The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » If I could get one gimmick... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
[ got my vote too....

the best thing in coin magic you could get

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
krintz
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of krintz
Quote:
On 2008-07-05 09:22, holo wrote:
What kind of shells are in a hopping half??

A Kennedy half, and English penny.
Jeff O
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of Jeff O
Definitely an E]. There is so much one can do with it: transpositions, color changes,
vanishes. . .

P.S. (Rannie)
An expanded shell works fine as a hopping half over a copper silver coin.
holo
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of holo
Hmm, looks like a shell would be better for me at the moment since I don't have any copper coins.. yet. I want to make sure I really am into coins before I buy any more coins
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2008-07-05 15:37, Jeff O wrote:
Definitely an E]. There is so much one can do with it: transpositions, color changes,
vanishes. . .

P.S. (Rannie)
An expanded shell works fine as a hopping half over a copper silver coin.

Yes Jeff I do have an e[ and a c/s routine that I have been doing for some years now. The problem with my old HH set is that the [s are not expanded. Time to upgrade my HH. I think its a great set to have especially with the way Johnson makes them now.

Thanks!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
holo
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of holo
Looks, like a shell is winning even tho MB is trying to convince me to get a c/s, but I don't have any copper coins like I said before. can many effects me accomplished with a c/s without matching coppers??
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
English pennies are probably around 25 cents apiece from a coin shop. So don't let that hold you back on either the C/S or the hopping half set. (Also, there is something about a copper coin that makes it a tad more exotic.)
holo
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of holo
Yeah, but in the end, I have decided to buy whatever David Roth recommends
bigtyme
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of bigtyme
In the end it boils down to what are you hoping to achieve? I think when you can answer that you'll be able to better decide on the gimmick.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I all ways Have People Ask me what is the best Trick?and I always say The best trick for Who??? And What do you want to Achieve? And also Who are you, And what do you do? There Is No ONE Right answer!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
krintz
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of krintz
Hopping Halves comes with a real copper coin, as well as the gaffs (the ['s AND a C/S nesting coin). There is no better deal around.
I've bought a bunch of gaffs over that last year, and I don't regret a single one. All told, it came to a few hundred bucks at most.
But, for anyone who's reading this, and is just starting out, get Johnson's Hopping Halves. 60 bucks or so, for SO much!
And... always check here in the 'tricks and effects for sale or trade' forum, and E-bay. If you are patient, you can save amazing amounts of dough.
Krintz
holo
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of holo
Hopping halves do look cool but what is the effect??
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Pick up a copy of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and decide for yourself.

If a magic store is near you, have them demo some coin effects for you. Good luck.
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Quote:
On 2008-07-06 01:38, David Neighbors wrote:
Yea I all ways Have People Ask me what is the best Trick?and I always say The best trick for Who??? And What do you want to Achieve? And also Who are you, And what do you do? There Is No ONE Right answer!

Dave has given you some of the best advice for a new magician. Most of us had to learn that lesson the hard way.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Quote:
On 2008-07-06 10:10, holo wrote:
Hopping halves do look cool but what is the effect??

There are many routines with the hopping halves, let alone countless tricks you can do with the gaffs included. The most common routine I’ve seen would be something along the lines of “This trick uses two coins a BP and a HD if I take the half dollar and put it into my pocket how many coins are in my hand?" “That’s right two coins" Now this repeats itself a couple times switching between coins and in the end you are left clean.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
jcvelbar
View Profile
New user
South Florida
50 Posts

Profile of jcvelbar
I will add my vote the the Hopping Half as well, since it includes such a versatile combination of basic gaffs that have had so many routines created for it that you can go for quite a while before you exhaust the need to expand your gaffs. So many masters (Roth, Ammar, Hooser, etc.) has covered the assorted gaffs that encompass the HH, that you will not run out of material.

As far as which set to get, I have had a clad Johnson set for 25 years, and recently received a 64 Kennedy set directly from them if you deal in silver. (They are not always in stock in the silver, so contact them.) A great deal if you do not want to spend the $$$ for the custom (Lassen/Schoolcraft) sets.

Good luck.
holo
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of holo
Siunds god guys thanks for the advice
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Quote:
On 2008-07-06 22:57, jcvelbar wrote:

As far as which set to get, I have had a clad Johnson set for 25 years, and recently received a 64 Kennedy set directly from them if you deal in silver. (They are not always in stock in the silver, so contact them.) A great deal if you do not want to spend the $$$ for the custom (Lassen/Schoolcraft) sets.

Good luck.

I agree Johnson Gaffs are great for the money, don't waist your time with cheaper ones.
<BR>
mimo67
View Profile
Veteran user
France
322 Posts

Profile of mimo67
I invested too in two half dollar Johnson shells, they're great indeed, but not as shiny as the real coins + obviously expanded, so if a spec is really near the performer I think the differences could be easily noticed, isn't it ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Get a shell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » If I could get one gimmick... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL