The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kards for Kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
My newest e-book, Kards for Kids, is nearing completion. I've announced this in the e-book section, but I'm not sure how many of the childrens' performers out there frequent that thread, so I thought I would include an announcement on this board as well. The contents are listed below:

Kards for Kids

o Dogs Playing Poker
o Monkey Business
o P.B.& J. Sandwich
o The Emperor's New Clothes
o Wabbit Season
o Mickey Moose
o Creepy Crawlers
o I See London, I See France...
o Panda-monium
o The Chronicles of Card-nia
o Added Bonus: Guide to printing your own custom gaff cards

As with all of my e-books, you can purchase the entire volume or pick and choose individual effects.

For descriptions of the effects, check out the website.

http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob

My first two e-books have received positive reviews from numerous performers. I hope to get this e-book reviewed in an upcoming Kidabra Journal.

Thanks!

Bob
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Several noted magicians have advised me that I should publish my work as print books instead of just e-books. Others have also suggested that I produce already made-up effects to sell rather than just the instructions for you to make them.

I've gotten to the point where I think I am going to follow that advice. I knew all along it was good advice, but I've just been too busy to seriously consider it.

What do all of you think? I'm planning to charge $10-15 for each effect with printed instructions and all the neccesary cards/props provided. I would still offer the electronic versions for $5 each, so if there are some "do it yourself" types out there who just want to make your own, you can save some money.

I just want to gauge interest in these kinds of effects before I dive headlong into expanding my horizons. I don't want to make up 1000 and then find out that there's little interest or WORSE, make up only a dozen and suddenly get swamped with 200+ orders!

By the way, many of the effects in both "I Hate Card Tricks" and "I STILL Hate Card Tricks" also go over great for children. I'm looking into having those printed and offering ready-made versions of most of those effects as well.

Thanks.

Bob
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Great news, Bob. Your tricks are gold. I've downloaded several and hope to get around to making them soon (or buying them from you directly, which will save me some work at Kinko's . . .). Thanks for your attention to card tricks for kids, a neglected art. Love Mickey Moose, the Bathing Mummies, "I see England, I see France . .. " and the lot. Keep 'em coming man.

Todd
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I'm not sure I understand. Are these routines that require custom made cards that are not provided? thanks
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Currently, all of my effects are only available as e-books (which include detailed instructions on how to make the custom cards yourself).

However, several people have recommended that I offer the effects as physical items with cards and I'm in the process of adding that option.

For those who are "do it yourself" savvy, they can get just the instructions as an e-book and save money. Some prefer to have a printed book in their hands and I will soon be offering this as well.

The last group is those who want to just buy the effect ready to perform. As I said, I'm in the process of getting these ready for release. So, if you are NOT interested in making up your own cards, you will be able to buy the effects with the cards included.

Based on a customer's suggestion, I'm also considering offering "refill packs" of select gaff cards. This is only necessary if you CHOOSE to give away the cards as souvenirs. If you don't give them away, then you won't need to purchase refills. The methods for my effects don't "use up" the custom cards.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Many people have requested that I release my e-books in print. You asked for it, you got it!

I'm proud to announce that I am now offering The "I Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Tricks and The "I STILL Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Tricks as printed books!

The "I Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Tricks (foreword by Marty "Martini" Grams)

o The Divided Queen
o The Zig-Zag Queen
o The Mismade Queen
o The Spiked Queen/Assistant's Revenge
o The Disembodied Prince
o The Kremated King
o Harry & Bess
o Jack B. Nimble
o The Kompressed King
o Twisted Sister
o Bonus Effect: The X-ray King

The "I STILL Hate Card Tricks" Book of Card Tricks (foreword by Martin Lewis)

o The Origami Queen
o In Over His Head
o Crystal Card Casket
o The Geometric Queen
o Royal Interlude
o Jack B. Quick
o The Fifth Beatle
o A Connecticut Yankee
o TBA (Totally Blown Away)
o Girls Gone Wild!
o Bonus Effect: Totally Wild Jokers

Kards for Kids is nearing completion (individual effects are available now in .pdf format). Once that book is complete, it will also be available in both print and .pdf formats.

Kards for Kids

o Dogs Playing Poker
o Monkey Business
o P.B.& J. Sandwich
o Wabbit Season
o Mickey Moose
o Creepy Crawlers
o Panda-monium
o The Chronicles of Card-nia

Cost of the books is $39.99 (or you can get the .pdf version for only $29.99).
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 11:20, MoonRazor wrote:
I'm not sure I understand. Are these routines that require custom made cards that are not provided? thanks

Many of the effects are now available ready-made with all the cards included. If you enjoy "do it yourself" projects, you can still purchase just the .pdf's and make the cards yourself.

Also, the newest effect, "Creepy Crawlers" is now available. Visit the website for more information.

http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob/KIDS00a_TOC.htm
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
872 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Magicbob,

Can these effects be adapted to 6" x 9" cards?

For instance, the DOGS PLAYING POKER effect - will I be able to do the required moves with the larger size cards?

Thanks,
Marqus
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1344 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Marqus is not only a cardman, he's a MINDREADER! That was my question. I do mostly stage work, and have avoided card tricks because of mostly church shows, and also because they just aren't effective to anyone off the stage. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can be adapted to larger cards.

Steve
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I just got several of these from MagicBob,

o Mickey Moose

The card tricks are creative and kid-friendly, and Bob bends over backward to please. I will put into show soon, and will report more then. But it's great to finally see some clever card tricks that do not insult kids' intelligence, which are not "boring" tricks with adult cards (that's how kids view playing cards these days), and which speak to their world.

Kudos to MagicBob.

Todd
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I've made 4"x6" sets for several of the effects and they work fine. A few of these could be done with even larger cards, but I think you might run into trouble accomplishing some of them with stage sized cards. Although not difficult, they are not completely without sleights. One or two of them I recommend poker size because the larger cards are a bit unwieldy to do the sleights. I'm sure you could adapt some of them. For example, I've used stands to hold jumbo cards instead of displaying them fanned in my hand.

For the most part, if you can do basic sleights (e.g. Double lifts, block turn overs, Elmsley counts, Hamman counts,and the like) with the size cards you desire, then you should be in good shape.

If you have a question about a specific effect, please send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer it. Someone asked about Dogs Playing Poker above. That effect utilizes just about every sleight I listed above at some point. I find the Hamman Count difficult with anything larger than 4"x6" cards, but maybe you know of alternate methods to perform that sleight (and others like it) with supersized cards.

Please excuse any typos in this post. I'm traveling and sending via blackberry. I hate typing with my thumbs, but it beats not having any internet access.

P.S. The last few effects are near completion. For the do it yourselfers who want to buy the book or .pdf e-book version, that option will be available soon. You can also purchase most of these with the cards already made up for you. I'm in the process of submitting them to Kidabra for review.

Also, I've had a few conversations with someone (who shall remain nameless at the moment) about writing the foreword. I'll make an announcement once that's been finalized.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
872 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Thanks for the info & clearing up the larger cards question. I think that I would have to come up with a alternate handling if I purchased the DOGS PLAYING POKER.

Thanks again,
Marqus
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Some movie demo's like Silly Billy did would be great and quite a sales tool I suspect.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might consider The Three Little Pigs, which I just reduced from stage size-to pocket sized for The Wizards' Journal #16. But in that revision, I came up with a better way of using the three houses, which you might consider making three dog houses (or cat houses, if you like that sort of humor) and then coming up with a dogs playing poker, or sniffing around a hydrant, or whatever ending. Work it out in minitature, and then biggie-size it for stage. The handling has always been easy with either small or large size cards.

http://www.magicnook.com/WIZj16/WIZ16-08ThreePigsPocket.htm
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Donald the Average
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Donald the Average
I would like to purchase your Kards for Kids book in pdf format. Is it available yet ?

I've been wrestling with trying to print my own designs (via inkjet) for quite while now without success. If you've solved this problem I would be over the moon !
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
I'm working on the getting the last two effects written up, photographed, etc.

Currently, most of the individual effects are available. But, if anyone would like to "pre-order" the complete book, please PM or e-mail me and I'll make arrangements with you.

If you pre-order, I'll send you the eight completed effects right away. I'll automatically send you the last two (I'm projecting one will be done next week and the other before Thanksgiving) as they are released. I'll also compile the individual effects into a single .pdf for the completed book and send that upon completion.

Also, you get a big discount for ordering the complete book, which actually makes it less expensive to get all ten effects than to order six or more of them individually.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1728 Posts

Profile of wally
Wanted new set of 3 little pigs trick for under 5s here in uk.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
There is a version of "Three Little Pigs" on the Magic Nook, which hosts my material.

It's available here... http://www.magicnook.com/WIZj16/WIZ16-08ThreePigsPocket.htm

But I can't take credit for this one... it's one of Professor Spellbinder's effects in The Wizard's Journal.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Concerning the original topic of this thread... I've added two additional effects to the book and I'm in the process of finishing up photography, proofing, etc. for the final effect. So, the completed e-book (printed version will also be available) should be done by the end of October or early November.
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I have bought several of magicbob's tricks from his ebook. As I'm not good at making gimmicked cards, I bought the tricks ready-made with instructions. They're excellent and well-routined with great appeal for kids (and adults!). I bought Monkey Busiiness, PBJ Sandwich and my personal favorite - the King's New Clothes!

I found magicbob to be very courteous, helpful and professional in his business dealings! My highest recommendations!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kards for Kids (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL