The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Are you worried about ruining your packet tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lifeisgreat
View Profile
New user
NY - USA
28 Posts

Profile of lifeisgreat
Hi Again,

I'm wondering if any of you have the same problem I have, that is not going out and performing your packet tricks for the public for fear that the cards will get dirty, bent, warped, etc.

I have quite a few packet tricks that I love to do, but only ever do them at home for my wife or family. I never take them out with me because I don't want them to get ruined. Is this a problem that only I suffer from or do any of you also feel them same?

Thanks!
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
I personally feel no worse about ruining packet effect than I do about ruining a new deck of cards. It happens over time and if the effect is that good you reinvest.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
There are only two solutions.

1. Use them with clean hands and with much care.
2. Buy new ones when they are ruined.

Third solution is "Don't worry it".

Hideo Kato
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of dobber
We all like to keep our gear looking good, but IMHO you're being a little overprotective if you are afraid to perform outside your inner circle for fear of damaging your cards.

I bought a set of replacement cards for Skinner's Ultimate Monte and for some reason within minutes after taking them out they looked like s#%^. What I decided to do was to put them in one of my my best little business card wallets and proudly take them out...dirt, oil and all while launching into a story about how I obtained these very cards from a monte dealer in NYC "years ago", etc.

Instead of agonizing about how bad my cards looked, I decided to just run with it, and I am happy I did.

Hope that helped.
Best regards, Rob
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I use a crushed card box to carry some packet effects. I also leave the plastic on the card box and place my Ultimate 3 Card Monte cards in the plastic on the outside of the case.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Get a decent packet wallet or get a card case and store them boxed.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I too have worried about it, and one thing I've done over the years is also store the packet trick in the box with another deck. Also gives you the illusion you're just grabbing some cards off the top of a deck when you do an effect when in reality you're grabbing your gaffs. You can even do a spread and hide the gaffs, and just pick them up.

I also mark my deck boxes so I know what's inside what. Imperceptible to the layperson, I can easily know which one is which.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I carry my packet tricks in an antique metal cigarette case. No need to worry about them getting damaged in transport and I tell a story about the case as a lead-in to the routine (e.g., "I won this case from a gentleman...).

Regards, Steve
lifeisgreat
View Profile
New user
NY - USA
28 Posts

Profile of lifeisgreat
Hi,

I'm able to store my packet tricks just fine, and when I do decide to take them out and perform, I use a packet wallet or just put them in the box with another deck as aleady mentioned.

For me, it's what happens during peformance that I get worried about. If the specs want to touch the cards, the weather conditions and even the condictions of my hands. One of the tricks that I don't worry about is Bikes Built for Five because the cards are made on thick stock. But most others I find I just don't take out and perfom as much as I'd like.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
I'm always concerned about the cards warping since they're more susceptible to it. However, if you have decent crowd control you shouldn't worry about anyone asking to handle the cards after you have performed the trick.

If you're concerned that a spectator might bend the card in the course of the trick (i.e., you hand her a card to hold) it helps to show them how you want it held before you hand it to them. Hopefully they'll hold it the way you showed them and not bend it or crease it. You could also simply tell them to hold out their hand and you just place the card on it.

As for the weather, if it's excessively hot or cold the cards might warp. Oh and don't do the tricks in the rain as that might ruin them. Smile

I wouldn't let the fear of them being ruined keep you from taking them out to show people other than your family. It's like buying a car and keeping it garaged all the time for fear that someone might hit you.

Sure some of your packet tricks might have special gaffs, but it won't break your bank to replace a card should it become destroyed.

Good luck,

T.J.
shortdog
View Profile
New user
Ft. Bragg
64 Posts

Profile of shortdog
I used to carry a few gaffed cards with me in my wallet. What I can into was that the soft card case that I had them in, would get a few specs of dirt in it, and the cards would get ruined. I need to get new ones badly. I just haven't gotten around to ordering them.
Its best to just use them and loose them.
What I have found out is when they are on their last legs, you can still use them. You need to find decks in similar conditions. I think it adds, showing the cards are not pristine.
-Daniel McGuinny

How do you get a magician to show you 100 tricks?
Ask him to show you one!
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
Is it just me or hasn't anyone thought of replacing the easily replaceable (normal, double-backs etc) cards from new decks and the replacing the gaffs with the home-made variety. That's where card-splitting comes in etc.
You've paid for the secret (possibly from a book (which wouldn't have included the gaffs in the first place)), the gaffs provided with the trick are just a courtesy and added value (they account for only a small percentage of the price...) so you feel you are actually getting something for your pounds/euro/dollars/yen.
MMAgicMan
View Profile
New user
Fairfax, VA
84 Posts

Profile of MMAgicMan
The Joshua Jay pro carrier case works well for keeping packet tricks in great shape. Plus you can carry a deck of cards, coin, rubber bands, etc with you as well.
Dalton Jones
Bob Tucker
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Bob Tucker
Store your packet tricks in hard plastic baseball card boxes. The boxes come in different sizes. I use the small size. They store 10 playing cards. Its the perfect solution for keeping the cards clean and straight. You can also label the outside of the clear plastic boxes. Let me know how you like them, and they are cheap , about 35 cents per box
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 09:43, Bob Tucker wrote:
Store your packet tricks in hard plastic baseball card boxes. The boxes come in different sizes. I use the small size. They store 10 playing cards. Its the perfect solution for keeping the cards clean and straight. You can also label the outside of the clear plastic boxes. Let me know how you like them, and they are cheap , about 35 cents per box

This is what I use, there are some on the market that are for "thick" baseball card that will hold about 10 cards as mentioned above. Also, you can get them with screws that hold the cases together or you can find the ones with magnets, which I use. I will try to find a link if you are interested.

As far as using them, if you don't plan on using them in performance, why buy it?
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I suppose you could worry about how you packet tricks will hold up. But it would be a shame not to use them. You just have to accept that cards ware out and replace them when they do.
Reality
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Florida
62 Posts

Profile of Reality
If you're not going to use them, why own them? Of course you could follow all the previously mentioned steps. You could also learn how to split cards and invest in one of the many books or videos that teaches how to make gaffs. It's easy really. That would work for the simpler gaffs. You could also invest in some blank cards and one of the sources that teaches how to print cards. Combine that with some photoshop skills and the possibilities are endless.

In the end, what use are you going to get out of them if you don't use them?

~Nick M.
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
If you have enough packet tricks, you could also make use of a card-clip...;-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Are you worried about ruining your packet tricks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL