The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dances with ropes now has it all (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-09-24 16:00, dlachance wrote:
Loved Patriotic Professor.......I havent had a chance to sit down and look at the new DVD. I sure hope Patriotic professor is in there........ Smile

Dorian

Dorian,
The Patriotic professor works exactly the same a the opening effect on the DVD. Just use three colors instead of white.
-Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of puggo
After a few techno-glitches, and some quality after sales support from Ian, I now have the 'Dances with Ropes' routine.
I have Tabary, Sanders, and Daryl. Up to now, my Fiber Optics based routine was what I used for close up work.. but 'Dances' is a real beautiful head-buster of a routine. Not hard to perform, - although I am not yet using commercially (until I get the fine detail perfected, this deserves the practice).
Well done Ian, I should be using this commercially in the next few weeks.
Want a superb, super visual, clever routine? Read the comments above, read this, watch the demo, then buy it.
Charlie
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I too just recently received Ian's updated Dances With Ropes, what great material! I too am using a some inspiration from Tabary and Sanders to combine with moves from Dances. You are right Charlie...this material deserves a well thought and well practiced routine that just screams ENTERTAINMENT! I am so looking forward to incorporating more of Ian's moves into my own commercial act. Well done AGAIN Ian! And yes, Ian's service and response time is impeccable.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2984 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Recently received the DVD and several other items from Magic Ian - all great stuff! And Ian threw in some extra stuff because he's that kind of a guy.

I fried a few Cub Scouts last week when, after giving them ropes and walking them through the classic Professor's Nightmare routine (which is in the Cub Scout magic book), I shifted to a few moves from Dances, without showing them how it was done. They were all staring at the ropes in their hands afterwards saying "what the heck!?"
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-09 11:38, John Bowlin wrote:
I too just recently received Ian's updated Dances With Ropes, what great material! I too am using a some inspiration from Tabary and Sanders to combine with moves from Dances. You are right Charlie...this material deserves a well thought and well practiced routine that just screams ENTERTAINMENT! I am so looking forward to incorporating more of Ian's moves into my own commercial act. Well done AGAIN Ian! And yes, Ian's service and response time is impeccable.

John, you mention Tabary. At the creation of my Dance with Ropes effect, I had never seen the Tabary rope routine. I did view it about a year ago and fell in love with it. Thank goodness, none of my moves were in his teachings.
I bought the DVD yesterday, as there were two moves I really wanted to learn.
-------------
So, I watched the lesson and felt fantastick for two reasons. One, the fact that Tabary starts his effect with the same secret I use for starting Dances, and second, he has an alternate ending which use a similar move that I use in my lectures. That move (Tango rope), was what I thought to be an odd handling, but when Tabary did his version I felt vindicated.
---------------
I can now see where some of the clients of mine have combined some Tabary with some of my moves as they truely compliment each other at times. Now that I have studied the video, I will be doing transitions from tabary to my Dances, so as to make it easier for some to combine some of the moves.
----------------
I also just recently bought Sanders Fiber optics, and find similarity in the two effects (just a matter of speed). However, I am in love with the Tabary routine as it completes some of the Sands moves that I have been doing for years.
-----------------
Thank you all for your kind words on Dances with Ropes, I have more rope effects in the works. Dances has sold several hundred copies so far, and it has not gone National yet.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
726 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
"not gone National yet"?

really? Wow..
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-14 00:00, yin_howe wrote:
"not gone National yet"?

really? Wow..

The ONLY buyers of this effect have been at my lecture on this (shown in Daytona, Orlando, and Tampa Florida), and on themagicCafe.com. It doesn't hit the stores til some time in March or April.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Close-up, surrounded, and with full lighting, I had the opportunity to do some walk-a-round magic for a group of 500. The partial routine of "Dances" resets itself after 6 minutes, but the effect does not look like it had a beginning or an end. I found it to be a perfect routine for walk-a-round or busking. I worked the crowd with the effect for over a half an hour and it never looked repetitive. The audience could drop in or leave at any time, or I could stop and then keep going from virtually any point of the routine.
I was also able to branch out into some George Sands methods, Garcia moves, then go back into "Dances" with flawless transitions. This is getting me really pumped up into making a video of the walk-a-round. What was cool, was that it was professor's nightmare on steroids. I started with familiar ground for layman and blew the roof off the place with the new methods.
I actually ruined the gimmicks and made an un-interrupted transition into an un-gimmicked version of the effect. The Dances effect was designed for parlour or stage and now I am confident of a solid close-up effect.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Ian, I'm looking around for rope tricks for on the street. I want the rope/s to be examinable, and ungaffed. Any suggestions?
The presentation makes the magic.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
What was first a request on Magiccafe, worked out to be a solution. In practice, I use linking ropes. Some of the moves I do are extreme for the basic apparatus. During the surrounded walk-around, my linking ropes gimmick became useless. I then reverted to the un-gimmicked routine I worked out so I had been prepared. To those of you who have my DVD, I include the ungimmicked method on the back of the DVD.

The great part is, the routine consists of several parts which can be combined or separated or switched around. THAT was why I could continue the routine. The "Dances with Ropes" like any dance, has steps. The opening is a series of three different methods for Professors nightmare, and all methods are ungimmicked. Then there is a transition from nightmare to three equal length ropes which stay equal. Then one of the ropes vanish and winds up in the pocket. In essence you have three equal ropes, that change to two equal ropes, then you retrieve a third rope from the pocket.

Next, you do linking ropes (standard) or ungimmicked (degree of difficulty), but it looks identical to an audience. At the end of linking ropes, you place one of the equal ropes in the pocket leaving you with two equal ropes. They instantly become three equal ropes again WHILE the spectators watch. Then the ropes go back to small, medium and long.

You are completely reset at that point and can do it again. The break in the routine, so that you can make a crowd transition, can be at any one of four places in the routine. Each segment can be its own start point.
----------
Lastly, at one point in the routine, you can segway into Fiber Optics, or Sandsational, or a Tabary move or two, then seamlessly go back to "Dances".
All of the above can be done with or with the gimmick.
------------
There is one part, however, that really is too tough to expect anyone to do without the gimmick (but it can be done), that is the routine on the DVD that goes from the nightmare to three equal length of rope that can be shown separate. That method requires the linking ropes which eliminates the need to find the third rope in the pocket. The cool thing is, that you do that method at the start of your routine, then on the "repeat" of the set, the "start" will look similar but use the pocket method. Those of you who have the effect will understand this more clearly.

If anyone is going to Fab magic in August, I decided to do the ungimmicked version during the busking street event.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Ian-

Just quick thanks and kudos for your DVD. I have shied from the gimmicked rope, but your handling (on this and other things) is so creative and sure-fire that I am putting it into my act asap. Combining with an idea I got from either Sanders or Tabary, I end up with one long rope, completely examinable! Very Nice- thanks again!

Regards,

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-04-20 12:27, mandarin wrote:
Ian-

Just quick thanks and kudos for your DVD. I have shied from the gimmicked rope, but your handling (on this and other things) is so creative and sure-fire that I am putting it into my act asap. Combining with an idea I got from either Sanders or Tabary, I end up with one long rope, completely examinable! Very Nice- thanks again!

Regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim,
The premise of a one-rope effect is entirely possible with "Dances". You can not only end with one rope very easily by adding a compliation of some simple moves, but, you can start with one rope as well. That was not the intent of "Dances". As all of my effects, I prefer to include only the original moves on my DVD and suggest that you can add moves from Tabary as ethics dictate that I not teach the the transition to other artists work.
I found that "Dances with Ropes" techniques fulfill the puzzle between many other rope routines. I have used the moves from "4 nightmares" from Japan, Hen Fetsch "Quadropelets", and "Endless rope" (which is really a Sands effect).
If you do Tabary, Sanders, Sands, and some Daryl effects, my "Dances" can compliment those effects without duplication of their methods.
I feel, that "Dances" stands up on its own, of course, but it also allows you to improvise and think on your feet, as it recognizes transition points to branch off into complimentary moves and then back again.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Ian handles rope with a naturalness, which comes only from understanding rope work and its subtle nuances. He is one of the most creative rope workers I know today. It is a delight to watch him present his routined effects.
Dances With Ropes is a must have DVD

Kotah
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This one is a "Must Have"!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Well, I am preparing a final cut release of my Dances with Ropes for National distribution. The last segment takes some elements of the main routine and uses un-gimmicked rope to achieve a very similar effect.
Once the original effects are learned, this last treatises will be very easy to learn. I have done this for magic clubs, and for walk-around and have the spectators handle the ropes before, after and during the effect.
Hope you like it, please comment on the site. Anyone who has the original "Dances", please contact me for the "update download".

http://magicians.podbean.com/dances-with-rope/ordinary-rope/
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8506 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have been chatting with Ian and comparing our approaches to doing a complete routine based on ropes. Buy his first -- I'll make learning mine easier when you get it later ;-)

Some new ways of doing old things -- pretty simple, heh?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I just got done with the editing of the newest version. Man, do I hate to give up the older footage but the new stuff was shot in super clear video. Post production was extremely tough.
Murphys magic will be getting copies by the end of the month.
Thanks to all for the success of this item. Lots of Euro buyers, don't know why.
Over half of what I sold went to every country, it just amazes me.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ian,

My copy is here on my desk. I can see why it appeals to magicians outside the USA. It is extremely visual magic very well suited to people who can't depend on a common language except sight to communicate what's going on.

You know that magic is not an American invention! We are certainly "Johnny come latelies" to magic. Most cultures enjoyed it many centuries before the western world was discovered. They did not give up their magicians just because some people moved west. A good product sells there too. Often, it even sell better there. I have learned it with Silk to Egg and Walk-Around Silk to Egg.

Keep up the good work. We are looking forward to your lecture in Colon, MI in August. The time is nearly here.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
786 Posts

Profile of tedski
This new segment looks fantastic - great stuff!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am pleased with Dances With The Rope. I purchased it last year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Dances with ropes now has it all (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL