The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Dave Atell's new "Gong Show" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
A while back I got a casting call to go to NY for Dave Atell's new "Gong Show". Not only am I retired, but a non-paying $75 trip to Manhattan to "possibly" get on TV just didn't seem like something I wanted to do.

Now Comedy Central will air this possible network bomb, as commercials are airing featuring a lot of dumba$$es getting pies thrown in their faces (man that's talent). In these clips I did catch a glimpse of the Enigma partaking in some odd non-sideshow act, an unknown female sword swallower, and the reverent Jim Rose doing a blockhead corkscrew (man I need to get the design for that one so I can make it for all you guys).

Now I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one to get that casting call... any thoughts? Any Café' members here participated?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
ReggieB
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia, PA, USA
183 Posts

Profile of ReggieB
Im interesting in hanging out with Dave Atell, preferably for drinks.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Got the call as well, wasn't in the cards at the time so it didn't get any serious thought. If I had the time....maybe, but didn't so oh well. Hope it works out for the people that I know that do end up doing it. I have a love/hate relationship with all of the variety scouting tv shows that pop up.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
The casting producer contacted me and I put a few people onto it. I know about 10 people that did it. Murrugun The Mystic won 2nd place on the show he shot...he lost to a woman that did coochie farts to music Smile NOW THAT'S TALENT Smile You didn't miss much.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Quote:
On 2008-06-30 13:35, T-RAY wrote:
...Murrugun The Mystic won 2nd place on the show he shot...he lost to a woman that did coochie farts to music....

There's the hate part I spoke of with these types of shows
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Got the call, wasn't interested.

A lot of folks say there's no such thing as bad publicity. Once in a while, there's an exception to that rule.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
ReggieB
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia, PA, USA
183 Posts

Profile of ReggieB
Quote:
On 2008-06-30 13:35, T-RAY wrote:
a woman that did coochie farts to music Smile NOW THAT'S TALENT Smile You didn't miss much.

ahh the magical vagina.

[sigh]
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
They were hitting this pretty hard here in NY about 2 months ago.
I was a guest judge at a gong show at a bar and Comedy Central reps were there looking for talent.
The guy approached me after the show, (I did my version of Mullica's cigarette eating act) and the guy loved it and begged me to submit a video clip.
I'm really not into nationwide displays of stupidity disguised as art (coochie farts) so I sent a video interview of myself talking about swallowing swords. Needless to say, they called coochie fart girl instead of me.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
They were hitting this pretty hard here in NY about 2 months ago.
I was a guest judge at a gong show at a bar and Comedy Central reps were there looking for talent.
The guy approached me after the show, (I did my version of Mullica's cigarette eating act) and the guy loved it and begged me to submit a video clip.
I'm really not into nationwide displays of stupidity disguised as art (coochie farts) so I sent a video interview of myself talking about swallowing swords. Needless to say, they called coochie fart girl instead of me.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
See? Proof that they have no class.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I was contacted.

eh, Dave Attell is hosting, it can't be that great.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia, PA, USA
183 Posts

Profile of ReggieB
Quote:
On 2008-06-30 18:06, Freak Prodigy wrote:
I was contacted.
eh, Dave Attell is hosting, it can't be that great.
Brett.

will you be on it?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Nope.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Well if I had the chance to perform with a magical vagina !!! I would be there like a shot!!
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Dave Atell is pretty cool, it's just the format of the whole thing.. seems more like its there to "disgrace" us rather than show true talent, or to put it better to disguise our art as nationwide displays of stupidity.

To those of you who got what I said... yes I meant that.

And Ken, I didn't know you had a vagina, let alone the coochie fart bit with it.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I couldn't have said it better myself...not even twice.
tfessler
View Profile
New user
Kentucky
14 Posts

Profile of tfessler
Yup, they hit us up. 3 different producers contacted me. When I asked about monetary compensation, they said that it was minimal because it was "just for fun".

I stopped talking to them after that.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2008-07-01 04:10, Kondini wrote:
Well if I had the chance to perform with a magical vagina !!! I would be there like a shot!!

Magical vagina? what’s so magical? No bleeding and the owner never gets a headache? OK controversial I know … but couldn’t resist it. Smile or Smile depending if the wife reads this!
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Yeah, they contacted a lot of us. I thought about it, but I just didn't see the point; I know quite a few people who've been on Letterman, America's Got Talent, etc. etc., and it hasn't done them any good.

Who knows, perhaps my act would have done well in this format, (as opposed to AGT, where I know they would hate me.) I'm just not comfortable with the idea of laying my act out there for an editor to make of it what he will.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I agree with everyone, however if I came up with something like a roller skating routine in a gorilla suite while playing a banjo then I would go on. I would not do what I do for a living and let them tear me up. I would humiliate myself for the TV credit though.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Dave Atell's new "Gong Show" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL