The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Miracle Move Mentalism Book Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
I have tried posting in the Workers Section but nobody could help. As it is down as a Mentalism book, I am trying here. I am after one effect in the book and I have put a description of this below. Does anybody know where I can buy the book. If not,I wonder if this effect is a popular one like, say, ACAAN or Open Prediction? That is to say it has many versions by many magicians? Has anybody seen the effect below under a different name or by a different magician? ANY help at all will be greatly appreciated. It seems an amazing effect.
:)

MIRACLE MOVE(?)
But years ago I was with a group who were all showing each other the latest knuckle-busting moves and I was asked to do something. I begged off for several minutes, but eventually I decided to do the Miracle Move. It was kinda like the old ad, "When I sat down at the piano, they all laughed, until I started playing."
I had someone shuffle his own cards, cut them, and look at the cut-to card. He replaced the card and reassembled the deck. Then he shuffled again. I held out my hand for the deck and he asked if he could shuffle again. So I let him shuffle. Then he handed the deck to someone else and he shuffled. At this point everyone started chuckling. They thought I was sunk or pulling their legs. Practically everyone at the table shuffled those cards. Finally, the deck was place in front of me. I cut them once or twice, then dealt the top card face down onto the table. I asked for the name of the card. Everyone laughed, until I said, "Turn it over." Their jaws hit the floor when he turned it over and it was the card he'd named.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I'll PM you.
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 14:09, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I'll PM you.

I'm curious (and I'm interested to this effect)...
What would a real mindreader do?
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 14:26, ipe wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 14:09, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I'll PM you.

I'm curious (and I'm interested to this effect)...

Who wouldn't be?
I'm surprised this topic isn't on FIRE
:)
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Teejay curious around here too Smile
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
So... where is it published?
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I have no idea if it's still available but what you're speaking of, I believe, is Irv Weiner's Material.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Thanks for the tip Patrick and google found - http://www.mrfingers.org/

At this website is mentioned "Miracle Move Mentalism"
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I wonder if there will be a post-apocalyptic society who worships Google?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-07-05 23:17, JohnWells wrote:
I wonder if there will be a post-apocalyptic society who worships Google?

If so, they will be more wayward than we are. Smile

Even though Irv had an effect/move that used the name used in the title of this thread, I cannot remember ever having seen him perform the effect described here.

Thank you for the link, it is hard to believe that he has been gone for almost 9 years.

Tony
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Tony commented:
Quote:
Even though Irv had an effect/move that used the name used in the title of this thread, I cannot remember ever having seen him perform the effect described here.

I saw Irv perform this a couple of times at PEA conventions, back before he got ill. Like much of what he did, it used simple methodology combined with superb presentation skills to totally bamboozle folks (in this example, a bunch of very informed professional entertainers).

The first (two-page) "Miracle Move" manuscript was published back in 1952, went through three printings, and was taken off the market in 1955. Irv then reissued it in 1981 as "Miracle Move Mentalism" (expanded to six pages, and indicative of his transition to more mentalism in his later years).

Irv ("Mr. Fingers") was my principal mystery entertainer hero; like Tony, I miss him greatly. Some enterprising magical biographer could put together one heck of a book on his life and art.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Doug:

I was away for the 80s to the mid 90s. (Government work, not jail, I know some were thinking it Smile ) that could be why I didn't see it.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Miracle Move Mentalism Book Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL