The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » keeping track of tricks learned (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
hokeypokey
View Profile
New user
Chicago
71 Posts

Profile of hokeypokey
Several of the posts in this thread talk about using a database to track information. This seems like the best way to go, but even though I am computer savvy, I do not have any experience creating a database.

Does anyone have any suggestions for learning how to build a simple database for this purpose? Are there any templates or examples available for download?
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Until last year I was a professional database programmer. If we put our heads together and decide what we need in the database I'll be happy to build it and give it away to Café members. Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
That's an incredibly cool offer, Jonesy! Here's my list (and is it possible to build the database in Excel, so that it's cross-platform?):

- Name of trick
- Source (magazine, tape, book, invented by self)
- Sleights required

So far, that's all I can think of...then again, I'm a simple man with simple needs.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
hokeypokey
View Profile
New user
Chicago
71 Posts

Profile of hokeypokey
That would be fantastic! And a very generous offer!

I would also like to see:

- ability to categorize (e.g., children's show, etc.)
- props required
- notes (e.g., outline of routine, patter, etc.)
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
OK I'll come back to this thread in about a week and see what we've got. Then I'll start work.

I will build it as a separate entity so no need to worry about licenses for Access or SQL or anything, it will work without any other software.

I can't promise it will work with any operating system except Windows but I will try to ensure that it works with every version of Windows from 98 onwards.

Also I will probably make a prototype for you guys to play with before doing the real work!
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Quote:
On 2003-08-24 09:34, jonesc2ii wrote:
I can't promise it will work with any operating system except Windows but I will try to ensure that it works with every version of Windows from 98 onwards.

"Aaugh," say us Mac guys...."aaugh!" If you know Java, any chance of building an applet?
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
AAAAAAAH !
Not the "what about us mac users" again ????? Smile
Just kidding.
Jones2cii, You're awesome, thanks for your kind offer. I hope it is going well and i am looking forward to what you come up with.
I know my files are getting waaay behind too, I have quite a few more things to add there so it might be a good time to switch to a different system.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I also agree to the notebook idea. When I first started, I began to keep track in a hardback sketchbook. Everything I've learned goes into it. Along with sketches I make and articles and pictures I find. I've taped every set of instructions I've ever gotten with a trick into the book. And every deck of cards I use, I glue the jokers in the book. If anyone ever found this notebook, I'd be screwed!

Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
vootrage
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of vootrage
I just use windows notepad and have categories (card,coin,rope,mental). Then i list the name and the sleights used next to the name in parenthesis.

hope this helps Smile
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Steve, do you have a website? That Supports ASP pages?

I don't know if you are on the About forum for magic, someone created an access database, and I was thinking about making it web based? Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » keeping track of tricks learned (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL