The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Jw grip and nowhere palm (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nike103103
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of nike103103
I really like the jw grip but I really need to brush up on my technique. I was shown how to do it from a magician friend awhile ago before I really got into coins. Where is a good source to learn how to do it the proper way? I want to master the grip, for example doing a retention vanish and getting the coin into the grip. Also, I hear a lot of people talk about the "nowhere palm". Is there a video that anyone knows that I could see the palm in action? I am not looking for the method but rather how it looks to a spectator so I can see if it's something I would like to learn. Thank you in advanced
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
Check out SH=hoot & Apollo's 'Cultural Exchange' DVD. They give you a great lesson on the JW Grip and lots of amazing applications. The routines using the grip are excellent, like Shoot's 'Neo Purse Frame', and the 'Nabil Change'. And the rest of the DVD is full of some really cool walk-around card and coin magic. Hands down this is one of my favorite DVDs ever.

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Ben is giving you a good tip here on this, Shoot is a master at the move and uses it a lot to do some amazing things.

On another note, it really isn't that difficult a thing to do and many people use it effectively here and in some wonderful routines. I do myself. Smile

Oh and welcome to the Café. Smile -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
nike103103
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of nike103103
Quote:
On 2008-07-04 10:10, Mb217 wrote:
Ben is giving you a good tip here on this, Shoot is a master at the move and uses it a lot to do some amazing things.

On another note, it really isn't that difficult a thing to do and many people use it effectively here and in some wonderful routines. I do myself. Smile

Oh and welcome to the Café. Smile -Mb

Yes thanks Ben for directing me to that video. I just got done watching some videos of Shoot on youtube and that guy is really good. I know how the move is done and I can do it(sometimes) but I have a few kinks to work out. Ummmm I don't want to say to much here but would it be ok for me to send someone a pm and maybe someone here could help me work out the kinks? Or do you think I should just go ahead and get the dvd? I am really only interested in perfecting this particular move. Again thanks.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
It’s probably useful to point out that you shouldn’t think this concealment is any better or worse than other concealments. Latta’s “nowhere palm” and the Jimmy Wilson’s grip are popular with newbie magicians (and the folks who sell stuff to newbie magicians) because they are unconventional concealments. But for laymen, they’re not better than finger palm or classic palm, and more angle sensitive than either of them.

In his groundbreaking book COINMAGIC Richard Kaufman writes about how expert coin workers are adept at moving a coin among different concealments during the course of other actions. Learn to structure routines so that the coin you want to hide is hidden in motion and you’ll have a tool that is much more powerful than the “JW grip.”

And your hands won’t look like you’re posing…
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Again, good advice here from WSD...Smile As to who you might check with for the kind of assistance you're looking for specifically, check with The Godfather Vinny here on the Café, "Vinsmagic." PM him, he will help you out on this one. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Homer Liwag's CoinTwo DVD is actually a great source for both of those moves. The routines (both gimmicked and non-gimmicked) are both fairly advanced, but he does go into great detail of both sleights in the "finesse" section of each routine (JW for the gimmicked, nowhere palm for ungimmicked).
elliotcarver
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of elliotcarver
The Jimmy Wilson grip is beautiful in my opinion.
But I would advice to use it the way Homer Liwag uses it. He thinks both hands should be in motion and you shouldn't pose or hide a coin from someone's eye-view.

But my problem is: THE ANGLES!
Everybody, tell me if you use it a lot and how do you cover your angles?

Elliot
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I use it a bit and you just have to use it straight-on, and but for a moment or so within a routine. As long as specs are in front of you, they can't see it and when you produce a coin from it or vanish a coin, it seemingly it is quite effective. I think it is over-used somewhat but when used in moderation it's a killer move and certainly does the job in many an effect.

nike103103
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of nike103103
Quote:
On 2008-07-04 15:34, wsduncan wrote:
It’s probably useful to point out that you shouldn’t think this concealment is any better or worse than other concealments. Latta’s “nowhere palm” and the Jimmy Wilson’s grip are popular with newbie magicians (and the folks who sell stuff to newbie magicians) because they are unconventional concealments. But for laymen, they’re not better than finger palm or classic palm, and more angle sensitive than either of them.

In his groundbreaking book COINMAGIC Richard Kaufman writes about how expert coin workers are adept at moving a coin among different concealments during the course of other actions. Learn to structure routines so that the coin you want to hide is hidden in motion and you’ll have a tool that is much more powerful than the “JW grip.”

I am not a "newbie" magician. I have been doin magic since I was 10 and I am now 20. I am just fairly new to taking coin work seriously. Well I should say new to using coin routines and not just vanishes. I have what I believe an awesome classic palm. When at work I will type while having a coin in classic pretty much all day for practice. I just really like how deceiving the move is and want to learn it correctly. I feel you can never know too many sleights haha!! And the nowhere palm, I don't even know what it looks like in action but hear a lot of people talking about it and just want to see it done from a spectator's point of view is all. Again thanks for all the helpful responses!!!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Gary Kurtz has some work using Geoff Latta's Nowhere Palm on his videos.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
nike103103
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of nike103103
Quote:
On 2008-07-04 22:03, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Gary Kurtz has some work using Geoff Latta's Nowhere Palm on his videos.

Thanks I will check him out. I will see if I can find a performance of him on the net somewhere cuz I am just curious on how it looks.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD series. You got new moves from nowhere palm. New uses of JW grip. 4 DVD's already out, three more out in two weeks. Take a look.
http://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Re: JW
I think Coin2 has the right idea. Its use in that routine is brief.
You get into it while attention is on the other hand. It's used briefly and then right into something else.

Makes a lot of sense. Homer's thoughts on the JW seem to clash with some of the Cultural Exchange displays/uses of the JW.

Watch, listen and judge for yourself.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2008, wsduncan wrote:

If that's so, then why do those who are not "newbies" use the JW Grip instead of fp, or cp? My thoughts are that it is a very smart concealment which resembles a natural action audience members would be familiar with and relate to, while giving a very strong display of an otherwise "empty hand". I reference its use in spellbound here. ie while openly displaying a coin. I'm aware one can get a nice view of an empty hand using fp but does anyone here think that fp or cp would provide a stronger in motion display than JW grip? I feel, remembering my laymen perspective a little while back, that the JW grip is very strong.

*If this needs moving to Secret Sessions, I'm all for that. Smile
Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2008, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
Re: JW
I think Coin2 has the right idea. Its use in that routine is brief.
You get into it while attention is on the other hand. It's used briefly and then right into something else.

Makes a lot of sense. Homer's thoughts on the JW seem to clash with some of the Cultural Exchange displays/uses of the JW.

Watch, listen and judge for yourself.

I agree with Homer's observations on JW use rather than the somewhat "showcasing movements" of the concealment present in Cultural Exchange. While obviously there are times and places for each application, and no one is going to suggest Apollo of Shoot are not handling it THE correct way. It struck me as though Homer was referring to Apollo and Shoot when he offered his comments.

As the other member said, JW or Nowhere are no better from the point of view of someone not in the know. Both offer varying degrees of "openness" in displaying the hands. They are great options to have, but far from the end-all be-all. They occur to me as kind of fad moves.

JW is so prevalent that there have been Spider Vanish-esq handlings which prey on those recognizing JW positioning. Shoot has alternative Whither sequences, Philippe Bougard has another, as well Eric Jones has some among others.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Kainoa Harbottles stuff has some cool stuff with nowhere palm, such as a nice click pass. Coins on Edge if I remember correctly
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
122 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2008, wsduncan wrote:

Wsduncan that last line is something I have been struggling with recently. Things like the JW grip and Homer Liwag's Trifecta grip put the hands in a position that most laymen would raise an eyebrow to. I was looking at Flicker by Doug McKenzie and though wow that's a lot of moves to produce a coin. Definitely semms like the younger guys are doing these moves so is this the future? I wonder how Vernon would react to these unnatural movements?
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
JW grip is not, in my opinion, an unnatural movement. Google "people holding coin". I was going to post images but maybe that would be more appropriate in the Secret Sessions. Even if other magicians consider a magician to be posing in JW grip, it's a "natural pose", so to speak, and one, I think that flies right past laymen, as it flew past me, back when I viewed it before I was taught that one can conceal a coin using that position.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes MB, you are right, WSD was right. the nowhere palm and JW grip are popular because of their novelty.

BUT TOO LITTLE HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT PALM TRANSPOSITIONS. MOVING BETWEEN A HIGH MB F. PALM AND A KAPS SUBTLETY, OR BETWEEN A HIGH FP AND A TH. PALM AND KAPS..... or a back of thumb base palm (with a secret natural glue>>>))))) these can be done virtually surrounded.

people who don't perform real close up surrounded get excited about novel moves. but the ability to move between palms makes all ideas of hiding and concealing impossible in the spec's mind. along with some
"empty" displays (no not finger washing ) that prove, the coin(s ) are gone. real moves for real world situations.
?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Jw grip and nowhere palm (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL