The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The moment of TRUTH (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mysticated
View Profile
New user
Texas
16 Posts

Profile of Mysticated
In your opinion, when do you feel that one could call him or herself a magician and not just someone who knows a few tricks and sleight of hand moves? Does one have to be a paid performer to be a magician? Does he have to contribute great new things like Dai Vernon? Or does he qualify as someone who loves magic as an art form and enjoys learning the tricks and routines in an effort to amaze and entertain people?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I would suggest that your quest not be as a magician, heck anybody can call themselves that; but rather when can you call yourself an entertainer?

Anyone can do tricks, as the saying goes, "Tricks are best left to dogs and ladies of the evening!" An entertainer will create a mood/atmosphere that engulfs that which they are presenting. A trickster will only present a challenge to the audience.

Remember, if we could really do this "stuff" there would be no need for all the magic manufacturers out there!

You will know when you have arrived by the reaction that you get from your audiences. I have always felt that the open mouth, stunned expression was always a good register for feedback.

Make any sense? Break a leg!

Cheers!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Great post Stanyon.

The biggest mistake made by beginners is thinking magic is all about tricks. The true magic is entertaining.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The moment of TRUTH (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL