The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PlayStation 2 as a DVD Player -- A Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
I recently hooked up my new PlayStation 2 to my TV. Because of my TV set's design, I am using the supplied cables that came with the PS2 and have it hooked up through my VCR (just like the old PS1 was).

I was reading the instruction booklet regarding using the PS2 as a DVD player. Did I read correctly that the picture quality will be lessened when I play a DVD on the PS2 because of how I have it hooked up? They recommended when using the PS2 as a DVD player to change the hook-up (I think I would have to purchase a separate cable or something). This sounds most inconvenient.

Does anybody have any input or information on this? Is it pointless to play a DVD movie on the PS2 because I have the system hooked up to my TV set via the VCR? If so, how can I get around this?? My TV set doesn't have the newer type connections for any other hook-up -- that's why I had to use the two cables that came with the PS2 only.

Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

Frank
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
Hi ! I have a PS2 and it's directly in the "input" of the TV. If I put it in the VCR, I have problems with the image because of the security mechanism of the dvd (they don't want you to copy the dvd on a VHS tape). So, if it's doing this (the image become dark, light, dark, light) it's because of the security mechanism. But if it's working (I don't know why), it's probably the same image that you would got through a normal tv.

That's all i know about it
Mark Smile
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
551 Posts

Profile of debaser
Most dvd players work this way (you cannot hook them up through your vcr for security reasons) YOU can buy a little box at electronics stores that will get around this but I suggest just hooking it straight up to your tv anyway.

Matt
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
Mark & Matt:

I bought a DVD today (an old movie from 1984). It seemed to work okay in the PlayStation 2. I didn't experience that "light-dark-light-dark" effect you had mentioned. Maybe that's because this is such an old movie (i.e. not a "new release"). Thanks, though, for the advice about getting the little electronic box gadget. I'm going to look into that.

Thanks again!

Frank
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Heavens to Mercitroids
You can also buy an item that I use to use that you plug ALL your devices into a box and then hook the box up to the TV. Most video game stores carry them. Just tell them your problem and they will know what you are talking about. I got mine from Electronics Boutique (EBX).
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
The Quality of the DVD player in the Playstation is very poor. Infact it was a mirror version of the cheapest model of a DVD player at that time(basically a skipping garbage machine), that Sony had put in just to make the PS2 a more "attractive" unit.

Don't look for quality or performance from the PS2 as a DVD player. There has been alot of performance problems with that aspect of the machine.

The better of DVD players in gaming consoles available would be the XBOX. That unit could very easily pass as your regular DVD player as it is the opposite of the PS2. It is infact one of the best DVD units that were available at the time of manufacturing, was put in.

Infact the DVD player in the XBOX is still just as superior as most of todays seperate units.

Anyway, don't expect too much from your PS2 player. Consider it what it is.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
551 Posts

Profile of debaser
Frank, your movie being old had nothing to do with it. It's just the way you have your PS2 hooked up that makes the difference. The biggest problem with cheap dvd players is layer changes and reading through any kind of dirt etc...

I have three dvd players and I personally like my relatively inexpensive Sony (90 bucks) the best.

DO NOT go with any expensive dvd player unless you have a high definition TV and a nice stereo (surround sound) system.

There is no reason for it.

Matt
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
Thanks for all the information! I appreciate everybody's input. Thanks again!

Frank
Ian_B
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Ian_B
Fhood: never hook your PS2 (or any other system) through your VCR to watch DVD. Sony, MS, and Nintendo developed a new method to downgrade the quality of the videos for security reasons.

From what I've heard, playing DVD movies on your system will lessen its life span.
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Heavens to Mercitroids
Quote:

From what I've heard, playing DVD movies on your system will lessen its life span.

I have heard the same.
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
551 Posts

Profile of debaser
From what I've heard of the PS2s pretty much anything will lessen the life span, although I've heard they are better these days.

Matt
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
I also had this problem, you should buy a seperate box that has 3 in/outputs, this is the best way if your PS2 does not work on your VCR. You can get these boxes at Goodguys or Best-Buy or any other electronic stores.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Ian_B
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Ian_B
debaser, Sony had some minor problems with their first units. But they fixed and upgraded the new models SCPH-30004+ which were released a couple of years ago.

Gamewatch said the main reason for most PS2 breakdowns is the user not taking really good care of their system.

When you push the eject button (the blue button) and put the CD in place, NEVER push the tray back inside by your hands. Instead, push the eject button, because in time the spring that pops the tray open will wear out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » PlayStation 2 as a DVD Player -- A Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL