw in medications and an emergency change of clothes in case checked baggage doesn't show up. If there is room, I carry my camcorder. I can do 45 minutes with that case. My personal item is my laptop.

For longer trips I usally check two bags - one - a Lite Flight Cabbage Case, which contains a collapsing mic stand for my table top, (one venue did not have two mic stands, so now I carry one!) a show banner, an extra soft puppet, an Axtell Drawing Board and costuming. The other, my suitcase. Shorter trips get the clothing packaged in the Cabbage Case.

I'm hoping to just check the Cabbage Case for my next extended trip. I'm currently debating if I want to take a hard figure with me for a September trip. My gut feeling is to leave him at home and try to travel light!

BTW - Thanks for the link to One Bag - I hadn't seen that site before. Great Info!
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I wrap the hard figure head with 2 or 3 thick towels and put it in my backpack. The body, I check it in inside the case.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Air travel with hard figures (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL