The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte handling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
micromega123
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of micromega123
I've been practicing Color Monte and I really like the effect, however there is one move that is used twice that I'm not all that comfortable with. This is the move where you apparently show that the card is on the top instead of on the bottom where they just saw it. This move seems unnatural to me in that you're moving the cards around a bit before turning the card over rather than just turning it over (you push the middle card up a bit and the flip to show the card on top). Am I off base or is there another way to make this revelation that is more direct.
MMAgicMan
View Profile
New user
Fairfax, VA
84 Posts

Profile of MMAgicMan
The move you are talking about is the Henry Christ Alignment move.

Try learning the Double Deal Turnover. It's in Kostya Kimlat's book, Card Work, Card Play. He, like you, believed that the Christ Alignment move was awkward; thus, the Double Deal Turnover was created. It's a lot more natural looking.
Dalton Jones
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Another idea is to D/L to appear to show 'top' card. Place this on bottom of other two. Single lift to show 'middle card' and place this onto bottom card at the same time that you take out/pick up the 'bottom card'. Bring attention to it by saying something like "...and finally the bottom card" and then replace this 'bottom card' on the other two cards. Then D/L. It will appear that you have cleanly shown all three separate cards.

Then transfer the card you are intending to show to the bottom of the pile and undertake the move where one repeatedly shows the face of the bottom card (turning your wrist upwards 90 degrees) whilst transfering the face down cards from one hand to other. If done swiftly and smoothly this gives rise to the illusion that you are in fact freely showing all the three faces of all the three cards. I hope that this makes sense.

Or perhaps you could just strip out a card as I think someone mentioned before on the forum recently.
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
The patter I've been using isn't mine (and I don't know where it came from) but it rationalizes it...

"Well, if it's on bottom then it can't be (outjog center) in the middle or on top... but it IS on top and it IS in the middle..."

Likewise for the part that is the opposite,

"Well, if it's not on the bottom, it has to be in the middle or on top... but it's not on top, not in the middle... hey, you don't even HAVE a red card!"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jay Sankey's X's and O's is the best version of the effect I've seen/use. It's on his DVD "Jay Sankey Live".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Quote:
On 2008-07-04 17:01, Andy Moss wrote:
Another idea is to D/L to appear to show 'top' card. Place this on bottom of other two. Single lift to show 'middle card' and place this onto bottom card at the same time that you take out/pick up the 'bottom card'. Bring attention to it by saying something like "...and finally the bottom card" and then replace this 'bottom card' on the other two cards. Then D/L. It will appear that you have cleanly shown all three separate cards.

Then transfer the card you are intending to show to the bottom of the pile and undertake the move where one repeatedly shows the face of the bottom card (turning your wrist upwards 90 degrees) whilst transfering the face down cards from one hand to other. If done swiftly and smoothly this gives rise to the illusion that you are in fact freely showing all the three faces of all the three cards. I hope that this makes sense.

Or perhaps you could just strip out a card as I think someone mentioned before on the forum recently.

Andy/Anyone,
I once saw a friends copy of Paul Wilsons routine who also replaces the monte alignment move, but I don't remember exactly how he did it. Is Andy's description of the moves above the same? I know that the patter and the cards are completely different because Wilson uses tarrot cards, but I'm just enquiring about the replacement move(s) for the alignment move here. Thanks.
mrsmiles
(UK)
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I do not know the name of the move, but here you can see a different handling. The trick principle is the same as the Color Monte.

http://www.card-shark.de/Monkey_Monte_eng.swf

The secret lies in the preparation of the cards and is nearly self working (awful to say that, but it is really true).
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2008-07-07 15:04, Card-Shark wrote:
I do not know the name of the move, but here you can see a different handling. The trick principle is the same as the Color Monte.

http://www.card-shark.de/Monkey_Monte_eng.swf

The secret lies in the preparation of the cards and is nearly self working (awful to say that, but it is really true).

That's cute. It appears to me that you came up with the same (or at least similar) solution for replacing the awkward color monte move that I did for "Monster Monte."

http://www.magicnook.com/WizJ14/WIZ14-04......cbob.htm

I was thinking of making an effect called "Monkey Monte" for my e-book "Kards for Kids" but eventually changed it to "Monkey Business" because it turned out to not really be a monte-style effect.

http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob/Kards4Kids/KIDS02.htm
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
While this doesn't really address the issues I have with doing the Christ Alignment move in Color Monte, I think this handling will make it slightly more logical.

Try doing the alignment move by pushing the top card forward instead of backwards while pattering about the top card.

The cards are in left hand mechanics grip. Push the top card forward with your right second finger. The right thumb is then placed on the bottom end of the top card and touching the middle card (much like the role of the 2nd finger in the standard alignment move). Use the left forefinger to push the top card inwards towards your body thus aligning the top and bottom card. Your double is then pulled forward from the front rather than the back.

(I hope my description makes sense, I find a lot of difficulty in describing moves)

In essence, the mechanics of the alignment move is changed to accomodate for a forward push with the top card rather than a backwards pull. If you have no other alternative to the move, I think this would slightly improve it.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Years ago, I saw a Magician do a STAGE size version of this and he used a cute story that rhymed. Any ideas where this patter came from? No idea how the story went...but I really enjoyed it.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Jlowhy,
I am with you. It looks better.
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 23:07, Jlowhy wrote:
While this doesn't really address the issues I have with doing the Christ Alignment move in Color Monte, I think this handling will make it slightly more logical.

Try doing the alignment move by pushing the top card forward instead of backwards while pattering about the top card.

The cards are in left hand mechanics grip. Push the top card forward with your right second finger. The right thumb is then placed on the bottom end of the top card and touching the middle card (much like the role of the 2nd finger in the standard alignment move). Use the left forefinger to push the top card inwards towards your body thus aligning the top and bottom card. Your double is then pulled forward from the front rather than the back.

(I hope my description makes sense, I find a lot of difficulty in describing moves)

In essence, the mechanics of the alignment move is changed to accomodate for a forward push with the top card rather than a backwards pull. If you have no other alternative to the move, I think this would slightly improve it.

After working with this move for a spell , I agree it does look better. I am not familiar with the Sankey move from X's and O's but the above description works for me. Just my .02
Magic is Everywhere
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
R. Paul Wilson's Gypsy Monte from his Knock 'Em Dead DVD and Garrett Thomas's version of Color Monte from Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas, Volume II DVD are variants of Temple's Color Monte routine, but both have gotten rid of the Christ Alignment Move.

I have played with both of them. Garrett's solution is bold and a little more angley than Wilson's, but then Garrett is a master of "angles". He knows about eye-levels and placements. R. Paul Wilson's version is good, too. I have been trying to combine the methods.

That said, the Christ Alignment Move can work as long as you are comfortable with it and can perform it smoothly and within the context/character of the effect. I also tried Amerigo's backwards alignment, and it works like gangbusters.

Douglas M.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have a nice version I call Ambitious Monty.
I do not use the alignment move. My effect is based on the Ambitious Card theme and a Paul Harris idea.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
A lot of people new to the effect feel that the Christ Alignment move is awkward. Maybe 'cause it is an awkward move. Maybe because it is the point in which you are doing the sleight. Or, perhaps a combination of the two. Regardless, it works and if you do it smoothly with no pauses like you are doing something, nobody notices it.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Greetings,
I also thought the Christ Alignment Move seemed illogical and came up with a slightly different way to do accomplish the same move but...after playing some more with the original Christ Alignment Move I found a satisfactory solution that I really like and feel comfortable with.
I hold the cards almost level and blatantly slide back the top card toward me as I speak about the top card in the patter. Then I drop the hands so the backs of the cards are facing the spectator and at the same time finish "the move" and in a continuous motion, remove the card(s). I've done it countless times in front of a mirror as well as with spectators and dropping the hands makes the move completely invisible. A perfect case of "a larger movement covering a smaller movement".
Bob L.
tvellalott
View Profile
New user
melbourne, australia
54 Posts

Profile of tvellalott
I must have done the Christ Alignment move hundreds of times since I started doing the Color Monte and as long as you don't make it seem like a big deal, no one thinks anything of it. If anything, with the right patter it will strengthen the effect. I really love this move.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Like tvellalott I've done the HCA for years with nothing but stellar success.
This is a case of letting what is is in your head affect what you think is in their head. It's O.K. No reason to feel guilty on this one or any other one.
You are Magician; think no guilt, show no guilt, lie your pants off, cheat like a Madoff, don't even sweat so no worries if they catch a glimpse of your arm pit, use anything to get over on them. If you can't do these things you have a tough road ahead.
I'm of the opinion that fear & guilt are the two things that if mastered will go the farthest to improve your performances. So don't show any fear or guilt and enjoy your Magic so others can too. Don't expect them to believe if you don't.

Have to add that there is nothing wrong with a different handling. The motivation for it though should not be fear. Smooth is a good reason. If you fumble with the HCA and another handling is more comfortable or smoother by all means do it. I can't stress enough that the elimination of fear & guilt is important for any trick.
You know why don't act naive.
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
I've done CM thousands of times and never had an issue with that move. Just forget about it. It doesn't matter and no one notices. They're usually listening to the story.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I never had an issue with the CAM. There are times when the audience members will point and almost say "hey!" But they go silent when the middle card is revealed to have the same color. So, problematic or not, it still works within the routine.

And it could be that I think it's due to the move. It could be that they are about to say that they think it's in the middle and when I show them it's not, THAT's when they go silent.

I never asked.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte handling (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL