The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Can you use an appearing cane for "dancing cane" ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Switch canes..Howard
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1886 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In answer to John "magiquemaker"'s question about the type of cane I use in my dancing cane routine--it's a standard Fantasio vanishing cane, which means that even with the streamer finale, it's fairly light, which allows for a "finer" modus operandus than most dancing canes require. (I should point out however, that the gimmick I use is not the one usually sold in magic shops to turn a vanishing cane into a dancing cane.) The streamer is a Rice's streamer, one of the smaller ones. I've subsituted other streamers about 25 feet long. Once when I forgot to pack my streamer, I also substituted a string of three diamond-cut 18" silks. Not to go too far off on a tangent, but--remember when Rice made an 18 inch black silk with a white tip for the silk to cane? How would it look to have the cane change to a long black streamer instead of a colorful one?

On a side note, a college-educated, lay friend came up to me after a performance once and said, "There's a way to make those handkerchiefs stiff so they look like a cane, isn't there?" I gave the standard "trade secret" response. I guess he was thinking along the lines of the Hindu rope trick. If a magician can make a rope rigid, surely he could do the same with a silk scarf, right? Smile Proof again that intelligent people are the easiest to fool and misdirect, although maybe they tend more to fool themselves.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
carlosbosco
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of carlosbosco
I do dancing cane with the vanishing cane... but I'm not too sure if it would work with appearing because of the obvious ho**ing the "gimmick" up...ud have to have some type of misdirection to dot this.

Thanks

Carlos
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1886 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I know it's been a while since the original question about doing a dancing cane routine with an appearing cane was asked, but the following just occurred to me: a neodymium magnet. Can't be too much more specific without giving too much away. Haven't tried it, but it might be worth investigating. As Carlos points out, there would still have to be some good misdirection when attaching the gimmick as well as finding the balance point. But the nature of the gimmick might make adjusting the balance point relatively easy.

It was the late Bob McAllister who first brought to my attention the possibilities of neodymium magnets. He included a number of effects in his lecture with them. Of course, as Bob pointed out in his lecture, you risk wiping out the magnetic strip on your ATM cards.

A related thought: I don't work with an assistant, but I always thought a nice finish to the dancing cane would be for the magician to be on relatively far stage left and the assistant on stage right. To conclude the routine, the magician directs the cane so that it flies away from him and is caught by the assistant. She could also be carrying a top hat so that the magician can segue into a card manip routine. The flying cane would provide adequate misdirection for acquiring a stock of cards for fan productions.

I also thought it would be neat to use a cane-to-table cane as a dancing cane. The Nielsen set would be too heavy, but I think Abbott used to make a very simple cane-to-table that might have been light enough. The Creekmore dancing cane would be too light, of course. But other models might work.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
You might try using a Silent Butler (shameless plug). This utility device allows for productions of items such as Solid Canes, Candles, Parasoles, Regular Dancing Canes (One or two piece), and other items. There are two draw backs of using the Silent Butler for productions of these items. One; you would have to do this fairly early in any given routine as movement is restricted. Two, You would have to employ some type of momentary cover for the actual steal, like a scarf. Just my two cents worth on the idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Can you use an appearing cane for "dancing cane" ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL