The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Surfaced (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Do you know what you did to make it "stick out" less?

Do you really think the angels are bad? It seems like he does it with people all around him on the dvd in slow motion it seems quit angley but I'm not sure how it works with all the shacking.
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
I've been practicing this move a ridiculous amount this past week and I have been able to make the move invisible and the top cards stay put, but the sound is still there. I performed the move today for the first time and I was able to fool people but they all mentioned they heard a noise. I guess after watching Chad's performances more, they're all performed in noisy situations. Now I understand why.
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I think there's enough information here so far for everyone struggling with the clipshift to have a good resource. After all, we don't explain every dynamic of how a double lift works to an open forum.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 19:37, palmtreemagic! wrote:
I guess after watching Chad's performances more, they're all performed in noisy situations. Now I understand why.

Common man, I'm sure he can do it silently if he wants to. That was one of the major points of the move. It's only been a week or two. Don't give up so soon.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Quote:
I've been practicing this move a ridiculous amount this past week and I have been able to make the move invisible and the top cards stay put, but the sound is still there. I performed the move today for the first time and I was able to fool people but they all mentioned they heard a noise. I guess after watching Chad's performances more, they're all performed in noisy situations. Now I understand why.

Give yourself some credit, palmtreemagic. If after only one week, you're able to perform the move with speed and neatness - even with the sound - you've made incredible strides. Good for you!
You're also miles ahead of many other frustrated magicians. Like me. I still don't trust the move in public and probably won't for some time to come. Forefinger issues.
Rest assured, the move can be done silently.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Dan,

Don't you think it's bordering on exposure to say where each finger goes and how it contributes to the move? I'm not saying you've done this but generally as far as I know I would consider it as exposing how the move works. "Hey I tried it like this and it works..."

Peace.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Yeah, you're right. In this case though some slack can be cut since even those who have the DVD and can see the move explained can't seem to get it to work. So the posts here are probably not going to do anyone without the DVD much good.
But your point is well taken and I'm more guilty of it than most who have posted on this topic. I plead "new move excitement." In future it's best to take finger placement posts and such to PMs and Secret Sessions.
That will still leave plenty of areas like boasting or crying to post here.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 18:18, fridoliina89 wrote:
Do you know what you did to make it "stick out" less?

Do you really think the angels are bad? It seems like he does it with people all around him on the dvd in slow motion it seems quit angley but I'm not sure how it works with all the shacking.

well, like a pass its not a open move. its done either with body movement, misdirection, or shaking of the hand. so angle yes. however like a pass there are various covers
antonio123
View Profile
Regular user
Croatia
138 Posts

Profile of antonio123
Quote:
On 2008-07-16 23:36, Dan McLean wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-16 22:57, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Anybody have any tips on how to get rid of the freaking noise? If there's no real good way of doing so, do you think the noise would be a problem during performance.

My pinky is now so sore and stiff that if I physically move it around with my other hand, multiple cracks and pops occur. I think I've beem practicing a little too much.

And really hold that deck at a diagonal with the hand off to the side rather than having the hand directly over the deck. I was doing that at first and you could hear the $#@!@& snap for miles.
Hope this helps. Probably won't but at least you know you're not alone.

good point, now it works better Smile
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 22:00, Dan McLean wrote:
Yeah, you're right. In this case though some slack can be cut since even those who have the DVD and can see the move explained can't seem to get it to work. So the posts here are probably not going to do anyone without the DVD much good.
But your point is well taken and I'm more guilty of it than most who have posted on this topic. I plead "new move excitement." In future it's best to take finger placement posts and such to PMs and Secret Sessions.

Don't worry too much about it. I don't have this DVD yet and I still have no clue as to how it is done even after reading most of the posts here. I am kind of waiting to see if you guys can get it to work and with how much effort before I dive in.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
My hand( 2 fingers more specificly) hurt to much to do the move any more. waiting on recovery now
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 22:00, Dan McLean wrote:

From my view I think everyone who learns this should respect the roots. The more info that gets thrown around about where to put your hands or how to ease the noise constantly bombards the creator with "I knew that, and there's a reason I didn't make it clear." Because he left it up to us to learn on our own, not to tell every soul how to make less noise.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
"respect the roots"

Moves are viewed as commodities now, once you "own" the move most feel they can give it away as they want.... a sad trend
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Yeah, it's so sad Daegs

I felt the same way when I read this blow by blow description of estimation
Look familiar?

********************************************************************************
There are two parts of estimation, knowing exactly where a card is in the deck by sight, and being able to cut directly to that spot.

The sight part can be practiced by simply drawing the side of a deck(really a rectangle) down on paper, then asking yourself where various cards are(42nd, 18th, etc), drawing a line where you think it is and then comparing to a crib sheet you have previously drawn which has all the numbers on the side.

You should have no problem estimating by sight where each position is in the deck, you shouldn't be unsure about any #.

The feel part is just practice, but you should be able to get within a 3 card bank most of the time so its either in the cut or just one card off.

A practice I've heard is to simply go through your memorized stack A-K CHaSeD in order cutting to the different positions.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
No affiliation with Chad or the project.

I also haven't seen the project.

But, I have seen Chad do it live.

It was silent when he did it, and I saw it from several different angels.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Dan, thanks for copying my post but I think we have very different situations here.

Estimation explains itself in its very name, and gas been around as long as humanity, whether used in card magic or not. I don't see it any differently than answering a question about memory techniques

Meanwhile, the sleight in this thread has not been around for thousands of years, is not self-explained by the name, and its creator is still alive and protective of the move.

I appreciate what you are trying to show, but I think the two threads are extremely different, as the clip shift IS Chad's move, and estimation is anyone's who takes the time practicing it, there is no innovation in practicing it.
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
Quote:

This move IS SILENT. trust me. I am doing it silent right now. Its all about the clip before the shift. Keep playing around with it. don't set yourself in with having a click when you do it.
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
I just got the Surfaced DVD yesterday, and the move is amazing. I've practiced for only 2 hours today, but I am making pretty good progress. The replacement is probably the hardest for me, and I feel that it will take me a good while to get that down. My fingers hurt like hell, but hey. While one of the most frustrating and finger-intensive sleights I have ever encountered, the clip shift is an incredibly powerful sleight. Thanks Chad! Smile
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16987 Posts

Profile of joseph
I think it's amazing how someone could attempt a new move, which would seem impossible to do, but work at it continuously until he or she can do it effortlessly....
I guess practice makes perfect, and almost anything is possible.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2330 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Joseph, that is something that has always amazed me too. Some moves in magic are so "knacky" that unless you saw someone do them, you would not believe they could be done. How does someone come up with something that is virtually impossible to do initially and yet still have faith that it is something that could be done with practice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Surfaced (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL