The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » David Penn Lecture DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1846 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
DAVID PENN LECTURE DVD - A REVIEW

Up front I would like everyone to know that I consider David a close friend, however this will not have a bearing on this review at all - everything in this review is my honest opinion.

I got David’s new lecture DVD from him at his recent lecture at the Leamington Spa convention. Having now watched it from beginning to end I feel that I am in a position to comment on the DVD. It is really well produced and shot in a recent tour of China which makes the DVD a lot more interesting to watch than watching the inside of a studio.

There are a number of effects that will suit all types of performers, from close up magicians, cabaret performers to even kids magicians; they all will get something out of this DVD. Some of the material comes straight from David’s competition act, some does not, but all the routines have been used over and over by David and have helped to make him one of the most successful performing magicians in the UK. All the effects are great (there is not a bad routine in the bunch) and there are several routines that I can see myself performing. The routines are:

Glass of Water Production (From a spectator’s jacket)
Possibly the best opener for a cabaret show ever. David performed this at his lecture at the Leamington Spa convention the other day and blew away a room full of some of the top magicians in the country. This is something that everyone could and should use. In essence you take the jacket off a spectator and produce a full glass of water from their sleeve.

Biz Card Transpo
An impromptu miracle - all you need is a few business cards. The nice part of this effect is that the transposition of the two business cards happens in the spectator’s hands.

Design Duplication
Throw away all your peek wallets, I predict that once people see this, everyone is going to be performing this version of the classic design duplication effect. This is so clean and once again impromptu - all you need is a few business cards (and a spectator of course).

The Black Eight
Many magicians have played with producing an eight ball from a pack of cards but IMO David’s version is the best I have seen. The way the production is handled makes it angle proof and therefore great for walk around cocktail conditions.

Tine Bend Subtlety
I have seen many magicians perform a tine bend in the past and I have never been very impressed because as soon as the bend is done it has to be revealed (at least in the versions I have seen). With this subtlety the tine bend can be created and then the fork shown to the audience and they will see nothing. Anytime you want to you can then go into the tine bend. Great thinking.

Psychological Spoon Bend
I do not really perform spoon bending but if I did, this is the version I would use. As with the rest of David’s work the magic is incredibly strong and the built in misdirection is perfect.

Salt Inspector
For restaurant workers this is golden. A quick sharp routine using a salt cellar - perfect for throwing in between other routines.

Linking Laces
This routine floored me when I saw David a few months ago and he showed it me. The routine could be placed into a longer rope routine or performed on its own. Basically a red lace and a white lace link together under IMPOSSIBLE conditions. This really has to be seen to be believed.

Circle to the Fourth Dimension
I am going record right now saying that this is THE BEST coin routine with regular coins I have ever seen. The routining with this effect is brilliant, no wonder David won Close Up Magician of the Year with this effect. It’s a multi phase routine but perfect for restaurants as it can be ended after any phase and the whole thing only plays for a few seconds.

Penn’s Vanish & Colour Change
Two great cards sleights. I predict that when the card guys see Penn’s Vanish especially they will throw away their Rub a dub dub vanishes and Tent vanishes and start just using this. I know I have.

V.D.A.C.C.A.W
Another routine out of David’s competition act which would make a great opener or closer to a card set. Basically a pack of cards and card case vanishes, but the thinking and construction of this routine will fool everyone.

A couple of the effects require the use of the Topit and I believe David is coming out with a new DVD soon on Topiting including a brand new design that he has used for himself for years. If this is true this is great news, David is the most natural manipulator of the Topit I have ever witnessed and that includes the masters Michael Ammar and Patrick Page. This will be something to look forward to!

This DVD is more than just tricks however, the advice that David gives throughout the DVD is brilliant. When someone as successful as David talks, anyone serious about getting ahead in this business should listen and if you do listen to his advise you are not only going to learn some great tricks, but a lot more as well.

Overall I have to recommend everyone to buy this DVD. No matter where you are in magic, no matter what type of magic you are into, everyone will get something out of this. I cannot imagine anyone buying this DVD and being unhappy with their purchase. 10 out of 10.

As a side note, David has now put together a brand new lecture after years away from lecturing. If you are a society or a club I would strongly advise you to book David for a lecture. That is if you are looking for something different that will leave your members excited and talking about the ideas they have learnt for weeks to come.

Thanks for reading
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1846 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
By the way. I forgot to mention where you can buy this. The DVD is only available directly from David (as far as I am aware). Go to http://www.davidpenn.co.uk/lecturedvd.htm to buy.

The DVD is only £20 (a bargain) and he takes paypal. As far as I am aware it is only an extra £1.50 to ship anywhere n the world.

Thanks

Craig
Russell
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Russell
I also picked up David's lecture DVD last week and I have to say it was one of the best DVD's I have seen in a long time. All the material is commercial and as a worker I appreciated this is a great deal. All the routines were good although my favourites are Circle to the Forth Dimension, both of the business card effects and V.D.A.C.C.A.W. I have already learnt the Circle routine and performed it in one of my restaurants this weekend and it KILLED. The routine is so well structured each phase just builds and builds. V.D.A.C.C.A.W.is such a cheeky routine. Although I am not really a card guy I could see myself using this as an opener to a set of card tricks. The nice thing about this routine is it really establishes you are a magician, you are good at your job and you kick ass.

As a previous purchaser of coinvexed I really appreciated the section of the DVD where David sits down and has a discussion with Craig Petty on the gimmick. I have been using this prop since Blackpool and I must say it is the finest bender on the market (and yes I have seen QB). The advise that David goes through in this section whilst not worth the price of the DVD alone, goes really far to providing more bang for your buck.

Overall I have to say that this is probably the DVD of the year so far. There is so much for everyone no matter what area of magic you are into and I cannot wait to see what else David is coming out with in the future.

Thanks David (if you are reading this) for a great DVD

Russell Leeds
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
I also purchased this DVD at the Warwick and Leamington Spa Magic Society convention and I have to say it is one of the best DVDs I have bought. The material is stunning and not difficult to do (which is a big plus to me!) My personal favourite is the Linking Laces which is really a version of Dean's Box without the box. I have even performed it at kids shows as a quickie: "Do you want to see something impossible boys and girls?" and it went over great - amazes the adults too. As a user of Coinvexed I also found the discussion with Craig very helpful. David also gave a very useful commercial tip during the lecture itself which I shall use (not on the DVD by the way). This is not the right forum to discuss the live lecture but I must add it was one of the top lectures I have seen and included some great marketing and performance related material (also not on the DVD). If you get the chance go and see it (or book it if you are a booker).
Martin
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
Oops! The name of the society is The Leamington and Warwick Magic Society.
Martin
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1520 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I am hoping the coinvexed disscusion covers using just one coin?
I am still toying with this
borrow just one coin, mis direct, bend it, hand it back
anymore ideas on how to get the "time and space" to do the work?
ie, at tables I say, " can you all point to the richest person here tonight"
this gives plenty of time, but I am trying to come up with a line or two of patter for strolling work at reception drinks etc...
cheers again
matt
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
First, I got this in no time. Excellent service! Thanks.

There are only explanations on this DVD. It had been nice to see some spectator reactions to the effects and also how real situations are handled for some of the effects.

GLASS OF WATER PRODUCTION
Patrick Page's effect where you produce a glass of water from a spectator's jacket. This is a solid good effect.

CARD TRANSPO
A "standard" card transpo done with business cards. The method is good but I think there should go a little more thinking into whats on one of the cards. If you want to leave the spectator with your business card an X is not so memorable. I must say it is a little half baked in this respect.

DESIGN DUPLICATION
I like this theme and earlier I have found Kuff's and Salem's variations impressive. I actually worked on this some time ago and came up with a couple of variations. I don´t think the last word on this is said yet. There are a few interesting touches on this variation. What I don't like is the first switch. The peek is interesting in some situations but will have angle problems if you are surrounded.

THE BLACK EIGHT
A variation on Bannon's production of an Eight Ball. I think I stick to that as I think the build up is preparing for the surprise better when the ball comes from the card box as there is a useful moment of delay. Still I think Penn's handling of the ball is interesting.

TINE BEND SUBTLETY
Good subtlety for showing the fork. The actual effect did not do it for me as I saw the bend immediately. There may be something you could do to delay that. This is however not ment to be a stand alone effect more something in a routine.

PSYCHOLOGICAL SPOON BEND
I liked this. Good thinking for making the spoon bend in a spectator's hand.

SALT INSPECTOR
Productions and vanishes of objects, I this case a salt shaker, is bred and butter for a magician. This is a nice intro for a table worker. Good thinking on misdirection. There could be an item with the salt pouring out. David uses an empty salt shaker on the DVD. Here I really missed the spectator reactions.

LINKING LACES
This is a Paul Curry effect possibly with roots in a Stewart James effect. I do think I have seen this in an old Dean Dill video as well, but I could be wrong. I don't know about this effect. I feel it is more of a puzzle. I could be wrong. Spectator reactions would help here. Dean Dill certainly made magic of it with his box. Maybe as a quickie for kids.

CIRCLE TO THE FOURTH DIMENSION
The production of a jumbo coin here as a finale is simply beautiful. The premise of a ring to enter another dimension is interesting. I also like the beginning of this routine. The middle of it could be developed. The production of coins when the ring is laying on the table is not so convincing. I would rather use a Jay Sankey move where the you catch the coin when it bounces on the table. Or, maybe better,go for a handling in the air so you can use this beautiful rotine with no table.

V.D.A.C.C.A.W.
He he, this is a clever thing. First the card box vainshes and then the deck. Again a nice item for table workers. Easy to do. The only objection is that you need a gaffed deck and it has to compete with other gaffed decks for pocket management. It is a quicky and you can probably find other geffed decks that get your more milage. You get very helpful advice how to construct the gimmick.

COINVEXED DISCUSSION
I think this is a helpful discussion for those who own the prop.
"There is no reality, only perception."
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Thanks Guys,

I’m glad you found something of interest.

David
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
Had a quick peek at this and must say very much looking forward to giving it the time it deserves. When I have I will add a review.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1132 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Just wanted to jump in and say I really enjoyed David's DVD, it was refreshing to have a good variety of effects and not just cards! Although you don't get performances, I think in a way this can be good as it will force development of a personalised presentation and avoid the "clone" syndrome.

I particularly liked Linking Laces, the Spoon Bend and Circle to the Fourth Dimension. I'm sure everyone would find something to their taste on this DVD.
The Design Dupe was also interesting but I have my own original versions I have been doing for ages so am unlikely to use it.

David had it sent to Australia very promptly so I thank him for that.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
r1ch-oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Oxford, England
181 Posts

Profile of r1ch-oxford
Hi Guys

I brought the DVD from David and just watched it today. It is fantastic, so many ideas that I really don't know where to begin. I really enjoyed the discussion on Coinvexed at the end and I am going to try out a few of those ideas over the weekend.

Another great release by David.

Rich
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
Quote:

LINKING LACES
This is a Paul Curry effect possibly with roots in a Stewart James effect. I do think I have seen this in an old Dean Dill video as well, but I could be wrong. I don't know about this effect. I feel it is more of a puzzle. I could be wrong. Spectator reactions would help here. Dean Dill certainly made magic of it with his box. Maybe as a quickie for kids.

I think this is actually very strong magic. It is very similar to Dean Dills effect with his box but much more practical as no props are needed just a couple of laces or ropes. I saw David perform this at Blackpool right in front of me and it completely fooled me. ( Of course I didn't tell him that ) You take two laces/ropes find the middle and put the middles behind your head leaving the ends in full view. A few seconds later your able to bring the middles up over your head joined together, yet the ends have been in full view the whole time. The misdirection used is as powerful as any I've ever seen, in fact it's harder to imagine better misdirection. Which is why you could repeat this if you desired multiple times with little fear of being caught. Angles also are near perfect. I've added this in immediately to my ring on rope routine and it could be easily added into your current rope routine or done as a stand alone effect.
It's so good I can do this in the mirror and practically fool myself. If you do a rope routine get this DVD just for this and you will be very happy with your purchase before you even get to any of the other stuff. Oh one other thing to say about this effect, it's very very very simple to do. Five minutes and you will have this down.
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 10:38, matt.magicman wrote:
this gives plenty of time, but I am trying to come up with a line or two of patter for strolling work at reception drinks etc...
cheers again
matt

Only just read all the other posts and realised this question had not been addressed. Yes it does cover a one coin coin bend. If you own coinvexed you will appreciate the extra input on the routining and using of it at the end of this DVD.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1846 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2008-09-30 11:19, Ethan wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 10:38, matt.magicman wrote:
cheers again
matt

Only just read all the other posts and realised this question had not been addressed. Yes it does cover a one coin coin bend. If you own coinvexed you will appreciate the extra input on the routining and using of it at the end of this DVD.

The best thing about the discussion about Coinvexed is the person asking David the questions is SO GOOD LOOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1520 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Craig, you hunk........
how do you work the 1 coin bend?
a pm please mate will be great
cheers
matt
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
He has no clue that's why he was asking the questions Smile
Ethan
View Profile
Regular user
UK
142 Posts

Profile of Ethan
Correction.

He has no clue, that's why he was asking the questions.
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
This is a very good DVD. I haven't seen one like this in awhile that offers a mix of routines and utility moves.

You can read my review at:
http://magic.about.com/od/dvdreviews/fr/100708penn.htm

I discovered a few things that I'll be working on:

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of dp
Hi Wayne,

Great to meet you at the IBM/SAM convention and thanks for your very positive review.
Thanks also to everyone who has posted here and already ordered the DVD.

All the best.

David Penn
P.s. I will be lecturing at the Blackpool Magic Convention this year.
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
David:

I don't know if you saw my article on the Louisville convention, but I ended the story by talking about my trip home. I was in the airport and wanted to purchase a snack from a vending machine. The only small cash I had on me was a dollar with a missing corner and a bent quarter. Of course, the bent quarter was thanks to you.

You fried me with Coinvexed.

I'm currently working on your card vanish from the DVD. I think it's going to have a place in one of my card routines. Keep up the great work.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » David Penn Lecture DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL