The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Triple Mind Read (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I have been doing a lot of walk around and dinner events lately and rather than perform the ever popular ACR and related card effects, I wanted something that could easily be carried, involved more than one participant and left a token of my presence on the table as an advertisement.

So...I have combined the stealth assassin, one book from the Ultimate Flashback collection, and a stacked deck. I take out a business card and ask the first participant to write down a four digit number, the second participant to select a word from the book, and the third one to select a card. I then 'commit' myself by writing down all three on another business card before anyone reveals anything.

The wallet is in play and on the table, the second card provides the premise to get back into the wallet, and the three selections are so different that it adds a certain additional wow factor to the final revelation, which proceeds by asking each person to reveal their number,word, and card.

I then ask someone to turn over my committed selections, which can then be left on the table. There is no real reset and you can move to the next group of people.

I did this about 5 times last night for a room of 80 and it created a nice buzz...

Nothing hugely original here but I like the compact nature of the props and the huge impact the demonstration can have. Loads of room for improvisation, and you have three things with you that can also be performed in their own right.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I think it's an original presentation utilizing the three individual effects.

It has sparked a couple of cool ideas this Sunday morn.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Thanks. I have also been using Riggs' Beautiful Butterfly instead of the stealth assassin,but I like leaving the business card with the three revelations on the table as I walk away,.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of aukt
Todd;

how long does this last?
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
If you're already using a peek device, do you really need to bring a book and a deck of cards into this? I imagine carrying a book around with you might bring about some suspicion.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
It can take about 6 to 8 minutes, depending on your audience and how you develop your rapport....

Andini: I did worry a bit about your concerns, but once in the field, I have not had any trouble thus far...the book fits in my inside jacket pocket...I like the interplay of three very different things and I do not have an over reliance on the peek device...
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
A very nice routine.

The Magnum wallet by Outlaw would be perfect here as it can be left in full view of the audience.

Have you considered using the BIP book test for a "triple read"? It's deceptive and small.

GH
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2322 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
The BIP Book would work well and if you want to be a little more "organic", Andy Nyman's "Magician's Graphology" with business cards would go over very well in your situation.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2834 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Interestingly I am currently reading Chuck Hickok's Mentalism Incorporated Vol 2 and in it Chuck repeatly stresses the value of having routines with Multiple Moments of Amazement.

There is a lot of good sense in this and your routine seems to have this. Good stuff.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
It sounds like a nice routine. Just curious why you wouldn't just do a similar confabulation routine. The effect would be similar and less to carry around.

Steve
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
I like the progression
You could build up the difficulty
1 in 52
1 in 200
and 1 in (what would be the odds of getting a four digit number correctly?)

Maybe start with a couple of psycholgical fo****, and save the 4 digit number test for the person who got all or most of the fo****.
Woodfield
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12559 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2008-06-29 16:03, Steve Suss wrote:
It sounds like a nice routine. Just curious why you wouldn't just do a similar confabulation routine. The effect would be similar and less to carry around.

Steve

Most probably because he does his own thing. Smile

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2008-06-29 17:52, johncesta wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-29 16:03, Steve Suss wrote:

Steve

Most probably because he does his own thing. Smile

j

Indeed John...I like having all three things with me to mix and match depending on the 'willingnes' of the audience...corporate dinners and similar events can be funny especially when the audience have not been told an entertainer will be there that night. At my last engagement,I had a nice group of four sitting on an terrace and looked very relaxed,so the whole routine unfolded nicely with the 'multiple moments' idea that Chuck advocates, and the presentation was interspersed with lots of banter about me being an American living in Britain (something that helps to break the ice immensely). So,for that table...bingo...for another, it was clear that the guests were busy with a different agenda and that they wanted something short and sharp, so it is possible to do one of the three and move on. Another typical scenario that unfolds is that people will gravitate towards my presentation, so I can do one thing with a one or two people and then add effects as more join the group.

I have Outlaw's prestige wallet, which has a nice sized 'gusset' (not a nice word in the UK) that holds up to 20 cards, with which I often do a version of Alan Strydom's creating impact (three symbol selection and divination followed by a number revelation)...I am using Loren Tindall's Cairo Cards...again,this routine has multiple moments,but is best suited for a one on one presentation.
wordSMITH
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of wordSMITH
This is a really nice collection. I especially like the modular style to the performance, in that you can mess around with the separate aspects depending on the situation. I'm sure this makes your presentation very flexible: your two opposite examples do suggest this somewhat!

It's the kind of routine that I would want to create myself.

How did you first start thinking along the lines of combining these three standalone effects into one presentation?
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:

How did you first start thinking along the lines of combining these three standalone effects into one presentation?

I read and read and read,perform,perform,and perform....then I think,think, and think...I have watched the rapid fire performances of Graham Jolley and like how he combines different effects to keep his audience guessing. I like Cassidy's three envelope test, and was thinking how to combine three things that could be modular.

I first did this in a stage show for 80 people using the baby hornet, the full ultimate flashback, the master key, and a stacked deck....so,four elements...I then thought 'how can I make it small and portable?' Stealth assassin (or suitable equivalent), one book (could use Dracula), and the deck...so I guess it evolved and may well continue to do so....
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4585 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Maybe I'm missing something here...

But what does a playing card, a random word from a book, and a 4-digit number have to do with each other?

I'm not sensing any sort of cohesive theme.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Nothing what so ever...which is why I like it...
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1956 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Sorry Philomen,my response could appear flippant and discourteous,so I wanted to explain a bit. My fuller performances, whether my one hour stage set or two hour theatre show are completely thematic and coherent, exploring the many themes that emerge from the tension between what I call scientific and esoteric metaphysics,e.g. time, cause and effect,identity, correspondences, coincidences, synchronicity, etc.

All of that is lovely when I have the luxury of time and a paying audience that is sitting down and prepared for a 'show' as it were. In some cases, it is possible to establish this kind of premise in a less formal setting, but often when performing walk around or at tables, I have a very limited time to provide a little amazement and the move on,so I needed some rapid fire demonstrations that would put down a marker.

The triple mind read achieves this by being light, quick, amazing, and can be done straight away at the next table or group of people. A post above framed it in terms of the probabilities associated with the feats; 1 in 52,1 in roughly 80,000, and 1 in 10 raised to the power of 4 (or 10000)....I imagine this probability story would appeal to you...

anyway,there is a strange market out there for our services...I have a booking in 2 weeks in which my client literally said..'you better be good since there will be 14 year old boys there demanding to be impressed...' (can't say this attitude inspires me, but I do find that with my own appraoch, the 14 year olds have a great time).

Many people still misperceive our skills and demonstrations as a challenge or an affront to their intelligence, which is a shame, so I try to calm the situation, allow them to participate and hopefully leave them with a good memory of what has happened.

On this occasion, they are left with my business card,the three correctly divined pieces of information, and (hopefully) a good time....
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1190 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
I'll second... actually it's probably more like fifth... the positive comments about this progressive routine.

I have thinking of something similar, that being to have a longer 10 minute set/routine that can be done for few or many. Allowing me to stop at any moment and leave the group (for whatever reason). A bit like Derren's 3 Card Routine form The Devils Picture book.

I'll try it out this Saturday for a booking, so thanks for sharing Todd.

I always like to get the written information (in your example Todd, this would be the four digit number) almost immediately, almost as part of my introduction, so that when more people join the group they have no idea this info was ever written. Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Dr. todd is a smart b*****d...and a good mate too, what's great about watching him perform is that he is very natural and commanding in a good way when he performs...

and there's not many who have the brass ones to perform twice at tabula mentis, infront of david berglas, and 50 "mentalists" and right off the bat too...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Triple Mind Read (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL