The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Medical professionals who love magic (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 02:07, FranciscoDancon wrote:
...I've thought about going to the medical school anatomy lab to do a very disturbing version of a found card trick....like....card magically found in a brain.....and putting that on youtube. But ultimately I decided against that because it has the potential to create controversy, and I don't want any of that :-/. Even though it would be pretty awesome to load a card into a brain!

grossing me out a little there doc..
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
MagicDr
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
111 Posts

Profile of MagicDr
Quote:
On 2011-09-04 02:07, FranciscoDancon wrote:
I'm a medical student, and I became really interested in doing magic during my pediatrics rotation (which I am still doing). Even though I hate pediatrics with a serious passion, I still like bringing a smile to the faces of my patients. It is not only a stress reliever for them, but it is also a serious relaxer for me. So, I'm working on a variety of the card found in an orange trick, and I'll present it to all my colleagues on call in the next week.

I've thought about going to the medical school anatomy lab to do a very disturbing version of a found card trick....like....card magically found in a brain.....and putting that on youtube. But ultimately I decided against that because it has the potential to create controversy, and I don't want any of that :-/. Even though it would be pretty awesome to load a card into a brain!

You can dress it as a mentalism trick : P
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I thought it would be good to revive this thread with an update. I have been back to camp and was magic nurse for some very appreciative kids with complex medical condition at camp John Marc this spring, and will be going again in June. I really enjoying the camp experience, teaching magic to great kids: empowering them to perform new skills, in spite of their medical challenges.

I wish especially to thank Christopher Lyle for joining me last Saturday to entertain kids with Spina Bifida at a special event for them held by the Spina Bifida Association of North Texas. The kids and their families were so thrilled by your performance, and I am so blessed to have you as my friend!

Click here to view attached image.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
A lot is happening lately in my quest to bring magic to patients, please help with quick visit to my website and follow the link to cast your vote to help me qualify for a grant. here is a link to a recent show put on by the Spina Bifida kids at a summer camp magic class I held 2 weeks ago. Please help me continue to empower these patients by supporting me with your vote: http://youtu.be/MmPHWsZA2oo

It is crunch time and this is my last chance to get votes for a chance at a grant to help my MagicNurse.com mission to help pediatric patients through the performing arts. I need 169 more votes before midnight Saturday to stay in the running. Please help and pass on to your friends. Go to http://www.missionsmallbusiness.com for more details.
Thank you so much, and Bless you for helping!

1. Go to http://www.missionsmallbusiness.com/
2. In the lower right-hand corner, click on Log In & Support
3. A box will pop up - select Log In With Facebook (or equivalent)
4. The Small Business Vote page will appear. Scroll to the bottom
5. Type Magicnurse.com in the search box and hit Enter
6. MagicNurse.com shows up. Click Vote to the right of that
7. All done. You can then "share" your vote and let others know about it.
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
This is a great thread. I'm a primary care care doc and have been a long time fan of magic. Finally got back into it about a year ago but still with limited performing chops... I wondered about bringing magic into my work (primarily underserved patients with a focus on primary care for mentally ill patients). Any thoughts on appropriate effects for those with severe mental illness? (Probably not a good idea to do too much mentalism/mind-reading with a patient with active schizophrenia!)

Cheers.
Aaron
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Hi Aaron,
I think anything you do to entertain your patients to bridge the caring gap is worthwhile! Find close up tricks that you enjoy most, then try them on your patients. Try to make the story relevant if possible, but having a nice story that has a positive ending leaves the patient with a feel good moment. I like Tricky paddles with the rabbit in the hat, then I give the prop to the patient to keep. I present it with a little story progression. It is a small act of kindness when you diverge a little from the medical interview to present an effect, and leaves a lasting impression of compassion. You will enjoy your days more when you can perform and have a little fun in your work!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2012-05-03 02:20, NurseRob wrote:
I thought it would be good to revive this thread with an update. I have been back to camp and was magic nurse for some very appreciative kids with complex medical condition at camp John Marc this spring, and will be going again in June. I really enjoying the camp experience, teaching magic to great kids: empowering them to perform new skills, in spite of their medical challenges.

I wish especially to thank Christopher Lyle for joining me last Saturday to entertain kids with Spina Bifida at a special event for them held by the Spina Bifida Association of North Texas. The kids and their families were so thrilled by your performance, and I am so blessed to have you as my friend!

I just saw this...

You're very welcome! Smile
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Braaainz
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Braaainz
I'm a registered nurse, usually emergency/trauma and also specializing in vascular access. Due to the hospitals being more and more latex free, I recently stopped doing any rubberband magic in them.

Little kids still love the Slydini Toilet Paper Trick... and I started keeping a thumbtip on hand.
JonesingForTruth
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of JonesingForTruth
Thumbtips were my former RN Girlfriend's best friend... Thanks so much to all of you for everything you do.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Sorry I've been away for a bit. I took a humanitarian clown trip with Patch Adams as part of a group of clowns from all over the world to clown in some very distressed environments in Costa Rica. We clowned in a very poor community of Nicaraguan immigrants settled near the City Dump, a childrens hospital, the state psychiatric facility and the prison. check out my photo gallery: http://www.magicnurse.com/apps/photos/

now I am ready to focus on bringing my clowning closer to home!
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
Can you share more about how things went at the Psychiatric facility, NurseRob?

I'm curious to know how magic effects go over with that type of patient population in particular and am interested in bringing magic to folks in group homes for the mentally ill but do wonder about how to "appropriately" do this...

AK
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I had one encounter with a woman who was somewhat catatonic with her hands tied with linen ties to the arms of her wheel chair. She was parked away from the other patients in an outside open area. When I approached her she smiled, so I began to interact with her in clown. I juggled my Dube juggling scarves and she watched with interest. I then placed a scarf in each of her hands and began exchanging the scarves between her and I in a juggling pattern, hence making a restrained psychiatric patient part of the juggling act. I could not help but think to myself (in that moment)That through clowning, I have freed her a little bit from her bonds, even if just in her imagination. In those moments while we juggled together, we both escaped the loony bin, and ran away to the circus together. I had many other special moments of discovery, and connected on a human level without the benefit of common language or mental capacity. Love truly is a universal language, where sanity is not required.
Granger
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Granger
A very useful thread to read upon! I am a dentist myself and I certainly learned a lot here! Thanks!
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
Wow, Rob. Finally got back to this thread. thanks for sharing this very touching story. You are so right about connecting with folks.

I'm getting closer to putting together a small show (maybe 30 minutes) that I want to present at local group homes for the mentally ill. I think there's just something wonderful human (and humane) about bringing this kind of entertainment and wonder to folks who otherwise have no access to live performance and engagement.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I'm an ER RN. We get a lot of kids that come to the ER and many are scared. A little magic can really make them feel comfortable with me and the other staff. I have a pen for recap, a coin in my pocket, a rubber band - I am set.
I get a lot of people who come back to the ER and ask for me to be their nurse.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 04:21, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
I'm an ER RN. We get a lot of kids that come to the ER and many are scared. A little magic can really make them feel comfortable with me and the other staff...

That is Awesome!!! I did ER for 12 years before went into pediatrics to chill out. I reduced my stress and increased my clinical magic as a result. My hope is to now spread the word about how close up magic can help clinicians with their patients, AND combat their own stress by using this performance art in their workplace!! Keep it up Brother!! check out my website http://www.magicnurse.com for more details on my approach to magic nursing.
Pseph Choy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
28 Posts

Profile of Pseph Choy
Hi Rob and friends on this thread! Very happy to find this thread. I'm in medical school and was lucky to take a seminar with a physician/magician on magic and medicine. I very much believe that magic can be a powerful tool to comfort patients. Moreover, I also believe that magic can inspire those of us in the healthcare professional alliance. I saw a nurse with an ace of hearts on the back of his hospital ID badge... he told me that a young patient of his performed magic with it and he carries it as a reminder of the importance of his work. My professor has taught me to think about how the extensive amount of practice, control of environment, and empathetic attention to our audiences as magicians can powerfully and positively be applied to our care for patients. I'm very excited to be part of both fields of magic and medicine with you!
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
When I started cultivating my interest in magic, I had no idea I'd be posting on this thread. But a few years (and huge career change) later, and here I am an R.N. about to start my first nursing job! I'll be working with youth, so I'm sure I'll have some opportunities to break out a few effects.

Wish me luck!

— Daniel
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Quote:
On 2013-03-06 20:42, DanielCoyne wrote:
When I started cultivating my interest in magic, I had no idea I'd be posting on this thread. But a few years (and huge career change) later, and here I am an R.N. about to start my first nursing job! I'll be working with youth, so I'm sure I'll have some opportunities to break out a few effects.

Wish me luck!

— Daniel

WOW....WOW...Really that is Awesome Daniel!! You are going to experience the power of clinical magic, when you see how effective it is in reducing patient anxiety and creating a better patient care experience. I am so thrilled for you. PLEASE post your experiences here in this thread. YOU are going to have some GREAT stories to share!!!
hail_to_the_victors
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of hail_to_the_victors
Hi all!
So...I'm a 31 year old male nurse, and I absolutely love using magic as a tool at work. As a hospice nurse I care for those who are dying. Sometimes magic is a simple tool I can use to rid the grieving patient or family member of the severity of the challenging situation...even if only for a brief moment. Magic can take them back to their childhood days even though the end is near. I'm thinking of volunteering at the University of Michigan hospital just to do magic. Love you guys!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Medical professionals who love magic (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL