The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Handicap Chick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Hello guys, I've got a situation here at home which I need advice about. Recently, I had two chicks that hatched, but one of them died within a few hours. The other has been surviving and doing fine. Until recently, when I noticed, the chick's right foot does not fold in like most bird's feet. Also, the toes are very tangled up and does not seem well formed. The dove seems fine and the parents are still feeding it but not giving it the same attention they used to give their other chicks. Of course the best course of action now is to see a vet but what do you think will happen? Will it survive??

http://bp2.blogger.com/_KqYY3Q60G-o/SGxL......0094.JPG
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I think he will survive, but a magic career, I don't think so.
Poor little chick! With the right care will survive!
All the best,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Thanks man. But anyone had experience with this?
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hey Kyle, that is called a Splayed leg. Unfortunately, this chick will most likely not survive. The reason is that there is no way it is going to be able to perch, and will constantly sit on its belly and develop "bed sores". I have had a few of these happen, and all never survived past 6 weeks. For future breeding, to correct this issue with having chicks like this, I would suggest a smaller nesting bowl with a more solid base. The reason the leg splayed is because the chick was unable to 'get a grip' on the surface beneath it to be able to push up its own weight, which in turn gives it the leg strength. Too wide an area for the little chicks is not recommended. It can be a hard lesson to learn, but will breed for stronger and healthier doves.
The parents of the chick are ignoring it because they know it won't survive. Sorry to break that news to you, though, but , again, I have been through this a few times. At least you know the parents are healthy, and they will try again.
Good luck!

-Alpha
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Thanks thomas! I'll hope 4 the best
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Greetings Kyle ,

Check this website to know more :
http://www.cagenbird.com/splayed_leg.htm
http://www.geocities.com/lizupatree/splayedlegs.html

My aunty has a dove with her. It has splayed feet too. It is still surviving till now.4 months. Lets put it this way :

1. If you are thinking of keeping it for performance, then this bird is not going to be your cup of tea.

2. If you are thinking of keeping it as your pet , then you must give it a lot of attention this bird will not be able to perch and will be crawling most of the time. Please take it out and start hand-feeding - Kaytee formulae which can be bought at any bird shop.

I also once heard from a Avian expert that splayed feet can be cured by vets using special sticks. Yjere is Greater success rate if the condition is identified and treated while the bird is still early in development. Surgical intervention may be required in severe cases or in older birds that have nearly completed growth.

Good Luck to you.

Best Regards
Magic is the residue of pre-design fantasies.
Come into my Fantasy www.chandranmagic.com
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Hey Chandran,

Thanks for the effort. I've added braces to her feet. Only time will tell now.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I jus got back from the vet. He's put her to sleep. Well, her legs are beyond treatment... RIP baby dove
paradize
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
398 Posts

Profile of paradize
Dun worry Kyle.All is for good.
God Bless.
Magic is the residue of pre-design fantasies.
Come into my Fantasy www.chandranmagic.com
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Thank you Chan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Handicap Chick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL