The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magician as a career? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Malus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Malus
Hi, I have been in magic for a few years now. I would say I am an amateur still, doing it just for fun. And I was wondering if people can give me some tips/suggestions to get me started to work as a magician. I was looking in the forum trying to find some posts on this subject, but no luck there. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful, or if you know posts that talk about it please let me know. Thank you very much.
Malus.
The Awesome One
View Profile
Regular user
Gold Coast, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of The Awesome One
It depends on what style of magic you do and how you want to perform.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What field of magic are you looking forward to major in, kid's parties, restaurants, close-up, adult stand-up, stage illusions, school performances, etc? There are books and DVDs that you can learn from also. First we want to know your interest and desire so we will be leading you in the right direction. We will also help guide you to the right threads to those of your interest discussed the same thing previously.

What tricks are you presently performing?

A lot of people quit their job because they do not want 40 hours a week any more. Some magicians find out it was not as they expected. They are still working 40 hours a week but in their own business.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Do you perform the chair suspension just as it's shown?

Jim
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Malus , you need to get yourself over to the Tricky Business section of this site if you haven't already found it.

There are plenty of threads for people just like you there.

If you visit my site http://www.magiccoach.com you will find a bunch of links to other great learning resources - Jim Snacks great course or the MagicCoach 100 archive collection.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Malus:
If you love magic as I love it and many of the professionals here like Jim and Dynamike (posting here) and many others, perform, study, and practice to be a better magic artist every day!!! My only work is magic. I don't work in anything more, I don't know how to do anything more. But the economy, the life, all is going up, and my most important advice to you is study any other career (in my case, I'm a student of Journalism). Study and make a secure career as a backup. If you like to work only as a magician, DO IT as I do. Professional magicians love to be onstage! But make another career for other instances! An example, Pete Biro is a wonderful magician but has a daytime career, Michael Rubenstein is a doctor, and many more as well!
Good Luck, all the best,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Start out part-time, maybe busking or weekend shows. Build a name for yourself...then if the opportunity is there, push for more full-time work.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I can't tell you what to do.
But, I can tell you what I did.
I went out into the streets to get experience with real people.
Basically, doing what Mark suggested above.
If there is a good place to busk in your area, I would HIGHLY suggest it.
The experience is great. And you can make some decent money, too. As you improve, people will start asking you for a business card, and next thing you know, you're doing parties and festivals and loving it.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
I've gotten into magic, but I don't have a magic shop near me. The nearest is in another city. What can I do?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What tricks do you perform?
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
I like to perform any trick that blows peoples minds.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
On 2008-07-20 14:52, mindfreak2.0 wrote:
I've gotten into magic, but I don't have a magic shop near me. The nearest is in another city. What can I do?

Go online. Here's an older thread that might help you decide where to go.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=30

Cheers!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Quote:
On 2008-07-20 14:52, mindfreak2.0 wrote:

I would suggest clicking on the ad banners you see throughout The Magic Café. Some of the best advertise here, and supporting them also supports The Café. Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
I second Hansel's post. Please take care of brains first, a piece of paper on the wall can always help. I'm a pro working in Europe now for the USA Military and European Armed Forces and various. Breaking into any field of show biz is, well, I think Axel Rose said it right (Welcome to the Jungle) and was right on. Luck is but only one part of it. It's a big sea out there, please learn to swim well first.
The Cafè is full of good people and pros who are here as a family to provide you the best info possible. Just knock.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magician as a career? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL