We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Supreme Court's other recent decision. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
To me the interesting paradox is that if they are wanting proportionate punishment then the punishment would have to be very cruel Smile
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2454 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I have no brief for the criminals in this instance - but if you put emotions aside, you can surely see that one has to be very careful with what you attach the death penalty to.

We may not like it at all when something so vile is determined to be "on the wrong side of the line" but at least the line is drawn ... remember when people were being executed for a lot less?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 23:07, rossmacrae wrote:
I have no brief for the criminals in this instance - but if you put emotions aside, you can surely see that one has to be very careful with what you attach the death penalty to.

We may not like it at all when something so vile is determined to be "on the wrong side of the line" but at least the line is drawn ... remember when people were being executed for a lot less?

I agree, Ross, and I'm opposed to the death penalty for anything other than first degree murder.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 14:05, Doug Higley wrote:

We're screwed...might as well deal with it.

You're just now realizing that? We've been screwed since 2000! Smile
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Personally I haven't been screwed, so it doesn't count as a WE. I'll join the rest of you screwed ones this next election.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
CHILD RAPE!
Well, there are two words guaranteed to get everyone's attention.
It's also pretty hard to argue that a CHILD RAPIST doesn't deserve evrything society can do to him.
Let's look at this a little closer.
Let's say 28 year old Joe Doakes is tipping a few at the "Dew Drop Inn" some Friday at Happy Hour, and he happens to notice Susie Creamcheese halfway down the bar, dressed in boy-cut shorts and a tube top with two reflectors on it, partying, flirting, and having a great time. Joe buys Susie a drink, one leads to two, and they end up down the road at the "No-Tell Motel".
The next day, Joe is arrested, after Susie, who is 15 and a half and was using her sister's ID at the bar, gets home and tells her parents where she spent the night.
Joe protests that the sex was consentual.
He's wrong. Susie, at 15, can't give consent. She is a child. Joe is a CHILD RAPIST! If his state has a statute allowing for the death penalty in CHILD RAPE cases, Joe is eligible.
"How ridiculous!" some might say. "The death penalty is only there for the most heinous cases, not something like this!"
Maybe. I'd hate to be Joe if he draws Judge Gloria Steinem and a jury of Berkeley "Women's Studies" majors.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-07-04 14:00, DStachowiak wrote:
I'd hate to be Joe if he draws Judge Gloria Steinem and a jury of Berkeley "Women's Studies" majors.

No, Joe probably will have a pool of priests available for jury duty..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 13:03, Doug Higley wrote:
Ah the lefty court. Get prepared for the Obamoron appointments...not that any could be more disgusting than this decision...wait, I take that back...they'll find one.

Is this really a "lefty" court? I thought most of the lefties were retired or dead. Scalia, Roberts, Thomas etc.? Are we looking at the same court?

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects......tro.html

Look at the section entitled "the political makeup of the current court" in the lower right portion of the web page.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-07-05 01:03, foolsnobody wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 13:03, Doug Higley wrote:
Ah the lefty court. Get prepared for the Obamoron appointments...not that any could be more disgusting than this decision...wait, I take that back...they'll find one.

Is this really a "lefty" court? I thought most of the lefties were retired or dead. Scalia, Roberts, Thomas etc.? Are we looking at the same court?

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects......tro.html

Look at the section entitled "the political makeup of the current court" in the lower right portion of the web page.

It's a pretty even court. Very slightly conservative. The two recent retires were conserative (Rehnquist) and something in between moderate & conservative (O'Connor). The Bush appointees make that about a wash. Kennedy is now the swing vote (formerly O'Connor). He's on the conservative side, but not by much, and has sided with the liberals in some big cases, most notably recently the Kelo eminent domain case.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Or, if you're keeping score at home...

Roberts (Bush II): conservative
Stevens (Ford): liberal
Scalia (Reagan): conservative
Kennedy (Reagan): conservative (slightly)
Souter (Bush I): liberal
Thomas (Bush I): conservative
Ginsburg (Clinton): liberal
Breyer (Clinton): liberal
Alito (Bush II): conservative

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2454 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I've always found it interesting that even the nominees we liberals fear most seem to acquire some mighty good sense once they're confirmed.

There are still differences of opinion, of course, and shades of interpretation, but overall many justices seem to gain remarkable good sense once they take their seat on the court.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
"I've always found it interesting that even the nominees we liberals fear most seem to acquire some mighty good sense once they're confirmed."

Perhaps their fair minded judgement was why they were selected in the first place.
POOF!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2454 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Not to hear some of the pundits carry on ... "President [fill in the blank] is trying to stack the court with [choose one: liberals/conservatives] to totally control the course of thei court's decisions for years."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The only justice I remember who was EXPECTED to be moderate was Souter.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Supreme Court's other recent decision. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL