The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Medical professionals who love magic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
dykstraj99
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of dykstraj99
I'm a fp doc. I think connecting with people is the most important thing. I think the trend of medicine is moving away from that and treating people as numbers. We need to fight that and keep humanity in medicine. Magic is a great way to do that. It helps me enjoy my job and help my patients feel like real people and not just a number.
Thank you to all who try to keep humanity in medicine!
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
I've been working in an outpatient pharmacy in a medical center and have seen many parents come in with their kids bored and screaming, I can see it in the parents eyes that they wish they could get the kids to stop misbehaving. I normally walk up to the window if things are slow and ask the parents if their child would like to see a magic trick. There hasn't been a time when the parents said no. I pretty much do CMH and finish off with Hanson Chein's Touch and give them the rubber bands as a souvenir. Making not just the parents but the kids feel a sigh of relief makes my day whenever I get a chance. I understand that patients have been in the urgent care or ER for hours at a time or just being discharged from the unit, and the small amount of magic makes them forget all of it just for that one moment and I think it's worth it to bring some kind of amazement to a family that's just been through a lot.
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I am back for another quick update. I am now working clinically in a pediatric day surgery unit at Baylor Our Children's House, while I continue to build my clinical entertainment business: http://www.MagicNurse.com I am back to performing close up magic for my patients as part of my nursing practice. It really has had an impact on surgery patients and their families. performing a trick or two in pre-op is a fantastic way to distract and alleviate fear and anxiety. Then a finale performance upon discharge sends our folks home happy, knowing that we cared for them giving our best care performance. It just plain works.

on another note:

After graduating from clown school with the New York Goofs, and taking the clowning trip with Patch Adams, I developed a tramp clown character and began working as a professional clown: http://www.Trampclown.com . My master plan was to introduce the art of clowning into my skill set so that I may also include therapeutic clowning into my practice. I hope to report on my progress in this effort soon. I have found that the clown has universal appeal where magic may not be able to reach. As a "Clinical Performance Artist" adding clowning opens new doors. Hospital clowning as a therapeutic profession is gaining strength in healthcare settings throughout the world. There are degree plans in Therapeutic Clowning which combine courses in nursing and theatrical arts to prepare clowns for this specialized work. We are so fortunate to have one of the top rated programs right here in Dallas/Ft Worth.

Please keep adding your stories and experiences here. I will try to better attend and share more soon.
Take care and God Bless you guys who are sharing your talents with those who need it most!
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
64 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
Quote:
On 2014-01-09 23:58, NurseRob wrote:
...I am back to performing close up magic for my patients as part of my nursing practice. It really has had an impact on surgery patients and their families. performing a trick or two in pre-op is a fantastic way to distract and alleviate fear and anxiety...

Very nice! Adding some positive distraction (and maybe sneak in a positive suggestion of a great outcome) is a good thing to do. I worked as a US Navy Hospital Corpsman in the hospital, clinics and ER, I learned that helping alleviate fear and anxiety, as you say, is a wonderful gift to give.

Please keep us posted.
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
One-on-One: Healing Trauma - Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy
Groups: Magic, Mentalism
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Keep on giving. The rewards are priceless.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I have recently learned of a non profit magic organization in Chicago: http://www.openheartmagic.org/ I hope they have much success. I would like to see more of these programs get traction in hospitals around the country.
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
This thread has been a wonderful read. When I did my clinical pastoral education at Hershey Medical Center during seminary, I was assigned to the pediatric ward and the heart transplant ward. I am always pleased to see the holistic approach applied to the art/science of medicine. Patients are people! Please, please, please keep up the exceptional work...and Well Done!
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
Magic Oli
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of Magic Oli
I'm doing my high school finals at the moment and have always wanted to be a doctor but also a magician. I can't wait to be able to help and give wonder to the people in need Smile
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, NurseRob wrote:
I have recently learned of a non profit magic organization in Chicago: http://www.openheartmagic.org/ I hope they have much success. I would like to see more of these programs get traction in hospitals around the country.

This year Open Heart Magic will help over 7,300 sick children deal with the stress of being in the hospital. This is an organization with only a few on staff and over 100 volunteer magicians visiting hospitals on a weekly basis. Please consider making a contribution to keep this wonderful organization growing. www.OpenHeartMagic.org

Hudson
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I have been quite busy these last 2 years working on this Magic Nurse concept. Here is a link to a news story: http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/hea......lown.ece
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Have I mentioned lately that being a "Magic Nurse" has been a lifetime game changer for me? I wrote a book about it, and I will share the details on that experience soon. If we are not already FB friends look up MagicNurse Rob. Happy Mothers Day Everyone!
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
I'm not a physician, but a clinical psychologist. As part of my outreach, I incorporate magic as part of my talks. Heck, I even did a magic trick as part of my ABPP exam.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
cskibinsky
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of cskibinsky
Can I ask, does anyone provide a program teaching doctors magic? To help connect them with patients?
Dr.Brown,dc
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Dr.Brown,dc
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2018, cskibinsky wrote:
Can I ask, does anyone provide a program teaching doctors magic? To help connect them with patients?

You can try Project Magic. The program was started in 1981 by David Copperfield. It is the best program I have found for beginning magic. I use it in my clinic for children.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2018, cskibinsky wrote:

I am not sure where you are located but you might want to look into this https://www.magicacademy.co.uk/doctors-magic/
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
israelrt
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of israelrt
I demonstrated an Erdnase Colour Change to an older patient the other day.

It provided some minor amusement, while discussing more serious matters Smile

I learnt it from Ben Salinas's excellent video Hotshot Color Changes.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My wife of 20 years retired September 2019. She served as a country doctor from her own clinic for many years. She still performs magic. And even has live unicorn for her act. Join her sometime at Magic Valley Magic here at Magic Valley Ranch.

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dbaltes1520
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of dbaltes1520
Great forum discussion - all of you who are in the care world - bless you! Especially at this time - finding ways to help people see a little hope, experience some magic - cannot say enough for what you are all doing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Medical professionals who love magic (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL